Cole Beasley signed to the 53.

CorkScrewHill

I’m confused why they signed him to the 53 with unlimited call ups? Seems Brown was more deserving of its for contractual reasons.

2 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

More worried someone would sign Beasley off their practice squad? 

Beasley can reject it. He wouldn’t be forced to go to another team 

This opens a clear path for Brown on game days.  In the Playoffs they have unlimited call ups.  I expect Buffalo to have active 6 active Diggs, Davis, Mckenzie, Beasley, Brown and Shakir. Depending on matchup and scheme I think you will see many unique formations. Also an uptick in 10 personnel.  Buffalo ran a thin Wr room much of the year.  I think that all changes now.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, babulator said:

He better have fresh legs. It's time for him to put up now...

Last season he played 692 snaps, this year 41 between Buf and Tampa.

I did notice Tampa had him playing special teams, wonder if that had something to do with him leaving there.

36 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Why wouldn't they sign Brown and call up Beasley?? 

34 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

It's possible a team tried to poach Beasley from our practice squad, so we signed him to 53 to match the $

Because the injured player he is being called up for is McKenzie in the slot.

You don’t sign Brown to the roster to fill a slot need - you sign the slot guy.

Yes if no one else gets injured it matters very little if it is Brown or Beasley, but with Phillips already injured and we are short at DT and DE - another injury like Settle may mean you have to call up two DL players and then you are stuck with Brown, Diggs, Davis on the outside and only Shakir as a slot WR.

I don’t think it has anything to do with anything other than proper roster maintenance.

They plugged in for the injury.

37 minutes ago, StHustle said:

I’m confused why they signed him to the 53 with unlimited call ups? Seems Brown was more deserving of its for contractual reasons.

Beasley can reject it. He wouldn’t be forced to go to another team 

McKenzie Hamstring injury - he is most likely out at least this game and maybe next week.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

This opens a clear path for Brown on game days.  In the Playoffs they have unlimited call ups.  I expect Buffalo to have active 6 active Diggs, Davis, Mckenzie, Beasley, Brown and Shakir. Depending on matchup and scheme I think you will see many unique formations. Also an uptick in 10 personnel.  Buffalo ran a thin Wr room much of the year.  I think that all changes now.

If we're going to run that much 10 then just cut Tommy Sweeney as to me he's waste of a roster spot. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Beasley adds nothing to this receiving core. I know he became some hero to weirdos but he just isn’t good anymore. 

I don't know how you can watch this year and say that.  If he can just settle in a zone and convert 3rd and 5 he brings something to the table.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, SectionC3 said:

The bet here is that McKenzie and Phillips don’t play this week, that Beasley takes McKenzie’s spot, and that John Brown and Brandin Bryant are PS elevations. 

You would win that bet.  I'm sure that is exactly what the plan is.

Add that Crowder is in the 21 days window which will be perfect if another slot receiver is injured.

If everyone (in the slot) is healthy for the SB then Crowder can just go back to IR.

The Bills front office is a lot more forward thinking than some people give them credit for.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

That’s pretty much what I thought too. They want both Beasley and brown active but are going to need a DT. Settle got hurt in practice today too 

Kinda disappointed in the way Settle has played all year. Having Bease and Smoke available is huge, even if it's just a handful of targets. Bryant hopefully can fill in for JP.

Cole’s salary just went way up. I think(and someone more knowledgeable correct me if needed) PS contracts top out around $350K for the season and vet min for Cole with service time is over $1M. That could be a factor in the decision. Throwing him a bonus sorta? McKenzie being hurt probably makes more sense though.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

I think you are more concerned since so far this year he has not shown much.

I hoped for more but despite drops including bad throws by Josh blamed on him Isaiah McKenzie he has played well at times.

42 receptions for 423 yards with 4 TD received and 1 TD running.  All of this for contract with a base salary of $1,750,000, a roster bonus of $375,000 and a workout bonus of $100,000.    He was active every day and as Coach McD says availability is important.  

Beasley has had 1 reception in 2 games and has not carried load McKenzie has.

Again I hope for more.

I get your point of view here...but stats between the two are not really a factor here or comparable.  Obviously, McKenzie had more volume and Cole has not played a lot of football in the past year and wasn't going to jump right back into a heavy role.  He needs to learn the offense (it is different from when Cole was here last) and round into game shape.

Now, that being said...it really comes down to what these guys can offer the offense.  McKenzie is a finesse player who relies on his speed and quickness.  But he isn't a polished route runner.  He also has some unreliability to him with his hands, and he is not very good at tough yards or tough catches.  But the single biggest factor may be just how much more cerebral a player Cole is over McKenzie.  And having that on field IQ in the playoffs has value.

To be clear, I am not predicting Cole will suddenly start and dominate snaps.  I am not even convinced McKenzie will be inactive this week as some have predicted in this thread.  But I do think we will see Cole used a bit more in the playoffs than he was in the couple reg season games he was active in.  And I do think its possible we will see Cole in over McKenzie on key downs or moments in the game.  

The wildcard for me at slot is Crowder.  If everyone is healthy, he might be the 2nd best WR on this team.  But his disadvantage is not having a lot of time on the field with Josh due to injury, and timing and rapport is critical.  So be interesting to see how much he mixes in if he does come back in the playoffs.

• Agree 1

This move is really puzzling to me. As others have said, Beasley could have been called up for any or all of the playoff games without any roster moves being required, so the McKenzie injury can't be the primary reason for the move.  Beas also stated when he resigned that this was where he really wanted to be and as such he could refuse any offer to go to another team's 53 to stay here.  He would get a pay bump to the vet minimum for the games where he was called up, so the only plausible scenario I can see is that another team tried to sign him to something above the vet min and the Bills decided to do him a solid and match the other offer.  That said, the idea of going to a new team and new system just before a playoff run also seems pretty remote, unless that team happened to be the Giants and the Daboll offense. This move also complicates what might be done to open a slot on the 53 for Crowder if and when he's ready to go, since Murray seemed to be the most obvious cut available. We'll likely never know, but there must be more to this move than we can see.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2

7 minutes ago, dreadlox said:

Cole’s salary just went way up. I think(and someone more knowledgeable correct me if needed) PS contracts top out around $350K for the season and vet min for Cole with service time is over $1M. That could be a factor in the decision. Throwing him a bonus sorta? McKenzie being hurt probably makes more sense though.

Not exactly sure (I'm going to keep an eye on it) but players are paid through the league for the playoffs.

They don't count against the cap from everything I have ever seen.

https://en.as.com/nfl/how-much-do-nfl-players-get-for-playing-in-the-playoffs-n/

NFL playoffs pay rates

Here is how much a player would get in each round of the NFL playoffs in 2023.

Division winners participating in the Wild Card round - $46,500

Other Wild Card teams- $41,500

Wild Card first-round byes- $41,500

Divisional playoff game- $46,500

Conference Championship game- $69,000

Super Bowl champion- $157,000

Super Bowl losing team- $82,000

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.