Gonna throw this out there and then duck lol. Pass rush.

John from Riverside

BUF unique competitive differentiation is a QB1 that can make any throw, deeper and run than 29 other teams. + Bills D defense built to bend, keep teams to “3”

extend your advantage by true WR2 and OL so your unique QB1 advantage is fully leveraged, exploited to the fullest   (D benefits too). 

Edited by Since1981

Well, no. 

Saffold is on a one year deal , so he won't be back in all likelihood.  Bates, Shnow, Morse signed long term, Brown on rookie deal....Doyle will come back from injury and Boettger is already back now , so next year its Bates/Boettger at guard, Schnow/Brown at tackles.   I am good with that, but yeah need a guard in the draft in the 2nd  or 3rd round for sure to build depth and replace Saffold/Quess...   Guys like Hart and VanRoten are playing bc Doyle and Ike have been hurt.   

6 hours ago, special-teams said:

Von was NOT a big time player this season.  Mostly coverage sacks and not good against the run/

Come on dude....Did you watch the games like at all....  he is the only player that can get around the edge. The only issue with Von is there is only one of him.

Basham and Epenesa need to be replaced they do nothing, that other DE buried on the depth chart made more impact then both of them . Groot I wish would try going up field and then use those long arms to turn the corner.  Lawson saved this group's ass once Von got hurt. 

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

so, the question is, do we? Basham has not been good enough, and in a rotation Epenesa does not appear to make enough plays or two best ends appear to be Groot and Shaq Lawson who was back on a minimum deal

Frankly, I don't give a damn one way or another if we have enough pass rushers or not.  The #1 priority this offseason is to get our generational QB some protection and some help.  Josh Allen is the future of the Buffalo Bills.  He engineered 13 wins behind a middling OL.  Imagine what he could do with the best OL in the league, which should be our goal.  Our defense is good enough already.  We need to release the Kraken known as Josh Allen.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Our O-line certainly lacks, shall we say “capacity”, in many ways. If Beane wants to keep the QB healthy and happy, it would be beneficial short and long term to actually have an O-line that isn’t held together with bailing wire and chewing gum…, jmo, but in all reality, who cares about my opinion, 😂

GO BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, MJS said:

Going into a draft planning to draft only on one side of the ball is not smart. What if you get to your pick and there are no offensive players there worth the value? And what if you trade back and get to your next pick and it is the same?

You have to follow your draft board. Besides, the Bills need depth on defense as well. Draft the best player available on your board.

Fine…use a 5th on defense. Happy?

9 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

We have put a huge amount of draft resources into our defense of line over recent years

We paid Von Miller that huge contract

Groot has been excellent

I am wondering how this board will feel if another highly rated pass rusher is on the board in the first round of the draft and they end up taking them over a pass protector or a wide receiver

I’m not endorsing it I’m just saying that it’s possible if they go best player available and given the fact that Von Miller is coming back off of an ACL injury and we don’t know how long it’s going to be before he can actually play

Jerry Hughes signed a contract with another team, the Texans I believe but he’s getting on an age. I wonder if they were lease him for cap Considerations if fans would like to have him back rather than using a first round pick on a pass rusher

I don't know if it's necessary...hard to find a really good edge guy that far down and as other teams are showing you can find good players in the 2nd round and lower with a little luck.

Look at James Houston in Detroit...finished with 8 sacks and the first game he played was against us on Thanksgiving(where he had 2 sacks). I believe he was a 6th round pick.

Edited by Big Turk

50 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Frankly, I don't give a damn one way or another if we have enough pass rushers or not.  The #1 priority this offseason is to get our generational QB some protection and some help.  Josh Allen is the future of the Buffalo Bills.  He engineered 13 wins behind a middling OL.  Imagine what he could do with the best OL in the league, which should be our goal.  Our defense is good enough already.  We need to release the Kraken known as Josh Allen.

I wouldn't mind them going WR in the first. Don't need high picks for the line.

