Fox News- Josh Allen's spiritual awakening

Returntoglory

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

This is also true.

Is it possible that prayer helped everyone involved to perform exactly the way they needed to for Damar to survive?  It certainly helped those of us who were hoping he would survive and helped us feel like we were providing aid in our own way. 

I guess my point is if people want to believe it is a miracle and that prayer helped, what difference does it make?  I don’t hear anyone saying that others need to believe in prayer over the science and preparation that saved Damar’s life. 

And couldn’t “science” be man’s God-given intelligence and ingenuity in action?

Never said what people should believe and never will.  They can beleive God was involved. I choose to celebrate the science and the skill of those involved in saving his life. 

• Agree 5

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Never said what people should believe and never will.  They can beleive God was involved. I choose to celebrate the science and the skill of those involved in saving his life. 

Well, you said you didn’t want to denigrate people’s beliefs and then went on to say prayer did not save Hamlin.

You can’t have it both ways by dismissing other people’s beliefs after saying you don’t want to denigrate their beliefs. 

2 minutes ago, Michael1962 said:

So, I am in the undecided camp when it comes down to the worldview that there is a God or not.  If we choose the former then, the logical conclusion is that God is a Tom Brady fan.  Another version of the theodicy issue.

I think the Pats losing the Super Bowl after that undefeated season shows God hates Tom Brady too. 🤣

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

10 hours ago, purple haze said:

Not necessarily.  It means it wasn’t in God’s plan for that person to continue on in this realm.  The Bible says it rains on the just and the unjust.   Prayer is powerful ( I’ve seen that evidence in my own life.)  That doesn’t mean we will always get the result we want.    

We see things through a limited prism.  We see the surface of things.  We don’t know about the intricacies of every person or every situation we encounter.     For example, I had a friend who collapsed one day and passed away unexpectedly; had been taking weight loss supplements.     I also know he was seriously struggling with his station in life.   Dreams that didn’t come true, things he wanted to do for his family that he couldn’t do.   He was very unhappy.  And he carried that with him daily.  For us left behind his passing was tragic.  For him?  Maybe the Lord was merciful and brought him home so he could have peace.    Like I said we can only see through our limited prism.  

What about all of the things though that don't potentially tie up in a clean way like that? I've known people who died who loved life and their dreams were coming true and their loved ones struggled immensely after they passed. 

It seems like it aligns much more with just the randomness of life and our existences. I grew up in a Christian setting and was in the military where I probably did the. most praying I ever did in my life...and I had the opposite experience, that it wasn't powerful at all and really horrific things still happened.

It's fine if you believe in God...but you're trying to say your own individual experience means it's true. I'm not saying God doesn't exist because of my own individual experience. But I'm willing to see the full scope beyond just my personal experience or the one of any single individual. If God stepped in for Damar but not for the thousands of people who suffer tragedies every day...I'm glad he did for Damar but I've got some questions about everyone else. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Tebow wasn’t mocked, his fanboys were for insisting that he was a good/great QB. 

Yeah I still remember the last Bills home game in 2011 was against Denver.  Like at the height of Tebow mania.  

Tim played awful and the Bills won like 41-17 or something along those lines.  Which was kind of a surprise at the time.  

But anyway many Tebow Sucks chants were heard in the crowd.  There were some fans on the old BBMB that thought that was way out of line being him such a devout young man.  But yeah I think the conclusion was more they were mocking what they thought was the overhyped product on the field.  Nothing to do with his faith.  Good times 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

My father always hated back in the day when players thanked Jesus, God for their succes... He always said, God don't play favorites... 

Maybe, but that doesn't mean you can't ask.  😀  My kids would get off the boss and always have some unimportant story or detail from their day that they wanted to tell me.  I was never interested in the substance or the conversation, but always loved having them none the less.  I became interested in things that were "beneath me" because I loved my kids.

11 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I think that locker rooms are a melting pot and in general more tolerant of differences than the general public.

This.  The key to eliminating hate is remembering we are on the same team.

