Who is Skylar Thompson? A look at the Dolphins' starting quarterback for the playoff game vs. Bills

HOUSE

2 hours ago, Dick_Cheney said:

I don't believe a 7th round QB has ever won a playoff game in the modern era. Possibly has not even started in one before. There's been a handful of 6 rounders of course.

So if the Bills somehow find a way to lose this game, go figure.

I mean, we *did* lose to freaking Zach Wilson this year, so isn't anything possible?

Especially when you're playing a team with a pretty strong defense, given the way we seem to be willing to give the ball away in droves this year.

Looking at Thompson's Kansas State highlights ... he looks evasive in the pocket in a style similar to Allen.  He still looks to throw while escaping the pass rush Seems to have a decent arm and is a strong runner, too.  This guy is no slouch, but he's still a rookie in the NFL in his first playoff game, so Bills ought to be able to handle him, hopefully.

https://www.kstatesports.com/sports/football/roster/skylar-thompson/7990

I saw an interview with Greg Cosell yesterday. He said while Thompson can use his legs to convert 3rd downs, etc. he’s not reading the defense well in pre snap or during the play. So if the Bills confuse him with coverages they should be successful.

I mean the guy has hardly enough NFL experience to be able to perform at a high level, but we’ve now seen Brock Purdy so anything can happen i suppose.

20 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Here is a look at the 25-year-old who will be starting this weekend

image.png.25551adb646f16564f4af369e30b6875.png

There will be a two rookie quarterbacks starting on Super Wild Card Weekend and Miami Dolphins' Skylar Thompson is one of them. Quarterback Tua Tagovailoa is out for the first-round playoff game against the Buffalo Bills (Sunday, 1 p.m. ET), meaning Thompson will get the start. Tagovailoa has been in the concussion protocol since Dec. 26, after he suffered his second concussion of the year. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/who-is-skylar-thompson-a-look-at-the-dolphins-starting-quarterback-for-the-playoff-game-vs-bills/

We call him a practice dummy. 

17 minutes ago, ChasBB said:

Looking at Thompson's Kansas State highlights ... he looks evasive in the pocket in a style similar to Allen.  He still looks to throw while escaping the pass rush Seems to have a decent arm and is a strong runner, too.  This guy is no slouch, but he's still a rookie in the NFL in his first playoff game, so Bills ought to be able to handle him, hopefully.

Every players college highlight film looks great. Here’s Josh Rosen’s

• Agree 1

His highlights show a guy who floats passes, kinda Tua-esq in that regard. 

52 minutes ago, ChasBB said:

He has averaged about 150 yards in his starts.  I think the Bills will be fine. Especially considering half their OLine will be out.

Edited by Big Turk

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

He has averaged about 150 yards in his starts.  I think the Bills will be fine. Especially considering half their OLine will be out.

Yeah, I agree - Bills should be okay.  Hope to see the Bills' pass rush get to him very early in the game so that he never gets an opportunity to develop any confidence.

3 hours ago, zow2 said:

I saw an interview with Greg Cosell yesterday. He said while Thompson can use his legs to convert 3rd downs, etc. he’s not reading the defense well in pre snap or during the play. So if the Bills confuse him with coverages they should be successful.

I mean the guy has hardly enough NFL experience to be able to perform at a high level, but we’ve now seen Brock Purdy so anything can happen i suppose.

I think Brock Purdy is an interesting comparator.  He's succeeding because the '9ers have the #1 defense in the league, because they have a top-10 run game, and because Shanahan is able to craft a system which gives the QB easy decisions.

In theory, as a Shanahan disciple, Mike McDaniel should be able to do something similar for Skyler Thompson.

To date, it hasn't worked out as well, in part because who Miami is this season is very different from who SF is: much less run game, offense built to exploit WR speed, not as good defense, (I think) not as good run game.

I think McDaniel believes the Bills have weaknesses on D and on O he can exploit, but that remains to be seen.

9 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

The big question is, to knock out of game or not knock out of game? The Bills defense has a history of removing starting QBs from games. Do we want to do this and have Teddy Bridgwater come in or treat Skylar with kids gloves?

We want to Just Play Ball.  You see a play, you make a play, what happens happens.

If we play with "love" as @Simon quipped about parts of the Patriots game, or think about "kid gloves", we may lose; I don't think you can win playing that way.

3 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

Every players college highlight film looks great. Here’s Josh Rosen’s

OMG that first deep pass - it took forever to get there and the receiver had to come back for it.  If he led him and hit him in stride, woulda been a TD

The reason why people didn't believe in Josh Allen's mobility in Wyoming, was because they looked at the competition he faced and said "yeah, in the NFL, he won't be able to get away because the opponents are faster and bigger and stronger". 

Except that when Josh Allen got to the NFL, it was "Hold My Beer".

Edited by Beck Water

5 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

He’s not unknown. There is enough film on him playing in the Dolphins system to develop a game plan.

I disagree with you in theory. He has not played nearly enough for anyone to find out if the kid has a big ceiling or not. To soon.

What we do know is the play calling. Second half against the Jets many of the same plays got called over and over again. Same plays Tua Sees.

This has been proven.

What we do not know is, has he been held back do to him being a young QB? Do they Expand the play book for Sky, now that he has 2 games under his belt?

So much we know based on film. So much we still do not know.

On 1/13/2023 at 3:25 PM, Dick_Cheney said:

I don't believe a 7th round QB has ever won a playoff game in the modern era. Possibly has not even started in one before. There's been a handful of 6 rounders of course.

So if the Bills somehow find a way to lose this game, go figure.

Brock Purdy won today, so we don't have to worry about that issue.  Just take care of business and Buffalo will be fine.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.