Kickers can be cheaters too...

Just Jack

Officials told to watch for illegal foreign objects used for FG and XP attempts | Football Zebras

Game officials will have a heightened sense of awareness regarding field goal holders attempting to use a small object upon which to place the ball when holding for a field goal, after such a practice was observed in a Week 14 game.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

"Chiefs holder Tommy Townsend can be seen apparently picking up a small object from the field after a game-winning 58-yard field goal by kicker Harrison Butker."

I'm stunned.

Prediction: 3rd round comp pick to the Chiefs. NFL apologizes for ever doubting their greatness.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

"small white foreign object"... What is the theory on this?  Is it like a slip pad or something that the nose of the ball hopefully lands on to kick further?  Is it a friction pad to help get the ball center stabilized easier for better aim?  I don't see see anything the equivalent of a tee being possible to land on in real time.  The info on what was being used is lacking...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

38 minutes ago, Rew said:

"small white foreign object"... What is the theory on this?  Is it like a slip pad or something that the nose of the ball hopefully lands on to kick further?  Is it a friction pad to help get the ball center stabilized easier for better aim?  I don't see see anything the equivalent of a tee being possible to land on in real time.  The info on what was being used is lacking...

I'm guessing it is like a ball marker in golf, so the holder knows exactly where the kicker wants the ball placed.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

I'm guessing it is like a ball marker in golf, so the holder knows exactly where the kicker wants the ball placed.  

It also helps the ball go farther if there's something between the grass/turf and the bottom of the ball. I used to kick in high school and even something as thin as a poker chip helped.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

"Chiefs holder Tommy Townsend can be seen apparently picking up a small object from the field after a game-winning 58-yard field goal by kicker Harrison Butker."

I'm stunned.

I hope these guys wouldn't resort to this type of behavior in a playoff game. Like - off the top of my head - a divisional round matchup where you need a big kick to force overtime, for example.

• Shocked 1

57 minutes ago, Rew said:

It allows the ball to be slightly higher meaning the kicker can get further under the ball and kick it farther 

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Angry 1

2 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

I'm stunned.

Honestly, this should be bigger news especially since it was during a game winning kick (and how many times before?) As if having to beat Patrick Mahomes isn’t enough already for teams.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.