Drive to win?

AlfaBill

Hello friends. I was thinking about the adversity this team has faced all year, no need to rehash as everyone knows. I then started to think about 13 seconds and that got me thinking of the 90’s bills.

A lot of people believe that if the Bills had won one of the first 2 Sbs they would not have gone back again at least consecutive seasons. The thought was the losing when they were so close drove them to get back. 

Do you guys think that being so close last year and yet so far is driving this team through the adversity?

You think if they had won the SB last year this team would have folded? 

curious to know your thoughts. 

2 hours ago, AlfaBill said:

Hello friends. I was thinking about the adversity this team has faced all year, no need to rehash as everyone knows. I then started to think about 13 seconds and that got me thinking of the 90’s bills.

A lot of people believe that if the Bills had won one of the first 2 Sbs they would not have gone back again at least consecutive seasons. The thought was the losing when they were so close drove them to get back. 

Do you guys think that being so close last year and yet so far is driving this team through the adversity?

You think if they had won the SB last year this team would have folded? 

curious to know your thoughts. 

I think if the illuminati continue on their current course then the lizard people are going to be the QBs of the future past and we will have to worry about tiny robots that can form a neural network capable of playing linebacker better than Tremaine Edmunds. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I think the team shows up for each game and the guys try their best.  And that's it.  

I think fans create emotion driven narratives like this because it's part of the human condition.

It comes from the players' and coaches' and GM's own mouths. They've always dreamed of winning a Super Bowl.

Some are more driven than others, for sure.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If you win the Super Bowl I believe each player on the roster gets around 300k more than they would have if they missed the playoffs.  You make a certain amount for each playoff game.  DON'T MISS THAT GAME WINNER BASS!!!  For a veteran on a minimum deal that's like a 1/3 of their salary for the whole year.  That's pry the main motivation.

Edited by Doc Brown

Money or not, I believe these guys want to win the Super Bowl!

It's why they dreamed of becoming a football player since they were five, pretending to throw the game winning TD in the backyard, just like most of us--difference is they were so much more obsessed (and gifted) that they actually made it to the NFL.

Draymond Green from the NBA Warriors recently said in an interview that winning their first championship was the best feeling he's ever had in his life.

I think it would be for most of the Bills too.

2 hours ago, Ray Stonada said:

P.S. I truly think if the Bills had had Hyde, Poyer, Von Miller, and Crowder the whole year, they would be 17-0 or 16-1 heading into the playoffs. They were on a mission and even when hugely shorthanded they fought like dogs to win every game. 

I get that. My point was with all of the adversity (injuries) would they still be where they are right now had they won the SB last year. 

7 hours ago, Malazan said:

I think if the illuminati continue on their current course then the lizard people are going to be the QBs of the future past and we will have to worry about tiny robots that can form a neural network capable of playing linebacker better than Tremaine Edmunds. 

Sure. 

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I think the team shows up for each game and the guys try their best.  And that's it.  

I think fans create emotion driven narratives like this because it's part of the human condition.

Really? So your belief would be that had the Bills won the SB last year, they’d still be 13-3 today with all they had to deal right this year? I think that a huge part of the motivation is that they were so close last year. I guess we’ll never know just thought it would make an interesting conversation. 

I do agree that if 13 seconds hadn’t happened last year and the team had instead won the Super Bowl

already, this team wouldn’t be where it is today.  It brings up butterfly effect for me.  Would Beane have approached the off-season differently?  Would the players have trained with less of an edge?  Would there have been a general feeling of content, in moments where this team has instead found some extra mental and physical stamina?

We obviously will never know, but personally I think there’s truth to this idea.

• Like (+1) 1

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

I do agree that if 13 seconds hadn’t happened last year and the team had instead won the Super Bowl

already, this team wouldn’t be where it is today.  It brings up butterfly effect for me.  Would Beane have approached the off-season differently?  Would the players have trained with less of an edge?  Would there have been a general feeling of content, in moments where this team has instead found some extra mental and physical stamina?

We obviously will never know, but personally I think there’s truth to this idea.

I think that is why it’s so hard to repeat. Tom Brady famously finds things to keep him extra motivated. 

Is this another one of those time and space being the same deals, or is this about what’s his names cat? 

asking for a friend, 

I have always thought had the Bills won Super Bowl 25 against the Giants, they would have ended up with 3 championships and no losses, and would have been the Team of the Decade…

After beating the Giants, they would have repeated against the Redskins- if you recall, the game started slow because the Bills were uptight after their loss the previous year…If they had a superbowl victory under their belts, they likely would have been more confident and relaxed, and opened up a lead against Washington…

1992, when Kelly got hurt, is the year I don’t think they would have gone back to the superbowl…Having won the previous 2 superbowls, I could see them not having the drive to overcome 31-3 against the Oilers in the Wild Card game…To me, they won that game BECAUSE of the superbowl losses- and determined to make it right…

Then in 1993, the Bills would go back to the Big game, and would’ve had the confidence to finish off a Cowboys team that they had take the lead on, going into halftime…I’ll never forget what Jimmy Johnson said going into the tunnel midway through the contest…He said he knew his team  would win because when he looked over at the Bills, even though they had played well and were up 13-6, the look on their faces seemed like they had already lost…I never forgot that…🤯

Bills would have been 3-0 in superbowls, and all because they would’ve had the confidence after beating the Giiants…Oh well…one can dream…👍

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ray Stonada said:

P.S. I truly think if the Bills had had Hyde, Poyer, Von Miller, and Crowder the whole year, they would be 17-0 or 16-1 heading into the playoffs. They were on a mission and even when hugely shorthanded they fought like dogs to win every game. 

We had a couple of first round draft picks and other key players also lose time.  Milano, Edmunds, Oliver.  Those guys would be the best player on the team for a lot of other franchises.  And yet despite all those defensive players being out, it wasn't the defense that led to the three losses (total of 8 points) it was the offense that couldn't sustain drives in a couple of games.  It was the offense that fumbled, giving away the Vikings game after the defense had that great goal line stand.  It was the offense that didn't convert a TD pass right at the end of the Miami loss.  Aside from Crowder and some short-term injuries to the O line, the offense did not have anything like what happened to the defense wrt injuries. Allen, Diggs and nine JAGs on offense is not good enough.

5 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Like McDermott says… this isn’t a soap opera, it’s a football game. It’s obviously an emotional game but I do agree it’s fans and media who tend to focus on everything outside of the x’s and o’s

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.