Fox News- Josh Allen's spiritual awakening

Returntoglory

I also want to just mention that those of us who are attributing Damar's recovery to prayer are by no means discounting the fantastic work of the training staff and medical teams.  We know they had a direct hand in Damar's resuscitation and recovery.  When I pray, I don't expect to see the "hand of God" appear from the heavens to fix the problem.   Sometimes it's a matter of people being at the right place at the right time.  In thanking God, I'm thanking him for the men and women who effectively cared for Damar and for Damar's life.

You can attribute circumstances to coincidence or a higher power.  That's an individual call.

I lost in the fantasy football playoffs one year to a guy that worked for a Christian radio station.  All I needed was for my kicker (I think it was Matt Bryant with TB) to make the game winning kick vs the Carolina Panthers on Monday Night football.  The kick was blocked and I lost.  As I like to tell that story, I would relate it as "and then the Hand of God reached up and blocked the kick.  Actually, it was Julius Peppers."  😄

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Happy to always talk more in DM with you; I know faith discussions like this that go into detail are generally frowned on otherwise.   I don’t pretend to have all the answers but I’m always up for a tough in depth discussion on this topic. 👍🏻

ditto. Same. Agree. for me it always ends up being a testimony of my own life story.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

This is also true.

Is it possible that prayer helped everyone involved to perform exactly the way they needed to for Damar to survive?  It certainly helped those of us who were hoping he would survive and helped us feel like we were providing aid in our own way. 

I guess my point is if people want to believe it is a miracle and that prayer helped, what difference does it make?  I don’t hear anyone saying that others need to believe in prayer over the science and preparation that saved Damar’s life. 

And couldn’t “science” be man’s God-given intelligence and ingenuity in action?

Or maybe God allowed this to happen to bring people closer together? I saw two cities come together out of love. I saw a charity that had around $2,500 raise $5M overnight. I saw a nation come together (which seems impossible to me given how divided we’ve been).

Sometimes God allows us to go through adversities to toughen us up for future battles in life. It’s out of love, it’s tough love, but still love at that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I think it’s obvious the regime targets players of faith… so I would imagine a very large % of the locker room are devout believers in god.

They definitely don't. It's just a common byproduct of the type of person they're looking for (disciplined and humble.) Chances are the majority will have some type of religious background.

21 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

It's Gods will.

As George Carlin said;

”ran over the kid in the driveway, gods will”…, 

• Haha (+1) 1

I've always considered myself a spiritual individual and was raised in a Christian family but find it a bit "cringe" how Hamlin's recovery is attributed to Christ/God.

What about the other religions that were praying for him?  What about the incredible treatment that he received from the medical staff?

In my humble opinion, if there was ever a play where "God" may have played a helping hand, it was during the Dane Jackson neck injury earlier in the year.  I still, for the life of me, can't believe he was unscathed by that hit.

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/16/2023 at 2:04 PM, Bad Things said:

In my humble opinion, if there was ever a play where "God" may have played a helping hand, it was during the Dane Jackson neck injury earlier in the year.  I still, for the life of me, can't believe he was unscathed by that hit.

That was Edmunds' best hit of his career!

• Haha (+1) 1

On 1/16/2023 at 3:04 PM, Bad Things said:

Guys generally don't get hurt when their head goes backward.

Because of how we're designed, the danger is always when your head snaps forward.

It wasn't pretty but he was never in an real danger of serious long-term injury.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Fleezoid said:

The Cincinnati Game's at 3!

It's at 1 for me...

9 hours ago, Simon said:

Guys generally don't get hurt when their head goes backward.

Because of how we're designed, the danger is always when your head snaps forward.

It wasn't pretty but he was never in an real danger of serious long-term injury.

Yeah, that's why they say keep your head up when tackling

On 1/13/2023 at 8:24 PM, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Yeah, I definitely think that prayer is benevolent for those doing the praying.  I don't have a specific faith but I was definitely saying and thinking "Just let him be ok" that night, even if it was to nobody in particular. 

