Question about the origins of The Bills Maffia

Coldfronts

Did it start from a tailgating group of people at the stadium or a section of people in the stadium or did it start with an online group of people?  I know it's about the whole fan base now but I suspect it did not start that way

Edited by Coldfronts

• Coldfronts changed the title to Question about the origins of The Bills Maffia

It started as a result of a dropped pass in the end zone from Ryan Fitzpatrick to Stevie Johnson in a game against Pittsburgh.  Adam Schefter made a controversial remark that prompted an in jest Twitter comment by local Buffalonian (and friend of mine from High School) Del Reid  to the effect of ... that "the Bills Mafia is going to come after you".  Just a total random moment that took on a life of its own 

Edited by drummernut74
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Nerds on Twitter. I don't really care myself but my grandpa is Sicilian and finds the name super offensive, as offensive as the Cleveland Indians name was to some people.

I never really cared for it. Part of me finds it kind of cheesy. It is what it is I suppose. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, KDIGGZ said:

Nerds on Twitter. I don't really care myself but my grandpa is Sicilian and finds the name super offensive, as offensive as the Cleveland Indians name was to some people.

I am Italian too and it does not bother me.  Besides Italians were not the only ethnic group that formed a maffia.  There is the Irish maffia and others

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Bills Mafia is what you find offensive?  Pick your battles man,enjoy the ride. Bills Mafia in 2023 commands respect amongst NFL

• Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Bills Mafia origin

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bills-mafia-became-thing-223221447.html

It started as a charitable idea, and spreading positivity and good will. I love the Mafia. Its the best fanbase nickname out there. If you don't like it, it's likely because your past your midlife crisis, balding, overweight and dont like kids on your lawn. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 6

20 minutes ago, Coldfronts said:

I am Italian too and it does not bother me.  Besides Italians were not the only ethnic group that formed a maffia.  There is the Irish maffia and others

I'm Polish and we have our own mafia too.

If you don't pay, we break our own legs

• Haha (+1) 21
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

We Irish had a Mafia too (Whitey Bulger etc). 

For some reason no one ever worries about offending us, I'm looking at you Notre Dame and your "Fighting Irish" with your drunk brawling leprechaun for a mascot. (How stereotypical can you get. Sheesh) 😉

Edited by Donuts and Doritos
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I wore a Bills Mafia shirt when I was in the SF Bay Area last February at a get together. People were asking me what it meant. I said "Like the Mafia, once you join, you are in it for life. You cannot leave. " Also told them about Del Reid and his t-shirts.

• Like (+1) 4

17 minutes ago, Wacka said:

I wore a Bills Mafia shirt when I was in the SF Bay Area last February at a get together. People were asking me what it meant. I said "Like the Mafia, once you join, you are in it for life. You cannot leave. " Also told them about Del Reid and his t-shirts.

Did they ask you "Who's Bill?"

• Haha (+1) 3

57 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

This had been raised before, but it hasn't stopped the rise of the moniker.

1 hour ago, PaattMaann said:

Bills Mafia origin

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bills-mafia-became-thing-223221447.html

It started as a charitable idea, and spreading positivity and good will. I love the Mafia. Its the best fanbase nickname out there. If you don't like it, it's likely because your past your midlife crisis, balding, overweight and dont like kids on your lawn. 

The origin is twitter warriors who were all blocked by Schefter and started using the #BillsMafia hashtag.

I PRAISE YOU 24/7!!!!!! AND THIS HOW YOU DO ME!!!!! YOU EXPECT ME TO LEARN FROM THIS??? HOW???!!! ILL NEVER FORGET THIS!! EVER!!! THX THO…

Several hours after Johnson’s plea had been dissected and ridiculed on CNN, “The View” and myriad non-sports outlets, ESPN reporter Adam Schefter tweeted as though he had stumbled upon a scoop.

Aggravated Bills fans mocked Schefter for beating a dead horse. Schefter blocked several of them from further interaction, and those who’d earned the badge began calling themselves the Bills Mafia, a crew that stands up for its family.

https://theathletic.com/2143835/2020/10/16/bills-mafia-finally-joins-teams-official-family-after-years-of-being-rebuffed/

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Bills Mafia is what you find offensive?  Pick your battles man,enjoy the ride. Bills Mafia in 2023 commands respect amongst NFL

Did you even read what I wrote or you decided to just get mad and post? I literally said I don't care but my 99 year old grandpa who faced a lot of racism as an immigrant to this country finds it super offensive. While in the army, he ran communication lines all across Europe and the Middle East during WW2 and then when he got back home he couldn't even get a job at the phone company because of how racist people were back then. I need to pick my battles? You need to read what people post and also educate yourself 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

I find it offensive as well and I am not Sicilian 

• Eyeroll 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.