Jets “part ways” with OC Mike LaFleur, doing their “homework” on Joe Brady to replace him

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

So who does he go and get to right the ship now?  Bevell? Marrone?  Greg Roman?  The guy is running out of Offensive minded coaches he has experience with who dont have good jobs in the NFL already.  Not sure Lafleur is any good, but if they dont get a QB quick Saleh is going to join him on the unemployment line at the end of next season.

Nathaniel Hackett is available.

• Haha (+1) 1

So I feel all we have heard for 2 years is how great a coach Saleh is, he’s going to get them going in the right direction, blah blah blah. He has 11 wins in 2 years, no direction at QB, just had to fire his OC…is he really all that good? Or just another good coordinator that’s not a good head coach? 

9 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

So I feel all we have heard for 2 years is how great a coach Saleh is, he’s going to get them going in the right direction, blah blah blah. He has 11 wins in 2 years, no direction at QB, just had to fire his OC…is he really all that good? Or just another good coordinator that’s not a good head coach? 

He has built a great defense (best yards-given-up-per-play average in the league this season), but they simply don’t have a qb. Mike White is serviceable but quickly got hurt. You can’t win in the NFL without a qb, and to be honest 7-10 isn’t bad if there is no real qb.

• YoloinOhio changed the title to Jets “part ways” with OC Mike LaFleur, doing their “homework” on Joe Brady to replace him
On 1/12/2023 at 8:15 AM, dave mcbride said:

He has built a great defense (best yards-given-up-per-play average in the league this season), but they simply don’t have a qb. Mike White is serviceable but quickly got hurt. You can’t win in the NFL without a qb, and to be honest 7-10 isn’t bad if there is no real qb.

They just haven't been a particularly good drafting team.  Like say what you want about gabe davis - but the jets drafted James Morgan ahead of him and he never played a down in the NFL.  

46 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I wouldn't take that job if I was Joe. If he fails miserably again as an OC his reputation is going to be tough to recover. Took Dabes 5 or 6 years and a stint in college.

He was NOT ready or good in Carolina.

I’m going the other way as I still don’t have any particular fondness for him.

I’d love to see him get the Jets gig because I still don’t think he’s ready. He had no idea how to scheme the run game into the Carolina O. During the presser, Rhule should swear they ere going to get back to pounding it and they would have games with single digit rushing attempts in the first half. As much as Dorsey looks like he still isn’t running the smoothest O, Brady might make him look like a savant while trying to look like one himself.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Boy said:

He was NOT ready or good in Carolina.

I’m going the other way as I still don’t have any particular fondness for him.

I’d love to see him get the Jets gig because I still don’t think he’s ready. He had no idea how to scheme the run game into the Carolina O. During the presser, Rhule should swear they ere going to get back to pounding it and they would have games with single digit rushing attempts in the first half. As much as Dorsey looks like he still isn’t running the smoothest O, Brady might make him look like a savant while trying to look like one himself.

I agree he was terrible in Carolina. As bad as the situation around him was he was awful. That is why for his sake I wouldn't take the Jets job. His next OC experience has to go well or it is a long way back to rebuild the reputation.

• Like (+1) 2

Unless it's substantially more money, the bills QB coach is a better job than jets offensive coordinator

You are also likely the next in line for offensive coordinator of the bills if ken dorsy gets a head coaching opportunity 

Also wasn't Joe Brady's issue in Carolina that he refused to run the ball? Seems like a poor fit as the jets being successful would be run game heavy or maybe they are just trying to get Intel on the bills offense 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Thought I've read that teams don't have to grant permission to interview for any job other than HC??  If I were the Bills I'd refuse, and tell Brady would grant permission to most othjer teams but not a division rival.  But will ask,  did he only sign a 1 year contract??

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I wouldn't take that job if I was Joe. If he fails miserably again as an OC his reputation is going to be tough to recover. Took Dabes 5 or 6 years and a stint in college.

The jets are much like the commanders, they have, shall we say, questionable owners/organizations, to put it kindly. There is little chance for any coach to come out of either organization looking good. 

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I wouldn't until I know who the QB is going to be...they have a lot of young talent at the skill positions, if they get someone like Carr they could cause some problems for teams. Slightly above average QB play could get them 10-11 wins with that D.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.