Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

Though I'd like to see it, I feel as though between drafting Kincaid in Round 1 (a TE in name only), drafting Shorter in the 5th (who he already said he plans on "having a jersey" and developing), in conjunction with the moves he made for Harty (a 2 year, 9.5m deal with a 4.75 dead cap hit to release - more expensive to cut than keep this season) and Sherfield PLUS spending what little money we had left on Ford, Murray, Cline, and Ray, and completely filling out our 90 man roster - that Beane moved on from Hopkins and is happy with what he has.

Maybe he makes him the kind of incentive laden "take it or leave it" deal he reportedly offered Yannick Ngakoue. But I don't see him going balls to the wall and offering what other teams surely will offer.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

6 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Though I'd like to see it, I feel as though between drafting Kincaid in Round 1 (a TE in name only), drafting Shorter in the 5th (who he already said he plans on "having a jersey" and developing), in conjunction with the moves he made for Harty (a 2 year, 9.5m deal with a 4.75 dead cap hit to release - more expensive to cut than keep this season) and Sherfield PLUS spending what little money we had left on Ford, Murray, Cline, and Ray, and completely filling out our 90 man roster - that Beane moved on from Hopkins and is happy with what he has.

Maybe he makes him the kind of incentive laden "take it or leave it" deal he reportedly offered Yannick Ngakoue. But I don't see him going balls to the wall and offering what other teams surely will offer.

Keep 7 WR’s. 

Diggs

Hopkins

Davis

Harty

Sherfield

Shorter

Shakir

Beane “moved on” because AZ didn’t meet his terms. Now, they can structure a contract however they like including multiple void years.

If we do sign him, will be very intriguing to see if it’s like OBJ 1 year 15 mil with void years to bring cap hit to 3.5 

or if we look to get him for 2-3 years

Edited by Warriorspikes51

3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Keep 7 WR’s. 

Diggs

Hopkins

Davis

Harty

Sherfield

Shorter

Shakir

Beane “moved on” because AZ didn’t meet his terms. Now, they can structure a contract however they like including multiple void years.

If we do sign him, will be very intriguing to see if it’s like OBJ 1 year 15 mil with void years to bring cap hit to 3.5 

or if we look to get him for 2-3 years

Yes, but Beane moving on is Beane moving on. He brought in players in the Draft that he has plans for and filled the roster with players he has plans for.

Beane isn't the type to move on from someone, fill the positions the way he'd like with other players, and then double back and alter the group he already formed.

Again, I hope I'm wrong. But to me it seems like he did a lot of work on the Pass Catchers already and probably feels like he's already addressed that the way he likes. 

At most, I see him offering him a team friendly, low risk, high reward, take it or leave it type deal. I can't see him offering an OBJ type level deal after everything he's already done. And that's probably what it's going to take.

Best hope is that Hopkins wants to come here so badly that he'll take whatever we'll offer. But I'd bet there will be comparable teams that will be able to offer much more.

4 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Yes, but Beane moving on is Beane moving on. He brought in players in the Draft that he has plans for and filled the roster with players he has plans for.

Beane isn't the type to move on from someone, fill the positions the way he'd like with other players, and then double back and alter the group he already formed.

Again, I hope I'm wrong. But to me it seems like he did a lot of work on the Pass Catchers already and probably feels like he's already addressed that the way he likes. 

At most, I see him offering him a team friendly, low risk, high reward, take it or leave it type deal. I can't see him offering an OBJ type level deal after everything he's already done. And that's probably what it's going to take.

Best hope is that Hopkins wants to come here so badly that he'll take whatever we'll offer. But I'd bet there will be comparable teams that will be able to offer much more.

I mean….it’s not often that All-Pro receivers get released…especially one who openly said he loves the Bills and would love to play with Josh Allen.

the roster is at 90…but do you really think a fringe player is going to stop Beane from signing Hopkins if he wants to?

this move would make everyone on the offense better.

Hopkins has dropped only 3 passes in his last 315 targets. That is something this team badly needs

Edited by Warriorspikes51

5 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I mean….it’s not often that All-Pro receivers get released…especially one who openly said he loves the Bills and would love to play with Josh Allen.

the roster is at 90…but do you really think a fringe player is going to stop Beane from signing Hopkins if he wants to?

