Steelers radio debates signing Tremaine Edmunds

Einstein

12 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

I just cant justify spending all the money on defense when they don't seem to matter a lot in the big games vs unstoppable offenses.

I tend to agree, but if the Bills believe they have 3 big names coming up in the next two years and only plan on bringing back Edmunds.. it makes sense to me.  

Poyer this off-season and Oliver next off-season may be gone, but Edmunds is such a freak and given his age, allows us to get creative with contract structuring if we choose to backload it. 

I do think this Defense needs to show they can, at least, slow down top passing offenses in this post-season though..  Over the past two years, they've played well against the Pats and Ravens, but looked helpless against Indy w/ Rivers and KC x2.   That needs to change. 

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

I just cant justify spending all the money on defense when they don't seem to matter a lot in the big games vs unstoppable offenses.

I’ve argued this same point. Why spend a high dollar amount on a player if that player doesn’t produce high dollar plays against the better offenses? I get and understand Von Miller, TOTALLY worth the investment given what he brought to the defense, but since it’s already difficult to stop the better offenses (the NFL wants it that way), I’m not shelling out top contracts to any defender that can’t wreck the game. If you want to know what my definition of “wreck the game” means, go back and look at Von Miller versus the Chiefs. We need more of those players, everyone else can walk if their value is too high. 

I can understand many posters concern about overpaying for a defensive player that isn’t a game changer in big games.

That being said, I’ve got my popcorn ready for when Tremaine gets 18+ million a year on a 5 year contract here. It’s going to happen.

Those who think he’s going to sign for 13-15 million a year are in fantasyland. Maybe last year we could have done that but no one was sure he was going to take a step or two forward, which he has. 

I’ve been up, then down, then up again on Tremaine. I don’t think he’s reached his ceiling yet even though he’s 5 years in. 

Plus, he’s only 18 years old so we’ve got some room to grow

Edited by RunTheBall

I think he stays. He's shown his worth this year when he's out there and when he's not out there. Poyer is on the wrong side of 30 and I am a big fan of Oliver, but I'm taking Edmunds all day over him, he was phenomenal when playing against bum back-up olineman but largely has been quiet. With the cap rising, restructuring some deals like Allen, having Edmunds sign a deal that is cap-friendly in the sense it can be easily massaged year-to-year...I'm doing that all day.

20 hours ago, SCBills said:

I tend to agree, but if the Bills believe they have 3 big names coming up in the next two years and only plan on bringing back Edmunds.. it makes sense to me.  

Poyer this off-season and Oliver next off-season may be gone, but Edmunds is such a freak and given his age, allows us to get creative with contract structuring if we choose to backload it. 

I do think this Defense needs to show they can, at least, slow down top passing offenses in this post-season though..  Over the past two years, they've played well against the Pats and Ravens, but looked helpless against Indy w/ Rivers and KC x2.   That needs to change. 

To me Poyer is the next Shaq Lawson/Jordan Phillips. I think he is a very specific scheme fit in this defense and if he goes somewhere else he will underwhelm and ultimately regret it. I think he has to be careful in that way. I love Poyer and he is so important to our defense, but I am curious to see what the market is for a older safety, who has had multiply injuries and is a scheme specific fit. Do you want to get paid and cut after a year? Or do you want to make out with a reasonable deal that is fair to stay where you were developed and things are working? 

Tremaine on the other hand could fit almost anywhere, 4-3, 3-4 inside and outside. 

2 hours ago, Your Brown Eye said:

I think he stays. He's shown his worth this year when he's out there and when he's not out there. Poyer is on the wrong side of 30 and I am a big fan of Oliver, but I'm taking Edmunds all day over him, he was phenomenal when playing against bum back-up olineman but largely has been quiet. With the cap rising, restructuring some deals like Allen, having Edmunds sign a deal that is cap-friendly in the sense it can be easily massaged year-to-year...I'm doing that all day.

i hear you:

Tremaine is a resign even though he has flaws

Poyer is great but old- maybe a one year extension but if we win it all i can see the Bills doing a quick rebuild and shedding salary to right size the cap for future runs

Oliver is a tough one as he's good, almost very good but you can't keep everyone- again if we win it all he may move on to get cap space back

Edited by Robert Paulson

3 minutes ago, Bandito said:

I wouldn't mind us re-signing T.E. 

However he hasn't been the star I thought he would be. He hasn't lived up to all the expectations

I am curious what you expected of him then? Did you expect more tackles? More sacks? Him to be Ray Lewis?

• Eyeroll 1

23 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

I think we give altogether too much credence to the 13 seconds game.  Giving up 42 points was an outlier and just credit to Mahomes on a great game.  We've played other games against good offenses where the defense did step up and hold them to 20-something.

23 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

i hear you:

Tremaine is a resign even though he has flaws

Poyer is great but old- maybe a one year extension but if we win it all i can see the Bills doing a quick rebuild and shedding salary to right size the cap for future runs

Oliver is a tough one as he's good, almost very good but you can't keep everyone- again if we win it all he may move on to get cap space back

Oliver is not worth a big contract. He can’t play consistently down in and down out in the NFL IMO. He’s not good enough against the run. And he hasn’t been productive enough / way short of expectations against the pass. 

HOT TAKE given the announcement of the All Pro Team: If Tremaine Edmunds produced like Matt Milano I don’t think these threads would go on for long. There wouldn’t be this much back and forth over the value he brings and if he should be kept. It’d be near unanimous - make it work, whatever the cost.

9 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

HOT TAKE given the announcement of the All Pro Team: If Tremaine Edmunds produced like Matt Milano I don’t think these threads would go on for long. There wouldn’t be this much back and forth over the value he brings and if he should be kept. It’d be near unanimous - make it work, whatever the cost.

TBD does not debate stars or superstars.  They debate guys at a lower level.

We debate guys like Kelsay, Whitner, Byrd, Watkins. We don't debate Josh, Fred, Kyle Williams, Tre, Hyde, Poyer.

• Agree 2

24 minutes ago, FireChans said:

We debate guys like Kelsay, Whitner, Byrd, Watkins. We don't debate Josh, Fred, Kyle Williams, Tre, Hyde, Poyer.

Well, there was that one guy who said Von Miller was a disappointment and not much of a loss 😂

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Don’t forget all pro GM Beane and very good HC Mcdermott

Just now, NewEra said:

Don’t forget all pro GM Beane and very good HC Mcdermott

Hahaha very true.  Coaches and executives don't fit that mold.  Somewhere in the world, Chiefs fans and 49ers fans a lighting up their GM and HC because of something stupid though.  I think that's universal.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, balln said:

Oliver is not worth a big contract. He can’t play consistently down in and down out in the NFL IMO. He’s not good enough against the run. And he hasn’t been productive enough / way short of expectations against the pass. 

I think Oliver is an elite 3-4 DE

6 hours ago, Bandito said:

He was a first round pick. He should be a game changer and difference maker. He is not. He can be replaced. Top players are hard to replace

He is the leading tackler each of past two years and covers sideline to sideline and is a giant. He is not easily replaceable and to say such is crazy 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.