Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

3 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I understand about the salary issue. Just a few posts above, I pointed that out to the fella I was conversing with. Even taking that into consideration, I don't think a fifth alone gets it done. If AZ is posturing to want something akin to what CMC cost the 49ers (a ridiculous proposition), I don't see them scaling back that far. So, Hopkins and his salary altogether may only be worth a fifth, but I don't see AZ taking that return, even if they become more reasonable.

And that’s OK with me.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This guy is full of crap… not sure why people are buying into his guessing.  I would go with the word of legit reporters over a fan playing NFL insider on Twitter

I’m sure this is just the Bills trying to “control the narrative” 👌

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

Just now, Dr. Who said:

You're kinda ornery, aren't ya?

No.  Just more amazed at people that think running an NFL team is easy and that Beane purposely wants to avoid winning the Super Bowl.

1. I doubt any of the Twitter crap is 100% accurate

2. People use Twitter report 1 to bolster their opinion but ignore Twitter report 2 because it refutes their opinion……I don’t really trust either one.  An example of this is the cost for Hopkins being too high for KC but somehow we should do “whatever it takes”.  Nobody knows the asking price of either the Cardinals or Hopkins…..but we should meet it.  Should Beane also buy a used 1988 Honda Civic for $4,326,419.37 because that’s what the dealer wants?

Combine points 1 and 2 and there is some really stupid stuff that gets posted.  People claiming they have the proper Bills personnel strategy figured out are wrong.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

This guy is full of crap… not sure why people are buying into his guessing.  I would go with the word of legit reporters over a fan playing NFL insider on Twitter

They are all full of crap until something happens.  That's part of their job.

There were legit reporters talking about A. Brown coming to the bills before and that amounted to nothing.

It's all throwing stuff until something sticks.

And no, I don't necessarily believe the tweet either.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

And that’s OK with me.

Yep, it's a prudential calculation. I wanted to trade up for Jameson Williams in the last draft. Would have brought in a young WR with star potential. Now we are looking at a subpar draft at the position. If you think it's important to upgrade WR2, Hopkins is now a consideration. If you think it's not that pressing a matter, one is less inclined to bargain. I am somewhere between your view and those who want to throw around a first or second, but it's a risk and an expensive one so not a great situation.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

What “legit reporter” would use the phrase “reportedly likely”?  The kind that failed 4th grade English?

Just now, Dr. Who said:

Yep, it's a prudential calculation. I wanted to trade up for Jameson Williams in the last draft. Would have brought in a young WR with star potential. Now we are looking at a subpar draft at the position. If you think it's important to upgrade WR2, Hopkins is now a consideration. If you think it's not that pressing a matter, one is less inclined to bargain. I am somewhere between your view and those who want to throw around a first or second, but it's a risk and an expensive one so not a great situation.

And it wouldn’t have been expensive to trade up and get Williams?  How many parallel dream worlds are we living in?

2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

No.  Just more amazed at people that think running an NFL team is easy and that Beane purposely wants to avoid winning the Super Bowl.

1. I doubt any of the Twitter crap is 100% accurate

2. People use Twitter report 1 to bolster their opinion but ignore Twitter report 2 because it refutes their opinion……I don’t really trust either one.  An example of this is the cost for Hopkins being too high for KC but somehow we should do “whatever it takes”.  Nobody knows the asking price of either the Cardinals or Hopkins…..but we should meet it.  Should Beane also buy a used 1988 Honda Civic for $4,326,419.37 because that’s what the dealer wants?

Combine points 1 and 2 and there is some really stupid stuff that gets posted.  People claiming they have the proper Bills personnel strategy figured out are wrong.

Well, if you don't suffer fools gladly, a sports' message board is a fine place to be exasperated. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm okay if this doesn't happen. Obviously, it would have been exciting, but it also comes with some downsides. We'd be much more "all in" for the short term, and it would wreak some havoc w/ our cap.  He's also 31, and I'd prefer to see the team get a little younger.

Can’t imagine KC throwing a spending a bunch of money on Hopkins, why wouldn’t they have simply extended Hill if they were going to pay top $ for a WR?

If he wants guaranteed money and/or an extension, I think he likely ends up somewhere with a young developing QB who needs a consistent target.  

He’s at the stage of his career where he can take a little less/re-work his contract in a team friendly way to try and be on a winner, or try to find a team that is willing to give him one last big pay day (since AZ gave him the right to seek a trade, they aren’t forcing it, atleast based on the way it was worded in reports)…

Being real, if I’m Hopkins, I find the team willing to pay me and maybe even reup getting one last major pay day, bc after what some of the injuries we’ve witnessed and then what happened with Damar, I’ll never be mad at a guy for trying to get every cent they can playing this game.

8 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

What “legit reporter” would use the phrase “reportedly likely”?  The kind that failed 4th grade English?

And it wouldn’t have been expensive to trade up and get Williams?  How many parallel dream worlds are we living in?

A reporter who actually has been….professional journalist for over 20 years? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Lions sent two early seconds and an early third to move up to 12 in the first round. Vikings sent a mid second round pick back as well. Helps if you have draft capital to work with, but that was not a terrible price to get him. I'm going to stick with ornery. And yes, the contemporary American reading level is probably fifth grade in 1960. Writing is abysmal. Very few read genuine literature or think complex, nuanced thoughts. It's easy enough to be a curmudgeon and point out the foibles of humanity. I am a misanthrope myself and much prefer the company of my cats to humankind, but a little tolerance and humor is also helpful. Some folks are obnoxious and invite ridicule, but otherwise the kindness of compassion is not expensive. 

Edited by Dr. Who

27 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

SI is a joke these days IMO

Edited by HamSandwhich
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I understand about the salary issue. Just a few posts above, I pointed that out to the fella I was conversing with. Even taking that into consideration, I don't think a fifth alone gets it done. If AZ is posturing to want something akin to what CMC cost the 49ers (a ridiculous proposition), I don't see them scaling back that far. So, Hopkins and his salary altogether may only be worth a fifth, but I don't see AZ taking that return, even if they become more reasonable.

I musta missed the actual news about AZ's price.  Is that what they want? 

The 49ers took a lot of criticism for giving up essentially the heart of their draft board this year (2nd 3rd and 4th) plus a late pick (5th) next year.

But, they got a 26 yr old player under contract for 4 years, with a minor salary in 2023 and a reasonable $12M/yr going forward.  And, he was a true difference maker.

To ask that for a 31 yr old player who gets $19.5M this year and $14.9M next, for a guy who only played 19 of 34 games last two seasons, ended 2021 with an MCL injury, took PEDs and was suspended 6 games in the healing process, and reportedly missed the last two games of 2022 because he "tweaked" that injury - Wow.

I do NOT want the Bills to pay that price.  Maybe that's just me.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

A little harder for the skeptics to paint this as a mirage speculated on the basis of IG posts and pseudo-NFL Insiders on Twitter.

But Hopkins would not be a "final piece" for the Bills.  We need an MLB, another 3TDT, and IMHO at least solid RT competition for Brown.  Rapaport is legit, but to take what he tweeted and apply it to the Bills sounds like heavy speculation to me.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1