Kickers can be cheaters too...

Just Jack

13 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

"Chiefs holder Tommy Townsend can be seen apparently picking up a small object from the field after a game-winning 58-yard field goal by kicker Harrison Butker."

I'm stunned.

Is that real or a joke?

Gotta wonder. The holder has been faulted for some of Butker's misses this year. The old holder, cant remember his name, had given some public tips for Townsend. Then Townsend basically replied like a spoiled brat saying he doesn't need to take any tips from an old player. Sounds like he may of come up with his own solution. Maybe it allows the ball to spin easier and get the laces in proper position?

Edit: here's some context

Edited by Herc11

13 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I'm guessing it is like a ball marker in golf, so the holder knows exactly where the kicker wants the ball placed.  

I don't think that's it, but I'm not a kicker.

I'm thinking a small, hard, flat surface that provides a firm contact point for the tip of the ball above the level of the grass, slightly.

Like a hard contact point so the kicker's foot gets more under the ball.

If anyone figures this out, I'd love to hear about it.

10 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

lol love it. Like a little tiny tee that makes it that much easier to hold and plant the ball? 

if you aint cheatin’ you aint tryin’

I knew Belichick was on this board

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

is it a mini tee? allows for more height and distance? 

I think it just gives the kicker and the holder a visual of exactly where the ball is going to be

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 1/13/2023 at 9:51 AM, Nextmanup said:

I'm thinking a small, hard, flat surface that provides a firm contact point for the tip of the ball above the level of the grass, slightly.

Put a quarter on grass and let me know what happens. Furthermore, put a quarter on grass, and then try to place a football perfectly right on top of that quarter. My bet is that you can try it 100x and not get it a single time. 

Im not going to pretend to know what the exact purpose of that item is here, but I can’t see how it would be used to place directly underneath the football. Objectively speaking it almost has to be a market used to ensure the football is placed on the same line as the marker (but not directly on the marker)

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/12/2023 at 9:03 PM, Rew said:

"small white foreign object"... What is the theory on this?  Is it like a slip pad or something that the nose of the ball hopefully lands on to kick further?  Is it a friction pad to help get the ball center stabilized easier for better aim?  I don't see see anything the equivalent of a tee being possible to land on in real time.  The info on what was being used is lacking...

It's one o'dem lil plastic tables they stick on da pizza.

• Haha (+1) 2

On 1/13/2023 at 10:51 AM, Nextmanup said:

I'd imagine if its a small disc that gives the end point a smoother kickoff surface the object might be sticky with a little stem protruding the bottom to anchor to the field the sticky end the holder places it on bottom tip of ball as he get it and spins the laces out.  As he plants the ball on ground the little stickied tee will remain under where the ball was placed that's the part they pick up after kick.  Least I find that more  likely than spinning a ball and placing its tip to such an exact small area is not likely happening. 

Edited by AuntieEm

4 hours ago, bobobonators said:

Put a quarter on grass and let me know what happens. Furthermore, put a quarter on grass, and then try to place a football perfectly right on top of that quarter. My bet is that you can try it 100x and not get it a single time. 

Im not going to pretend to know what the exact purpose of that item is here, but I can’t see how it would be used to place directly underneath the football. Objectively speaking it almost has to be a market used to ensure the football is placed on the same line as the marker (but not directly on the marker)

Watch any of the linked videos in article lol they show a solid 7 or 8 instances of it, flawless

looks like a tiny mini golf tee of sorts

Edited by BillsShredder83

7 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Watch any of the linked videos in article lol they show a solid 7 or 8 instances of it, flawless

looks like a tiny mini golf tee of sorts

It’s called a block 

A very tiny one 

Until the 1980s college kickers were allowed to use a block which gave them maybe an eighth or a quarter inch off the ground

Obviously not allowed in college anymore or the pros but I would assume it’s just like a tiny half dollar like piece that sets the ball up a fraction 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I need to know more about how this affects the Bills before developing my opinion. Does Bass use this and benefit from it? If so, it's no big deal and everyone should relax. If he doesn't, all these cheating bums on other teams should be punished to the maximum extent of the law and all their teams' past super bowl victories vacated. 

• Like (+1) 1

The Dallas kicker needs to figure out how to get some of this cheating going! 

Dude missed 4 extra points in a row last night.

You can't argue that is not PURE PSYCHOLOGY.

And yet some people rely so heavily on statistics and refuse to accept that psychology is a HUGE part of sports, even at the highest levels.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.