The thing that gets me is implying that the prayer worked because the outcome was good.  That necessarily means that when the outcome is bad, the prayer didn't work.  To me it's a strange way of looking at a world where terrible undeserved things happen every day, that the victims of those things don't have enough cosmic energy on their side or something while others get helped.

greetings. Rereading through the thread my thoughts as a born again Christian are several and I'll post them

1. IMO God isn't a cosmic santa claus if that makes any sense.. All that prosperity gospel grates my nerves.

2. Christians I know who are the most fervent prayer warriors always ask for Gods will to be done.  That result may or may not be what we want. Especially if you are praying for a loved ones not to die.  Ive had 2 gf's die of breast cancer and I prayed HARD for them to survive. What we trust though is that ultimate healing has occurred. And the scripture says "to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord" As Christians we see heaven as NIRVANA who wouldn't want to be there. 

anyway the thought of being where there is no more pain or suffering is very appealing to me.

I Know there is a **** ton of MESS in our world that doesn't make any sense whatsoever.  I have my questions that I have no answers to exactly either.

just sayin. Peace. m

Edited by muppy

15 hours ago, Fleezoid said:

The Cincinnati Game's at 3!

There are a ton of 3's references going on with this game.  . 3's everywhere WHOA

I'll add mine 💙💙💙

For me it has gotten to the point of okay we get it we get it.  Threes Everywhere !~!~!!!

win Win WIN that is the combination of 3 Im hoping for 🙂 

Whatever it takes.

On 1/14/2023 at 7:30 AM, HomeskillitMoorman said:

What about all of the things though that don't potentially tie up in a clean way like that? I've known people who died who loved life and their dreams were coming true and their loved ones struggled immensely after they passed. 

It seems like it aligns much more with just the randomness of life and our existences. I grew up in a Christian setting and was in the military where I probably did the. most praying I ever did in my life...and I had the opposite experience, that it wasn't powerful at all and really horrific things still happened.

It's fine if you believe in God...but you're trying to say your own individual experience means it's true. I'm not saying God doesn't exist because of my own individual experience. But I'm willing to see the full scope beyond just my personal experience or the one of any single individual. If God stepped in for Damar but not for the thousands of people who suffer tragedies every day...I'm glad he did for Damar but I've got some questions about everyone else. 

I understand where you’re coming from.  I’ve known people who passed away who were having a good life.  I’ve prayed for people and situations  and  didn’t get the results I was praying for.  For whatever reason it wasn’t in His will.  And I get upset like anyone else would.  I get upset watching the news, etc.  Then I pray for wisdom.  

My personal experience is all I can give you.  Can’t speak for others.  I can’t believe for others either and I’m really not trying to.  Just giving a different perspective.

Respect to you. 

On 1/13/2023 at 9:31 PM, Dick_Cheney said:

Eh. 

I guess it wasn’t the amazing work of the training staff that saved Hamlin then. I’m glad that god decided to let him live this go around. 

Really weird article. Wouldn’t it make more sense for god to just not have the whole situation to begin with? Why would anyone choose to believe in a god who is toying with people and apparently deciding who lives and who dies on a whim?

Give me a break. 

It's odd that people believe God uses man's "wisdom",  then apply that to a circumstance to try to refute His holiness.

Romans 1:21-23
they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and four-footed beasts, and creeping things.

On 1/14/2023 at 9:05 AM, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I respect that you at least have the humility to say you don't have all the answers. I grew up in a Christian setting and that was always so maddening to me. They didn't want to hear my questions and just couldn't admit that all the answers weren't in the Bible. And the evangelical side of it and people seemingly being OK with others being sent to Hell specifically not for being Christian was always a big turnoff for me. 

I'm firmly agnostic, I believe anything is possible and love to debate about it but I appreciate that you see that other side of it that it's incredibly hard to make sense out of all of it rather than having a condescending view that you just "know" God and others don't. 

Some verses to help your family understand why they believe the way they do. 

Romans 8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God
John 14:17 - Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. Here's some more,  Jhn 15:26, Jhn 16:13, 1 Jo 4:6.
1 Jo 5:10 - He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself
Romans 8:9 - But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Why some don't understand this.

1 Cor 2:14 - But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

I think now might be the right time to discuss Zay Jones' spiritual awakening ...

Mark 14:51-52

“And a young man followed him, with nothing but a linen cloth about his body. And they seized him, but he left the linen cloth and ran away naked.”

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.