Question about the origins of The Bills Maffia

Coldfronts

1 hour ago, Coldfronts said:

I am Italian too and it does not bother me.  Besides Italians were not the only ethnic group that formed a maffia.  There is the Irish maffia and others

It affects different people differently. I'm assuming you are of Italian descent and not actually an immigrant yourself so perhaps you can't speak on the racism that people have gone through in the past

Edited by KDIGGZ
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wacka said:

I wore a Bills Mafia shirt when I was in the SF Bay Area last February at a get together. People were asking me what it meant. I said "Like the Mafia, once you join, you are in it for life. You cannot leave. " Also told them about Del Reid and his t-shirts.

Im pretty sure this is actually the Hotel California. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 6

1 hour ago, Coldfronts said:

I am Italian too and it does not bother me.  Besides Italians were not the only ethnic group that formed a maffia.  There is the Irish maffia and others

Wrong. Mafia is the Italian organized crime syndicate, technically siciliano. All other ethnic groups are not mafia. Japan for instance has the yakuza. As an Italian myself, I don’t like it much. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, AlfaBill said:

Wrong. Mafia is the Italian organized crime syndicate, technically siciliano. All other ethnic groups are not mafia. Japan for instance has the yakuza. As an Italian myself, I don’t like it much. 

Wrong.  Mafia means family to us.  Or so I'm told.

1 hour ago, bobobonators said:

I never really cared for it. Part of me finds it kind of cheesy. It is what it is I suppose. 

Sicilian and Italian- i don't like it either but it has caught on so  welp. I also hate that Dominick the Donkey song

When I was growing up we were Bills fans and it worked just fine.

Now get out of my yard. it's time to hose down the driveway.

I find !st world offense, offensive,  far to much pearl clutching going on over the last couple decades, on the other hand, your Grandfathers circumstance is a valid reason to be pissed off imo, 

To include myself, most people spend far to much time in their own echo chamber, and end up not being able to see the forest through the trees…,

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

That's nice, it effects different people differently. I'm assuming you are of Italian decent and not actually an immigrant yourself so perhaps you can't speak on the racism that people have gone through in the past

My grandfather was straight off the boat (Ellis Island) as a kid with some of the family coming in a bit latter by way of Brazil first. Never knew why some had to go through Brazil to get here. Had a great uncle who was the black sheep of the family that was in the mob in NYC and did not live very long.  My grandfather was not silcian never had much to say about the Italian mob other then he saw then all as criminals to stay away from.  Back in those days it was hard enough to get a decent job just being an Italian.  Unfortunately, he changed our last name so he could get a good job to feed his family.

• Like (+1) 1

It cracks me up how much the local TV media trips over themselves to use the phrase “bills mafia” over and over to the point where it becomes laughable.  Case in point MaryAlice Dimwit and Company on WGRZ.  It is almost like, look at how cool we are.  

Personally, I don’t use or like the moniker, and will never own any merchandise with it. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Coldfronts said:

My grandfather was straight off the boat (Ellis Island) as a kid with some of the family coming in a bit latter by way of Brazil first. Never knew why some had to go through Brazil to get here. Had a great uncle who was the black sheep of the family that was in the mob in NYC and did not live very long.  My grandfather was not silcian never had much to say about the Italian mob other then he saw then all as criminals to stay away from.  Back in those days it was hard enough to get a decent job just being an Italian.  Unfortunately, he changed our last name so he could get a good job to feed his family.

That's why the mafia existed, it leveled the playing field and looked out for immigrants in this country who were unfairly treated. My grandpa's father needed their help once after he was roughed up by some racist cops and he remembered his father had to disappear for a while and he didn't know why. Would love to know more about that story but the details are surely lost forever now.

The word mafia was negatively used in the media and negatively used to single out people of Sicilian origins. Murdering people is bad PR, who knew. It wasn't until The Godfather movies that people started to think it was cool or popular to use that slang. So my Grandpa existed in a world where for 50 years it was definitely not good to be Sicilian and associated with that stuff and his life was very difficult as a result. I have a good life today because of his struggles so I choose to be respectful of his story even if others choose not to be.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.