Question about the origins of The Bills Maffia

Coldfronts

2 hours ago, drummernut74 said:

It started as a result of a dropped pass in the end zone from Ryan Fitzpatrick to Stevie Johnson in a game against Pittsburgh.  Adam Schefter made a controversial remark that prompted an in jest Twitter comment by local Buffalonian (and friend of mine from High School) Del Reid  to the effect of ... that "the Bills Mafia is going to come after you".  Just a total random moment that took on a life of its own 

I clearly remember that pass, that moment and where I was standing, and I remember saying "this team is cursed, we are cursed, there's no escape at this crap"

18 minutes ago, Coldfronts said:

My grandfather was straight off the boat (Ellis Island) as a kid with some of the family coming in a bit latter by way of Brazil first. Never knew why some had to go through Brazil to get here. Had a great uncle who was the black sheep of the family that was in the mob in NYC and did not live very long.  My grandfather was not silcian never had much to say about the Italian mob other then he saw then all as criminals to stay away from.  Back in those days it was hard enough to get a decent job just being an Italian.  Unfortunately, he changed our last name so he could get a good job to feed his family.

In the 1940s, South America was a popular destination for Germans and Italians who were looking for a "clean start".

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

It affects different people differently. I'm assuming you are of Italian descent and not actually an immigrant yourself so perhaps you can't speak on the racism that people have gone through in the past

When did Italian become a race?

• Eyeroll 2

47 minutes ago, Augie said:

The Buffalo Football Fans is kinda catchy.  

43 minutes ago, Draconator said:

The Washington Football Team is better than The Washington Commanders, so you have a point.

I think having BFF having 2 meanings for us Bills fans would be cool.

29 minutes ago, Herc11 said:

When did Italian become a race?

Italian, like Irish, Polish, German, Chinese, etc., were treated as specific "races" for decades.  Given what my Italian friends experienced, this was true for Italians until "The Godfather."

I think it's pretty cool that we hijacked a word that used to mean something negative and spun it into something positive.  A lot of people think of our amazing charitable responses to adversity when they hear Bills Mafia.  It's also a lot more interesting than the endless "Nation" and "Country" monikers like other fan bases have.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Wacka said:

I wore a Bills Mafia shirt when I was in the SF Bay Area last February at a get together. People were asking me what it meant. I said "Like the Mafia, once you join, you are in it for life. You cannot leave. " Also told them about Del Reid and his t-shirts.

I made a design for a shirt way back before things really blew up. It was a spiller thing I believe. 

3 hours ago, jaybills said:

Mafia isn't even an offensive word, right?

I don't identify as a member of Bills Mafia. I refer to myself as a "Die-hard Bills Fan."

2 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

Now get out of my yard. it's time to hose down the driveway.

Most of the time I like to use a squeegee though sometimes it's better to use a good stiff bristle push broom.

2 hours ago, Coldfronts said:

Back in those days it was hard enough to get a decent job just being an Italian.  Unfortunately, he changed our last name so he could get a good job to feed his family.

I understand having to change the last name but why did he choose Coldfronts?

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Coldfronts said:

Did it start from a tailgating group of people at the stadium or a section of people in the stadium or did it start with an online group of people?  I know it's about the whole fan base now but I suspect it did not start that way

To the best of my ability, it was some random thing that was generated by national media, which is why I never liked it.

It's not OUR term...it's someone else's.

Not sure how old you are, but I can assure you back when we were the class of the league (or at least the AFC) in the early '90s, NO ONE was using the term "BILLS MAFIA".

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Nerds on Twitter. I don't really care myself but my grandpa is Sicilian and finds the name super offensive, as offensive as the Cleveland Indians name was to some people.

I'm from Sicilian decent and your grand papa must be a weak Sicilian if offended. just sayin'

super offensive 🤣

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

2 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

That's why the mafia existed, it leveled the playing field and looked out for immigrants in this country who were unfairly treated. My grandpa's father needed their help once after he was roughed up by some racist cops and he remembered his father had to disappear for a while and he didn't know why. Would love to know more about that story but the details are surely lost forever now.

The word mafia was negatively used in the media and negatively used to single out people of Sicilian origins. Murdering people is bad PR, who knew. It wasn't until The Godfather movies that people started to think it was cool or popular to use that slang. So my Grandpa existed in a world where for 50 years it was definitely not good to be Sicilian and associated with that stuff and his life was very difficult as a result. I have a good life today because of his struggles so I choose to be respectful of his story even if others choose not to be.

Yeah, as a kid when ever I tried to get him to talk about the mob in the city or glorified it in any way, he would give me that look that went right through me.  He would sit me down and tell me that sure they would do things for you to help you out, but they were not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts.  They would eventually cash in that favor and make you do something you would never want to do.  Then he would give me the cautionary tale of his brother and that is the way he got started and that the family never knew what truly happened to him.  So, I guess my grandfather gave me a different perspective on the mob, one that was not helpful to the new immigrants from Italy and one it which these criminals preyed upon them and used them.

Edited by Coldfronts
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

I'm from Sicilian decent and your grand papa must be a weak Sicilian if offended. just sayin'

super offensive 🤣

Yea super weak. Lived through the depression, WW2 veteran, worked 2 manual labor jobs his whole life because he wasn't able to get 1 good job despite being overly qualified (worked in a factory then came home for dinner and then worked his maintenance job until midnight just to put food on the table), works out every single day, cancer survivor, is 99 and could beat you in a race guaranteed. Weak would not be a word to use with my grandpa

Edited by KDIGGZ
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Yea super weak. Lived through the depression, WW2 veteran, worked 2 manual labor jobs his whole life because he wasn't able to get 1 good job despite being overly qualified (worked in a factory then came home for dinner and then worked his maintenance job until midnight just to put food on the table), works out every single day, cancer survivor, is 99 and could beat you in a race guaranteed. Weak would not be a word to use with my grandpa

so did my family. yet they would not of been "super offended" as they, as myself, have thicker skin than that...

• Eyeroll 1

12 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

weak was not used in the physical sense. I'm sure, being from italian decent, your papa is tough as nails. I don't know many, if any from that era who were weak. it was tough times for tough people. for some reason though I find it funny that someone who had been through all that an 99 years old would be "super offended" by the bills mafia. if so, as I said, thicker skinned folks don't let that kind of thing bother them. 

1 minute ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

so did my family. yet they would not of been "super offended" as they, as myself, have thicker skin than that...

He's still kickin it at 99, drives, maintains his own house, so he's tougher than your average human. He's offended by a lot of things, mostly Trump and other politicians these days. He would probably try and fight anyone that called him weak. He tells me about all of the fights he got into growing up. I doubt the people he fought thought he was weak for being offended

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, KDIGGZ said:

He's still kickin it at 99, drives, maintains his own house, so he's tougher than your average human. He's offended by a lot of things, mostly Trump and other politicians these days. He would probably try and fight anyone that called him weak. He tells me about all of the fights he got into growing up. I doubt the people he fought thought he was weak for being offended

I have a great uncle, full blood Sicilian and at 93 still drives, does his own grocery shopping and hits the club for his glass of vino or two.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.