Random Interesting Charts/Pictures of various things

Big Turk

21 minutes ago, muppy said:

@ExiledInIllinois he'll love this 🙂

I enjoyed the visual map at the top.  beautiful

I actually found the "Tile Vector Map of Unfair Insularity" rather fascinating!

tile-vector-map-of-unfair-insularity.jpg

Which led me to this page:

"Musings on Maps"

https://dabrownstein.com/2014/09/27/national-waters-legal-fictions-and-rivers-of-fertilizer/

National Waters, Legal Fictions, and Rivers of Fertilizer

If drawn maps rely on distinguishing lines of property, territoriality, or even shorelines, the overlaps of more interactive web maps provide new strategies to trace the complexity of relations between land and water.  The projection of the network of rivers within the United States Jason Davies mapped above, in the header to this post, creates an entrancing web of the body of rivers less as a network, but a nourishing group of waterways.  The map’s beauty provokes us to rethink relations between land and water.  In rendering rivers, rather than territory, it suggests how a dynamic mapping of layers and overlays from directly and remotely sensed data might lead to a range of new cartographical strategies to chart the increasingly complex relationships between land and water in ways that would be less concerned to abstract the waterways or supplies of water from their surrounding environment, but to integrate water into the landscape and ecosystem which it nourishes–or the ways that the entry of pollutants into that hydrographic network might compromise local ecosystems across the country.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I actually found the "Tile Vector Map of Unfair Insularity" rather fascinating!

tile-vector-map-of-unfair-insularity.jpg

Which led me to this page:

"Musings on Maps"

https://dabrownstein.com/2014/09/27/national-waters-legal-fictions-and-rivers-of-fertilizer/

National Waters, Legal Fictions, and Rivers of Fertilizer

If drawn maps rely on distinguishing lines of property, territoriality, or even shorelines, the overlaps of more interactive web maps provide new strategies to trace the complexity of relations between land and water.  The projection of the network of rivers within the United States Jason Davies mapped above, in the header to this post, creates an entrancing web of the body of rivers less as a network, but a nourishing group of waterways.  The map’s beauty provokes us to rethink relations between land and water.  In rendering rivers, rather than territory, it suggests how a dynamic mapping of layers and overlays from directly and remotely sensed data might lead to a range of new cartographical strategies to chart the increasingly complex relationships between land and water in ways that would be less concerned to abstract the waterways or supplies of water from their surrounding environment, but to integrate water into the landscape and ecosystem which it nourishes–or the ways that the entry of pollutants into that hydrographic network might compromise local ecosystems across the country.

Hahaha This totally fits hermano... Me the artist choose the colorful visual whilst yourself enjoy partaking  maps of unfair insularity.

muppy says unfair whut...?

LOL

😁

1 minute ago, muppy said:

Hahaha This totally fits hermano... Me the artist choose the colorful visual whilst yourself enjoy partaking  maps of unfair insularity.

muppy says unfair whut...?

LOL

😁

Yeah! 

😊 

I am assuming unfair as being insular, or isolated.

"INSULAR

1 : characteristic of an isolated people especially : being, having, or reflecting a narrow provincial viewpoint."

I count 3 states that that are insular solely within their drawn borders: Vermont, Rhode Island, & Delaware. 

• Like (+1) 1

Seeing as this thread is about "pictures of various things," meaning effectively, "anything," I thought I'd post this as I find it interesting.

This shows German soldiers some time after June 1941, somewhere in Russia most likely.

The sign reads: "Here begins the (swear word for buttocks) of the world."

s-l500.jpg

On 2/17/2023 at 7:48 AM, Nextmanup said:

Seeing as this thread is about "pictures of various things," meaning effectively, "anything," I thought I'd post this as I find it interesting.

This shows German soldiers some time after June 1941, somewhere in Russia most likely.

The sign reads: "Here begins the (swear word for buttocks) of the world."

s-l500.jpg

the writing looks photoshopped

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/17/2023 at 8:42 AM, muppy said:

THE MOUTH OF THE EXTINCT MEGALODON SHARK IN COMPARISON TO A MODERN-DAY GREAT WHITE SHARK

whoa.

shark.jpg

How’d you like to meet that riding your paddle board?

On 2/18/2023 at 10:22 PM, major said:

C0F81B97-FCAA-4029-B9CA-00D07EC6DB0F.jpeg

As I always thought.  Everyone hates Dallas   As it should be

On 2/17/2023 at 9:48 AM, Nextmanup said:

The sign reads: "Here begins the (swear word f😅or buttocks) of the world."

s-l500.jpg

Shouldn't that be at the Massachusetts state line?

• 2 months later...

That picture of the Arizona is from the later 50s. My dad was stationed on the crash crew  at the naval airfield on Ford Island in 1950-1951 (never had  plane crash  or have problems landing while he was there). He told me the superstructure of the Arizona was still attached  and sticking out of the water while he was there. He also told me they kept the bullet holes in the walls of the barracks  to remind them. 

My parents  visited  Oahu in 1986 and the barracks were replaced with retired admiral housing then.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.