11 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Josh is truly a good dude. A guy with his level of talent who can literally play QB against anyone on the planet punch for punch should honestly be much cockier individual but he’s just a down to earth good human being. 

So true.  Tom Brady was "humble" on the surface but it came across as soooo fake.  Josh seems genuinely humble, good dude, guy you would like to hang with, etc.

I’ve always been someone who’s extremely analytical.  Grew up in a Christian household. 

I prayed for my uncle who was dying from cancer.  It was a long, drawn out fight full of suffering.  He didn’t win his battle.  

That didn’t shake my faith in prayer.  God doesn’t answer all prayers the way we wish he would.  

My personal reasoning for why I believe God is real .. The hollowness I feel when I’m distant.. so many of us, from the dawn of time have been born with an emptiness we seek to fill and a questioning for meaning.   Also, the fact science, which I try to explain away unexplained events with, has - to this day - not been able to tell me what preceded The Big Bang.  Until someone can tell me how energy came come from nothing, believing in an omnipresent God (energy) holds just as much weight as any other explanation.  

My chosen belief system gravitates to Jesus due to the concept of love/forgiveness.   It’s not for lack of questioning and fighting it though.. so I get it. 

Whatever you believe happened in Damar’s case .. something bigger than him occurred that night.   It created a unity in the country around prayer and re-examined the lost reliance in our country on God.  I’ve never seen anything like it. Josh noticed it, we all noticed it.. and Damar noticed it. 

Whether you believe prayer is real or maybe just placebo, so many of us turned to it last week and remembered what it felt like to focus our energy towards God, and how it feels when an entire country turns their eyes to Him. 

I understand some have had horrible experiences with religious institutions, but in terms of a spiritual moment, it seems like there are far worse things for our country than it’s people joining in unison and placing their faith in a higher power. 

As for Tebow.. the criticism always felt personal.  Yea, people were over the top in defending his play.. but the attacks did not come from an honest place (imo). 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Faith is a very personal matter. I question the sincerity, of people who wear their 'Faith' like a blinking neon sign.

You are aware that the Great Commission commends them to share their faith…..right? You are under no obligation to accept the invitation. 

13 hours ago, HerdMentality said:

I said it at the time, if I was in cardiac arrest and being worked on for 9 minutes, there's probably no better place I would choose than in front of 100,000 Bengals fans in the middle of the Bible Belt --- maybe the biggest prayer meeting since a Billy Graham crusade. Prayer is real. God is real. The preciousness of human life is what caused this outpouring of love and support from across the nation.

I disagree. I was a catholic, alter boy at SS Peter and Paul. 2 uncles priests and 1 aunt a nun. I prayed when my father had a heart attack, he still died. I prayed when my mother had cancer, she died, I prayed when my brother got cancer, he died. Didn't work for me.

Edited by nucci

18 minutes ago, SCBills said:

My personal reasoning for why I believe God is real .. The hollowness I feel when I’m distant.. so many of us, from the dawn of time have been born with an emptiness we seek to fill and a questioning for meaning.   Also, the fact science, which I try to explain away unexplained events with, has - to this day - not been able to tell me what preceded The Big Bang.  Until someone can tell me how energy came come from nothing, believing in an omnipresent God (energy) holds just as much weight as any other explanation.  

Which God created the God who caused the Big Bang? 

On 1/14/2023 at 10:59 AM, NUT said:

While we don't fully understand the universe, I think we can guarantee there is no dude in a white toga and white beard out there making sure a kickoff return happens three years and three months later. 

Humans need to do better.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Those who simplify religion to such ideas are missing the point.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Malazan said:

Which God created the God who caused the Big Bang? 

People who believe in God believe He is the alpha and omega.  Also was, always will be.  

I certainly get why someone would question that, as you have .. but science has no answer, yet, as to what created the energy that caused the Big Bang. 

We’re essentially seeking an answer to the same question. 

Edited by SCBills

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I celebrate both.

God enabling the science and skills of those involved in saving his life.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.