Gonna throw this out there and then duck lol. Pass rush.

John from Riverside

21 minutes ago, Rubes said:

All I know is that I’m so damn tired of seeing our two Guards get manhandled repeatedly.

Bates is actually grading out OK overall I would see what Ike could do over Saffold right now

17 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

OL or bust.  We've got more than enough pass rushers on this team.

so, the question is, do we? Basham has not been good enough, and in a rotation Epenesa does not appear to make enough plays or two best ends appear to be Groot and Shaq Lawson who was back on a minimum deal

I actually think we’ve got some young guys that don’t get enough attention, but Kingsley would be out of position because he’s an interior. Guy and love makes plays when he gets the opportunity.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Take the best player available within reason.

But a 1st round offensive player would be a breath of fresh air for sure. Can't go defense 1st every draft, can we? (Outside of taking Josh Allen, obviously).

Yeah, Shaq seems to thrive here. I'd re-sign him too, as long as he will be reasonably priced, which I imagine he will be.

To be fair, they went offense with first round when they traded our first rounder for Diggs.  They were looking at a WR in the first, didn't think there would be one there they like as much as Diggs, so they used it on Diggs.  

Honestly, I don't get why people (not saying you, just people around here) say we ignore offense and only go defense early.  

In the past 5 drafts, they have taken Josh Allen, Stefon Diggs (through a trade), Cody Ford, and James Cook in the first 2 rounds of the draft.  

2018 - Outside of Allen, a more defensive draft.  

2019 - Yes we went Ed Oliver at 9th overall in the first, but the next 3 picks were offensive and landed Devin, Knox, and Bass, three key players for this team in what was almost entirely an offensive draft.

2020 - Went WR with our first by trading it for Diggs, then took AJE in 2nd, then went all offense again including drafting Gabe Davis and Zack Moss.

2021 - First 2 picks were DE (our weakest position going into that offseason) and they next 2 were OL guys.  

2022 - Badly needed a corner, so took Elam in first, but then took Cook at RB in the 2nd.

So personally, I think people lose sight a little bit of what our drafts were and think they have been defensive heavy.  Truth is, they have not been as defensive heavy and some think and we have invested quite a bit into the offense that includes our franchise QB, our top 3 WR in the NFL, our starting RB and second string RB in Cook who is on the rise, starting TE, and a very good Kicker.

I do expect them to invest once again into offense this year, especially at WR and OL and possibly RB if they don't bring Devin back.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

To be fair, they went offense with first round when they traded our first rounder for Diggs.  They were looking at a WR in the first, didn't think there would be one there they like as much as Diggs, so they used it on Diggs.  

Honestly, I don't get why people (not saying you, just people around here) say we ignore offense and only go defense early.  

In the past 5 drafts, they have taken Josh Allen, Stefon Diggs (through a trade), Cody Ford, and James Cook in the first 2 rounds of the draft.  

2019 - Yes we went Ed Oliver at 9th overall in the first, but the next 3 picks were offensive and landed Devin, Knox, and Bass, three key players for this team in what was almost entirely an offensive draft.

2020 - Went WR with our first by trading it for Diggs, then took AJE in 2nd, then went all offense again including drafting Gabe Davis and Zack Moss.

2021 - First 2 picks were DE (our weakest position going into that offseason) and they next 2 were OL guys.  

2022 - Badly needed a corner, so took Elam in first, but then took Cook at RB in the 2nd.

So personally, I think people lose sight a little bit of what our drafts were and think they have been defensive heavy.  Truth is, they have not been as defensive heavy and some think and we have invested quite a bit into the offense that includes our franchise QB, our top 3 WR in the NFL, our starting RB and second string RB in Cook who is on the rise, starting TE, and a very good Kicker.

I do expect them to invest once again into offense this year, especially at WR and OL and possibly RB if they don't bring Devin back.  

Thank you for pointing out that there is more to a draft then the first round.....needs to be taken into consideration

23 minutes ago, special-teams said:

Von was NOT a big time player this season.  Mostly coverage sacks and not good against the run/

There was a point in the season when Von was tied for the NFL lead in sacks...he was definately coming up with TIMELY plays.

2 hours ago, 947 said:

There won't be a pass rusher rated highly enough for Beane to do that available at pick 32. If a really highly rated one did somehow drop that far, it'd be due to some medical or off-field concern & I don't see Beane doing that either.

Either way, I'd hate it. Fix the OL.

George Karlaftis says hello...

If there's a beast available yeah.  Otherwise wr, cb, ol.  We should be able to grab a quality guard in later rounds.  Possibly a rt.

I dont like our overall dB speed with White not at 100% and not knowing if he'll get there.  Need someone with wheels that can keep up with Hill.  Phins could have Brady next year who knows.

3 hours ago, MJS said:

Take the best player available within reason.

But a 1st round offensive player would be a breath of fresh air for sure. Can't go defense 1st every draft, can we? (Outside of taking Josh Allen, obviously).

Yeah, Shaq seems to thrive here. I'd re-sign him too, as long as he will be reasonably priced, which I imagine he will be.

I'd argue that their first a couple of years back is Diggs, who is on the offense, obviously.

My guess is WR/OL/S/Edge as biggest priorities, with a BPA philosophy.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Airseven said:

They need to build around Allen. They need to draft all offense - 3 OL, WR, RB, TE. Period.

Use free agency to add a few bargain deals on defense. And franchise tag Edmunds.

What’ll actually move the needle for this team is investing around the best player. 

They really do not need to draft all offense, whether you use a pronunciation mark word or not. Very very unlikely and by absolutely no means necessary. I doubt they even go all offense in the top three picks, myself. They've always tended to split nearly evenly between the units. Most likely they do that again.

The franchise tag for LBs next year is predicted to be $20.9M, all on next year's cap. Again, not a good option.

And yeah, they need to invest around Josh. But defense is also investing around Josh. A good defense makes it easier for the offense.

2 hours ago, special-teams said:

Von was NOT a big time player this season.  Mostly coverage sacks and not good against the run/

Dude, he absolutely was a big time player. Huge, actually. Was he elite? No, but he was excellent. Everybody gets their share of coverage sacks, but Von did not get more than his share.

Only problem with him as a pickup was the injury.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

To have 5 drafts and never have selected a receiver earlier than the 4th round is unusual and that leads to that perception. I know they traded a 1 and a 4 for Diggs but it isn't quite the same as drafting a guy because you don't get those years of a potential difference maker as cheap labour. 

At the same time.... five day 1 and 2 picks on the DLine. No coincidence, Brandon has told us he will never apologise for prioritising the DLine. When you add that to the free agent $$s they have invested in that unit it is fair to say they have put that above other units in their team building  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I swear to God if we go defense again in the early rounds in lue of OL/WR, I'll lose my S#!+.  

Safety is looking like the deepest group late in the first. OL and WR not so much.

You can get solid additions to the OL and WR in rounds 2-4. I think safety is a real possibility at the end of the first round.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Eyeroll 1

In the unlikely event that an edge rusher slides to us and is clearly the BPA at the time of our pick, fine, take him.  The big picture is that we need studs on rookie contracts, and we can fill in the gaps through FA if needed.  But no obviously we should not be targeting the D-line.  If an edge rusher and a comparable guard are both sitting there, we should break the tie in favor of the guard.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.