Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

12 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Listen, I get it. You want him on the team. I want him on the team too. I'm just looking at things in terms of the way Beane tends to operates, how he builds teams, and how he has built the team already.

And that's not even taking into account beating out the competition and what the competition (if Beane enters the fray at all) will be offering.

I also feel that if he wasn't willing to do the type of deal it took to get OBJ in here before he did the things he did in the Draft, it's unlikely he's to do that kind of deal now for Hopkins (and I think that's what it's going to take, if not more) when we're in a worse situation cap wise and have addressed our Receiving core more.

Just because you or I would do something or it can be done in one way or another doesn't mean Brandon Beane would do it. 

Hopkins was very productive last year when he returned with Colt Mccoy.  OBJ has been not been prolific or consistently good in years.  Coming off multiple knee injuries.

Beane pulling out on OBJ does not mean he will do the same with Hopkins.  Hopkins has been talking alot about Buffalo. Buffalo was reported to be one of the main suitors in terms of trade.  

Greg at cover 1 has broken down multiple was Buffalo can make a OBJ like deal fit.  If Hopkins is willing to do a real multi year deal its makes it easier.  Without negotiating they can restructure both Dawkins and White creating 12 mil in cap space.  The report about Buffalo evaluating the recovery of Whites knee makes this a real possibility. 

11 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Did those happen in the same season? It's one thing to look into someone and it doesn't work and then they revisit it a season or two later. 

It's another thing to look into doing something, it doesn't work out, so you make other moves instead and then in the same offseason go "Oh Damn, we can do it now? Well, let's bury those people we spent money and draft picks with on the depth chart, change our plans, and give them all less playing time than I was planning now".

Nope, you're moving the goalposts. Your argument said nothing about in the same season. You said "Beane isn't the type to move on from someone, fill the positions the way he'd like with other players, and then double back and alter the group he already formed." I showed you that he has done that twice and then you decided to try and reframe your disproven point. Nice try though.

As to the title of this thread, Will Dhop be available?  The definitive answer is YES.

now for the love of god, please close down this thread,,,.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

why? 

The question has been answered, that’s why.

• Eyeroll 2

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

Nope, you're moving the goalposts. Your argument said nothing about in the same season. You said "Beane isn't the type to move on from someone, fill the positions the way he'd like with other players, and then double back and alter the group he already formed." I showed you that he has done that twice and then you decided to try and reframe your disproven point. Nice try though.

It's not moving the goal posts. I didn't mention in the same season because it goes without saying. Your doubling back a season or seasons later is a totally different scenario. And if anything - it justifies my original post. That when he moves on in an offseason, he moves on and fills the holes for that year. He'll only revisit it in other seasons when things are different.

4 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Hopkins was very productive last year when he returned with Colt Mccoy.  OBJ has been not been prolific or consistently good in years.  Coming off multiple knee injuries.

Beane pulling out on OBJ does not mean he will do the same with Hopkins.  Hopkins has been talking alot about Buffalo. Buffalo was reported to be one of the main suitors in terms of trade.  

Greg at cover 1 has broken down multiple was Buffalo can make a OBJ like deal fit.  If Hopkins is willing to do a real multi year deal its makes it easier.  Without negotiating they can restructure both Dawkins and White creating 12 mil in cap space.  The report about Buffalo evaluating the recovery of Whites knee makes this a real possibility. 

I agree on the White front. But he still has to get that done. I'm not so sure on Dawkins though. He hasn't lived up to his deal and was at best average last season. He may want to get out from under that deal if he underperforms this season. Restructuring his deal could make that more difficult. I think that's why you didn't see him do that all offseason.

7 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Are you seriously comparing Hopkins to OBJ???

Financially, yes. He wasn't comfortable paying OBJ money for anyone. And Hopkins will require more, at a time where we're even more strapped and have addressed the pass catching room to a point that he was happy with.

