Wow…Sammy Watkins statement on Lamar 😬😳🥶🤦🏼‍♂️

Alphadawg7

2 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Lamar is 6 weeks out from an injury that was originally thought to be a 1 or 2 week injury.  I think it's fair to wonder what's going on.  I think the entire league is wondering what's going on with him.

Lamar gambled on himself this season and he lost.  He certainly hasn't done anything that is going to make him more money whenever and wherever he signs his next contract. 

Who said he lost.  He'll get his money.  Probably not with Baltimore though.

Murray & Watson got stoopid money.  May not be as much as Lamar wants, but he'll be fine.

It's funny how NFL fans say that they hate the schlocky meaningless media talk that players and coaches do 99% of the time.  But then when a player earnestly speaks their mind, and not even in a cruel way, people clutch at their pearls.

I'm no fan of Sammy Watkins but all he's saying is that his team is in the playoffs and he wishes their only chance of winning was on the field.

• Like (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, CoudyBills said:

Lamar isn't out there due to his contract issue.  If the knee was that bad he should have had surgery and gone to IR.  

Probably...but that's not typically something you hear other players actually say.

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Playoffs? said:

I’m sick of Lamar at this point. I absolutely think he’s dragging out this injury due to the contract situation. He’s looking out for himself, and himself only… right, wrong or indifferent.

As for Lamar the player, I may get flamed for this, but I just don’t think he’s that good. I think he’s dangerous… but not a great QB. I wouldn’t give him anywhere close to Josh/Mahomes type money.

Above all said, Sammy should keep his mouth shut.  Not his place to publicly call out anyone.   

I agree with your sentiment, but you can’t say he shouldn’t get $220+M. It’s more than Josh/Mahomes now. It’s Watson/Kyler, et al. If it was just Josh & The Rat then okay. However, more mistakes have been made forcing even more to be made in trying to pay players into greatness. It simply will never work that way because the difference between great and very good has nothing to do with money.

In this case, I expect Lamar will end up going downhill from here. He just put money ahead of his drive to become great.

3 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

It's funny how NFL fans say that they hate the schlocky meaningless media talk that players and coaches do 99% of the time.  But then when a player earnestly speaks their mind, and not even in a cruel way, people clutch at their pearls.

I'm no fan of Sammy Watkins but all he's saying is that his team is in the playoffs and he wishes their only chance of winning was on the field.

It's more the hypocrisy of a player who was known for being injured a lot calling out another player for not playing while injured.  Or accusing him of thinking more about money.

11 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

I agree with your sentiment, but you can’t say he shouldn’t get $220+M. It’s more than Josh/Mahomes now. It’s Watson/Kyler, et al. If it was just Josh & The Rat then okay. However, more mistakes have been made forcing even more to be made in trying to pay players into greatness. It simply will never work that way because the difference between great and very good has nothing to do with money.

In this case, I expect Lamar will end up going downhill from here. He just put money ahead of his drive to become great.

Well put!  Agree with everything you wrote.  

I do expect he’ll get the big money.  I’m just saying I wouldn’t pay him that. (I also wouldn’t have paid Kyler or Watson.)  When you drop that kind of coin on a player, you need to be absolutely sure of it… otherwise it’s purgatory ahead.  I’m sure the Cards and Broncos would love to weigh in on that. 

Edited by Playoffs?
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Who said he lost.  He'll get his money.  Probably not with Baltimore though.

Murray & Watson got stoopid money.  May not be as much as Lamar wants, but he'll be fine.

I think it's pretty clear he lost.

His problem with the contract the Ravens offered wasn't the amount of the contract, it was the amount of guaranteed money.  He wanted a D. Watson contract that was 100% guaranteed.

Suffering a injury and missing a third of the season including the playoffs, particularly when there is a lot of static that he really isn't that injured and may be playing games with the Ravens, is going to make a team want to give him less guaranteed money not more.

Will someone end up giving him a big contract?  Yep.  Will it have more guaranteed money than the Ravens offered him?  Probably not after this fiasco.

🍻

Let's remember that for 3 years his backup was RGIII.  I'm sure they have had lots of talks about how a once promising career was derailed by playing injured & making the injury worse.  Nobody wants to repeat what happened to RGIII, especially someone without any long term contract with guarantees.  

35 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I think it's pretty clear he lost.

His problem with the contract the Ravens offered wasn't the amount of the contract, it was the amount of guaranteed money.  He wanted a D. Watson contract that was 100% guaranteed.

Suffering a injury and missing a third of the season including the playoffs, particularly when there is a lot of static that he really isn't that injured and may be playing games with the Ravens, is going to make a team want to give him less guaranteed money not more.

Will someone end up giving him a big contract?  Yep.  Will it have more guaranteed money than the Ravens offered him?  Probably not after this fiasco.

🍻

I'm not so sure a team will give him even what the Ravens were offering.  Last year might have been a one-off.  But again this year he missed the last 1/3 and again won't be available for the playoffs.  Once is a fluke, 2 times seems like it's becoming a trend.  Are you taking a chance that he'll manage to stay healthy for the first time in 2 years?  With a fully guaranteed contract no less?  I can't see it.  That's why I think the Ravens' best move is to non-exclusive franchise tag him and tell him to shop for a contract to see what offers he'd get. 

Edited by Doc
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Virgil said:

I actually agree with Watkins.  If it weren’t for his future contract, I think Lamar would be playing.  

Living here in Baltimore, there’s been some smoke to support it 

If true the Ravens have culpability in the situation. It’s a negotiation and I understand they can’t simply cave. At the same time you have to wonder how the discussions were handled. You can usually find a way if you want to. 

45 minutes ago, Doc said:

It's more the hypocrisy of a player who was known for being injured a lot calling out another player for not playing while injured.  Or accusing him of thinking more about money.

I get that, but this is reading between the lines of what he actually said.  Is it a fair reading?  Perhaps.

EDIT:  Ok, I just re-read it.  It is a pretty blatant call out.  Still, it probably reflects the attitude of the Baltimore locker room well.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine
  • Like (+1) 1

He’s a great player, but he’s missed like 10 games over the last two season? that alone will cause some teams to pause and not offer the highest $.  You gotta be available.  Not to mention the fact he’s not the best thrower and the ravens offense even with Lamar can get stuck in the mud more often than you’d like. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.