• Disagree 1

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Thank you for pointing out that there is more to a draft then the first round.....needs to be taken into consideration

There was a point in the season when Von was tied for the NFL lead in sacks...he was definately coming up with TIMELY plays.

I agree that there is more to a draft than the first round. However…waiting till the mid to late rounds to take a WR is what lands us players with limited skill sets such as Davis. 

Here is my argument for WR in 1. There likely will be someone there that is worth the value…if not, trade back to the top of 2 if another team wants to jump to get a player on the fifth year option. Where do a lot of the top WRs go?  Either in the first or early second round.

Guys like Tee Higgins, AJ Brown, Michael Thomas all went early 2. The point is…once our second round pick comes around, we might not have anyone to choose from. Early 2 seems to be the sweet spot for top offensive players that fell out of 1.  I’d hate to wait till the 60-something pick to get the leftovers at such a key position for this team. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

To be fair, they went offense with first round when they traded our first rounder for Diggs.  They were looking at a WR in the first, didn't think there would be one there they like as much as Diggs, so they used it on Diggs.  

Honestly, I don't get why people (not saying you, just people around here) say we ignore offense and only go defense early.  

In the past 5 drafts, they have taken Josh Allen, Stefon Diggs (through a trade), Cody Ford, and James Cook in the first 2 rounds of the draft.  

2018 - Outside of Allen, a more defensive draft.  

2019 - Yes we went Ed Oliver at 9th overall in the first, but the next 3 picks were offensive and landed Devin, Knox, and Bass, three key players for this team in what was almost entirely an offensive draft.

2020 - Went WR with our first by trading it for Diggs, then took AJE in 2nd, then went all offense again including drafting Gabe Davis and Zack Moss.

2021 - First 2 picks were DE (our weakest position going into that offseason) and they next 2 were OL guys.  

2022 - Badly needed a corner, so took Elam in first, but then took Cook at RB in the 2nd.

So personally, I think people lose sight a little bit of what our drafts were and think they have been defensive heavy.  Truth is, they have not been as defensive heavy and some think and we have invested quite a bit into the offense that includes our franchise QB, our top 3 WR in the NFL, our starting RB and second string RB in Cook who is on the rise, starting TE, and a very good Kicker.

I do expect them to invest once again into offense this year, especially at WR and OL and possibly RB if they don't bring Devin back.  

I agree. But the first round is where you get the elite traits guys. Honestly, drafting at the end of the first round like we do these days even puts a damper on that.

I'm all about BPA, though, within reason. The draft is about filling the pipeline of talent now, not about finding instant impact starters. We have a great team and need to get talent to replace starters when they get old or move on in free agency.

9 hours ago, Airseven said:

They need to build around Allen. They need to draft all offense - 3 OL, WR, RB, TE. Period.

Use free agency to add a few bargain deals on defense. And franchise tag Edmunds.

What’ll actually move the needle for this team is investing around the best player. 

Perhaps your best ever post 

9 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

We have put a huge amount of draft resources into our defense of line over recent years

We paid Von Miller that huge contract

Groot has been excellent

I am wondering how this board will feel if another highly rated pass rusher is on the board in the first round of the draft and they end up taking them over a pass protector or a wide receiver

I’m not endorsing it I’m just saying that it’s possible if they go best player available and given the fact that Von Miller is coming back off of an ACL injury and we don’t know how long it’s going to be before he can actually play

Jerry Hughes signed a contract with another team, the Texans I believe but he’s getting on an age. I wonder if they were lease him for cap Considerations if fans would like to have him back rather than using a first round pick on a pass rusher

I understand the logic behind the move but I wouldn’t be too optimistic given their track record.

At the same time I recognize the importance of a good edge rusher in the defense , and just because they haven’t been overly successfully in the draft, doesn’t mean they should stop trying.  

I would agree with some other members here who felt that the past few drafts have been heavy on defense.  I’d love for offense to get a higher priority in terms of OL and WR

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.