I think it's likely we'll call and make an offer. But I just don't see Beane getting into the range that it will most likely cost.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Dislike 1

8 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

I think that you have to consider changing circumstances when looking at how people act. Beane has changed his approach as the team became more competitive. I think that there is a lot of pressure on Beane and McDermott to get over the top and that they reasonably have two seasons to do so. That’s based on how the last few seasons ended as well as their tenure and contract situations. I think a move like bringing in Hopkins for two seasons makes a lot of sense in that context. I think we offer him a sizable contract that is effectively two seasons, but is longer and spreads out the cap hits for two seasons beyond that.

Edit: I should stress that this is what I expect to happen, not necessarily what I’d do. Hopkins scares me due to his age and PED violation. I know Beane has more info than us fans. I think taking the chance has a lot of merit, but there are certainly risks. 

I believe that represents what fans want to see happen and what fans are comfortable with. But I don't think Beane is interested in spreading out cap hits years after the contract ends. He's far more conservative than fans.

Am I crazy for choosing DE after thinking about choosing between Hopkins or a vet pass rusher DE if we can get the cap space freed? While I'd love Hopkins I just feel like another top tier vet de puts our team over the edge more than Hopkins. It protects against another Von Miller injury while creating two elite de passrushers when he is back with legitimate rotation depth in Groot and the rest (shaq lawson?, Shane Ray? someone..)

Meanwhile with Kincaid likely getting time in the slot and out wide at times and the free agent wrs we nabbed we have already over hauled our wr room and rotation. I feel like the drop from Hopkins to some of the other wrs with Allen throwing them the ball is a less drop than from a proven vet passrushing de from Lawson or any other guy other than Groot

Edited by dje85

14 minutes ago, dje85 said:

Am I crazy for choosing DE after thinking about choosing between Hopkins or a vet pass rusher DE if we can get the cap space freed? While I'd love Hopkins I just feel like another top tier vet de puts our team over the edge more than Hopkins. It protects against another Von Miller injury while creating two elite de passrushers when he is back with legitimate rotation depth in Groot and the rest (shaq lawson?, Shane Ray? someone..)

Meanwhile with Kincaid likely getting time in the slot and out wide at times and the free agent wrs we nabbed we have already over hauled our wr room and rotation. I feel like the drop from Hopkins to some of the other wrs with Allen throwing them the ball is a less drop than from a proven vet passrushing de from Lawson or any other guy other than Groot

The winner of any game is the team with the most points on the board when the whistle sounds. Hopkins gives us a better chance at that than a DE trying to prevent it. IMO

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

The winner of any game is the team with the most points on the board when the whistle sounds. Hopkins gives us a better chance at that than a DE trying to prevent it. IMO

That is a good point. I completely forgot about our redzone issues last year. Hopkins would improve that massively. Changing my mind back to Hopkins over vet de.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I believe that represents what fans want to see happen and what fans are comfortable with. But I don't think Beane is interested in spreading out cap hits years after the contract ends. He's far more conservative than fans.

Circumstances have changed. The fact that the Bills were one of two teams seriously pursuing trading for Hopkins is indicative of that. But the degree to which this regime will be more aggressive is certainly debatable. 

Just now, BarleyNY said:

Circumstances have changed. The fact that the Bills were one of two teams seriously pursuing trading for Hopkins is indicative of that. But the degree to which this regime will be more aggressive is certainly debatable. 

They were pursuing it. Then we passed and drafted a Big Slot in Round 1 because we needed to have a weapon with Hopkins out of the picture. Also doubled down and Drafted a large outside WR with untapped potential in the 5th. Then spent what little money we had left on Ford, Murray, Cline, and Ray. 

So circumstances have changed quite a bit since then. Not to mention, what we'd most likely have to do to sign him is the same thing we'd have done to his AZ contract. Which Beane didn't want to do, or else he'd have thrown something their way for him.

I want to see this get done. But what it takes to get done, Beane already decided he wasn't comfortable doing. Only way I see this happening is if Hopkins wants to come here so badly that he's willing to take less (and probably substantially less). If it becomes a bidding war and/or another team that he said he likes like the Eagles, Ravens, or Chargers steps to the table, who have cap space - I just don't see it.

• Agree 1