In a vacuum? No. But the point is he spent his money and draft picks on a number of Pass Catchers already. He's built the roster with plans of how each player will be utilized and developed. Doing so with Hopkins already out of his plans. To add him would alter those plans of utilization and development for the guys he has brought in.

Like I've said, I would like to see him come here. I would like to see it get done. But I don't see Beane a.) Drastically altering how he envisioned the core this late and b.) Paying what it takes at this point to do so.

I feel as though when he spent the last bit of money and filled us to 90, he had put the finishing touches and final bow on the roster until Training Camp and he was happy with it. We'll see if that's the case or not.

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

In a vacuum? No. But the point is he spent his money and draft picks on a number of Pass Catchers already. He's built the roster with plans of how each player will be utilized and developed. Doing so with Hopkins already out of his plans. To add him would alter those plans of utilization and development for the guys he has brought in.

Like I've said, I would like to see him come here. I would like to see it get done. But I don't see Beane a.) Drastically altering how he envisioned the core this late and b.) Paying what it takes at this point to do so.

Bringing in Hopkins to go with Diggs could greatly help the other WR’s learn even more.

a.) it can be a 1 or 2 year deal

b.) as long as Terry pays cash$$$, you can find ways to make it work

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

53 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Bringing in Hopkins to go with Diggs could greatly help the other WR’s learn even more.

a.) it can be a 1 or 2 year deal

b.) as long as Terry pays cash$$$, you can find ways to make it work

Listen, I get it. You want him on the team. I want him on the team too. I'm just looking at things in terms of the way Beane tends to operates, how he builds teams, and how he has built the team already.

And that's not even taking into account beating out the competition and what the competition (if Beane enters the fray at all) will be offering.

I also feel that if he wasn't willing to do the type of deal it took to get OBJ in here before he did the things he did in the Draft, it's unlikely he's to do that kind of deal now for Hopkins (and I think that's what it's going to take, if not more) when we're in a worse situation cap wise and have addressed our Receiving core more.

Just because you or I would do something or it can be done in one way or another doesn't mean Brandon Beane would do it. 

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Yeah remember that one time we tried to trade for Diggs and then traded for him the next year when they were willing to trade him? Or when he tried to sign Sanders and got him 2 years later when he was willing to sign here? The facts oppose this statement. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Yeah remember that one time we tried to trade for Diggs and then traded for him the next year when they were willing to trade him? Or when he tried to sign Sanders and got him 2 years later when he was willing to sign here? The facts oppose this statement. 

didn’t we also try to get Hopkins before he went to Arizona? If I remember correctly

2 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

Did those happen in the same season? It's one thing to look into someone and it doesn't work and then they revisit it a season or two later. 

It's another thing to look into doing something, it doesn't work out, so you make other moves instead and then in the same offseason go "Oh Damn, we can do it now? Well, let's bury those people we spent money and draft picks with on the depth chart, change our plans, and give them all less playing time than I was planning now".

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Listen, I get it. You want him on the team. I want him on the team too. I'm just looking at things in terms of the way Beane tends to operates, how he builds teams, and how he has built the team already.

And that's not even taking into account beating out the competition and what the competition (if Beane enters the fray at all) will be offering.

I also feel that if he wasn't willing to do the type of deal it took to get OBJ in here before he did the things he did in the Draft, it's unlikely he's to do that kind of deal now for Hopkins (and I think that's what it's going to take, if not more) when we're in a worse situation cap wise and have addressed our Receiving core more.

Just because you or I would do something or it can be done in one way or another doesn't mean Brandon Beane would do it. 

I think that you have to consider changing circumstances when looking at how people act. Beane has changed his approach as the team became more competitive. I think that there is a lot of pressure on Beane and McDermott to get over the top and that they reasonably have two seasons to do so. That’s based on how the last few seasons ended as well as their tenure and contract situations. I think a move like bringing in Hopkins for two seasons makes a lot of sense in that context. I think we offer him a sizable contract that is effectively two seasons, but is longer and spreads out the cap hits for two seasons beyond that.

Edit: I should stress that this is what I expect to happen, not necessarily what I’d do. Hopkins scares me due to his age and PED violation. I know Beane has more info than us fans. I think taking the chance has a lot of merit, but there are certainly risks. 

Edited by BarleyNY

10 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Are you seriously comparing Hopkins to OBJ???