Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

I feel like Beane is about to pull off a big trade...

Couple things...

-We are now top heavy at DT, OG, and RB. 

-We have extra picks for next year. 

I feel like with this currency we could trade for Dhop, get Oliver's contract off the books, and not hurt the comp formula. If we traded this stuff it could give AZ some more foundational players too... 

I don't know I just feel like we have a stockpile of currency that is prime for pulling off this trade. What do yall think?

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Never was realistic once Poyer was brought back.

The Bills could have swung it on the opening days of FA, but it would have come at the expense of several other FAs Beane has pulled in. 

Poyer’s contract is not exactly large for what he brings…to say the least

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Poyer’s contract is not exactly large for what he brings…to say the least

After Poyer they were down to $8M - $10M in cap space. 

And they’ve continued to spend after that. 

I know guys on YouTube speculated that the Cardinals would eat 80% of the salary and hand him over for 7 picks worth of draft capital, but I once FA got rolling I never thought it was a realistic idea for the Bills. 

How are they going to make his cap hit $3M for this season? Outside of Hopkins ripping up his deal and signing for 3 years $9M? 

It’s not realistic. 

1 hour ago, akcash said:

Couple things...

I feel like with this currency we could trade for Dhop, get Oliver's contract off the books, and not hurt the comp formula. If we traded this stuff it could give AZ some more foundational players too... 

I don't know I just feel like we have a stockpile of currency that is prime for pulling off this trade. What do yall think?

I think anyone who has followed this saga and didn't see Beane shutting it down, the Arizona GM saying he's not trading him, not trading him on Draft Day, and the final coffin of Hopkins publicly coming around to staying in Arizona as this being dead is at the absolute least, completely delusional.

As for where we're "top heavy", it's called better depth than we had. At RB, OG, and DT - we're in better shape than we were last season. And we needed to be given what each position gave us last season. 

You don't put yourself in a better situation and then say "eh, we don't need all of this, let's short change ourselves".

RB is perfect right now. We've always carried 4 RB's on the 53. We have 4 RB's right now. Murray had a good year last year, but it was all in relief of injured players called up from the Practice Squad. At his age, that's what his role is right now. Cook, Harris, and Hines are going nowhere.

OG was one of our weakest positions for years. We lost Saffold and brought in McGovern, Torrence, and Edwards. We now have a Starting calibur OG no matter the situation. Why would you want to change that? Even if we were to move, say Bates, it would have nothing to do with Hopkins.

As for DT and specifically Oliver, that's not going to happen either. Oliver isn't going anywhere. I spoke in depth about why here:

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/247138-poona-ford-signing-with-the-bills/?do=findComment&comment=8388259

Edited by BillsFanForever19

3 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I think anyone who has followed this saga and didn't see Beane shutting it down, the Arizona GM saying he's not trading him, not trading him on Draft Day, and the final coffin of Hopkins publicly coming around to staying in Arizona as this being dead is at the absolute least, completely delusional.

As for where we're "top heavy", it's called better depth than we had. At RB, OG, and DT - we're in better shape than we were last season. And we needed to be given what each position gave us last season. 

You don't put yourself in a better situation and then say "eh, we don't need all of this, let's short change ourselves".

RB is perfect right now. We've always carried 4 RB's on the 53. We have 4 RB's right now. Murray had a good year last year, but it was all in relief of injured players called up from the Practice Squad. At his age, that's what his role is right now. Cook, Harris, and Hines are going nowhere.

OG was one of our weakest positions for years. We lost Saffold and brought in McGovern, Torrence, and Edwards. We now have a Starting calibur OG no matter the situation. Why would you want to change that? Even if we were to move, say Bates, it would have nothing to do with Hopkins.

As for DT and specifically Oliver, that's not going to happen either. Oliver isn't going anywhere. I spoke in depth about why here:

Beane said he has been talking to his people and he hopes to get it done. Whether that means before the season or after the season remains to be seen.

But this concept of "you have to get something for him before you lose him for nothing" is short sighted and not a real thing.

You don't see a rash of teams trading away players in the last year of their rookie deal because they haven't gotten an extension done before the season. The reasons for that are:

1.) When GM's draft a player, they do it with the expectation that they have them for *at least* 4-5 seasons under a cost controlled Rookie deal. GM's don't think "well, I may or may not be able to get him back, so let's cut this deal shorter"

2.) Teams aren't interested in making deals for people who are only under contract for 1 year. Why give up a pick when they'll be free to sign for nothing in a year? Why give up a pick when you don't know if you're going to have him longer than a year? If it were to happen, we'd get peanuts in return because of these reasons.

3.) If we cannot re-sign a player on a Rookie deal and he signs elsewhere for big money, you get a compensatory pick. And that pick is likely to be more than you'd get in a trade anyways.

It's all the rage to point to Edmunds and say "we didn't trade him and now we've lost him for nothing in return". But that's not true. We got that year out of him last season and we're getting a 3rd Round pick on top of it. Which is more than we'd have gotten trading him.

Long story short, Oliver was never going to be traded. And in the small chance it were to have happened, it would have been done by now.

Now it doesn't make any sense any way you look at it. Why would we make ourselves worse at starting 3T when we don't have to? There's no one out there that is better than him. 

Why would we need to at this point? Our roster is pretty much set at this point. Especially when it comes to starters. We've filled all of our needs already and just need some small finishing touches. We're going to give away a starter for some reserve players at other positions? How does that make sense?

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/247138-poona-ford-signing-with-the-bills/?do=findComment&comment=8388259

I have to ask. Why the large spaces?  Swinging  for page 272? 😉

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Goin Breakdown said:

I have to ask. Why the large spaces?  Swinging  for page 272? 😉

Lol no - for some reason when I linked to my Oliver post, it ended posting it above the link and spaced out.

I've since edited the post to just be the link. Don't know why it did that.

23 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Lol no - for some reason when I linked to my Oliver post, it ended posting it above the link and spaced out.

I've since edited the post to just be the link. Don't know why it did that.

Haha. I'm glad knew I was messing with ya. I end up doing a lot of weird  things typing out on here myself. Go Bills

2 hours ago, akcash said:

Couple things...

I felt like after the trade downs in the draft it was more likely that Beane is gearing up to make some trade up moves next year if they still need help in certain areas. It’s already considered a better draft than this year. With some top end talent like Marvin Harrison Jr. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 3rdand12 said:

Its over isnt it ? 🤔

I’m afraid so. 

but with all this DHOP talk, I think we missed a bit of Beane taking this great offense and making it nearly stellar. Without a giant splash. 

but what the ***** do I know? Go bills. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Great Post!💯

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

I’m afraid so. 

but with all this DHOP talk, I think we missed a bit of Beane taking this great offense and making it nearly stellar. Without a giant splash. 

but what the ***** do I know? Go bills. 

After all the dust settled. I too am pretty happy.
Go Bills

2 minutes ago, astb41 said:

I’ve never been more confident than I am right now that the Bills will get Hopkins.

How? I've thought this was possible all the way up until draft weekend but I think now, it's extremely slim. Is it still possible? I guess but don't count on it

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

I found this to be an interesting convo about "types of GMs you have to deal with." Not saying this is Osenforte, but it's interesting to see other teams we don't seem to do business with. 

I watched this earlier and my first thought was the crap that Washington pulled last year with mck-whatever his name was.

I bet beane pea him on hold just to watch the red light blink after that.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I watched this earlier and my first thought was the crap that Washington pulled last year with mck-whatever his name was.

I bet beane pea him on hold just to watch the red light blink after that.

They did trade up with us at the draft.  I feel good there is no rift there.