The Wall of Fame - been a while...

JÂy RÛßeÒ

Meatball is a Lock Kyle Williams has it ALL PLUS Longevity. No Brainer

Butch Byrd is an inspired Great choice from those who remember him from back in the day.

Those 2 for sure. The wall better not run out of space for all the folks that will end up Belonging!

m

Edited by muppy
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The drought happened because our players weren’t very good.  I’m not sure there’s an argument to put any of them on the Wall, even though we fondly remember the few who stood out.  The players up there now (with the exception of Bob Kalsu, of course) were either part of great teams or put up eye-popping numbers, or both.  

Byrd should be up there; that’s a terrible oversight. But nobody from the drought era stood out like he did.  

After that, I’m good with waiting until it’s time to honor the current crop. 

To add:  Moulds was a very good player.  But to me he was part of the decline of our franchise after the mid-to-late ‘90s. Same with Ruben Brown. For the most part, the playoff games I remember them playing in were wrenching losses. 

Edited by BRH
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

I agree that Kyle and Fred should probably be there.  I think I had heard / read that they may do some kind of area inside the stadium honoring former players (I was imagining something like monument park at Yankee stadium) - I wonder if that will replace the wall of fame or if it will be in addition.

That’s a good question.  Wall space is expensive these days.  That’s prime advertising space so I wouldn’t be surprised if they replaced it with something else. 

1 hour ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Eric Moulds is THE BEST BILL I have seen play not to be on that wall, period. He should be duly honored as he will never don a gold jacket for the NFL HOF because of the chronic inability of the organization to get a quarterback worth a damn.

I'm all aboard the Moulds train at this point.

Watching old highlights of him is insane dude looks like a TE. He was always big but going back and rewatching him is a trip. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Watching old highlights of him is insane dude looks like a TE. He was always big but going back and rewatching him is a trip. 

Sometimes I daydream about him being on this current Bills team. Or Lee Evans. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

For sure... those days were rough for the most part. We got a half-life version of Drew Bledsoe and a lot of crap... and there are a lot of Bills fans out there now who didn't live that experience. I'm extremely grateful for what we have now, unlike in the 90s when having seasons like this year's were routine and I was much younger.

I think it's fine that not many drought era players should be remembered in such a way.  I feel we're experiencing a weird nostalgia for those days now (lower expecations, more fun?) but it was miserable.  That said, the greatest player of that generation was Kyle Williams and his face is also the enduring image of the drought being broken so he belongs.

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

I have been beating the Schobel drum for years and will continue to.

• Nine seasons with the Bills ... the only team he played for.
  • In eight of those seasons, he played all 16 games.
  • Second most sacks in Bills history (78).

I think he has earned his spot.

Schobel is a pretty private person and has disappeared from the public eye. I honestly wonder if he would want the honor 

13 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

Mounds isn’t drought era though is he?

The majority of Moulds' career was during the drought. He was a part of 3 playoff teams in 96, 98, and 99. He was on the Bills through the 2005 season so he was there for a good chunk of the drought.

14 hours ago, Gugny said:

I have been beating the Schobel drum for years and will continue to.

• Nine seasons with the Bills ... the only team he played for.
  • In eight of those seasons, he played all 16 games.
  • Second most sacks in Bills history (78).

I think he has earned his spot.

For years he was the only good pass rusher on the team, and he was VERY good. He followed Bruce Smith so many folks expected another all time great. 

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.