Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

45 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Agree.  Beane said he's not against more restructures, but gave the hint he doesn't want to do anymore.

By my math:

1. Currently: Maybe we are 9-10m under cap.  (Draft likely eats $2m, but this would hypothetically happen after a Hop trade).

2. Tre restructure: saves approx $5.7m

3. Dion restructure: saves approx $6m.  But Beane might be more reluctant, given Dion has some potential void years in his deal already.

4. Hopkins: 2023 cap hit is currently $30m, but we'd be on the hook for approx $19m (assuming Cards do NOT retain anything more than required).

So in summary:

1. Immediate Cost=$19m

2. Cap status: let's sat $10m under, so we'd need to clear $9-10m

3. Needed savings: we'd HAVE to restructure both Tre and Dion.  OR Ed is dealt, OR Cards retain more of the cap hit (likely need them to keep at least $5m more...so we only have to restructure Tre).

This is why this deal could be VERY VERY complex to get negotiated, due to cap issues.  And would require us to kick alot of cap to future years.

They wouldn't have to do that just by adding a couple years onto players contracts. Add a year on Hyde's deal and resign DaQuan Jones to a 2 year extension and those right there would be better than restructuring

28 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

What about the money... honey? 

Got it for you right here

If the Jets and Chiefs are in this, it’s going to cost a first round pick. 

I see no way the Jets let this happen. 

This could be an issue - “we don’t know if we have a 2024 first because we might need to include it for Rodgers.”   

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

If the Jets and Chiefs are in this, it’s going to cost a first round pick. 

I see no way the Jets let this happen. 

This could be an issue - “we don’t know if we have a 2024 first because we might need to include it for Rodgers.”   

Jets have got their own issue front of mind to be worried what the Bills are doing

13 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Our first round pick last year sat behind a below avg 7th round nobody for most of the year. And the sad part is Elam was probably the best corner we had and the coaches didn’t care. All these recent high picks have been game changers. So much so that we have to use constant rotation to get any production. Also had to go out and get Von Miller to mask all the misses. You think the guy we get at 27 is going to be better than Hopkins? Even throughout the length of their rookie deal? Also I’m not asking to trade a first, I’m just humoring the idea.

I’d rather have Greg Rousseau with 3 more years on his rookie deal than Hopkins, yes.

It’s such a defeatist mindset to want to trade our picks away for players because Beane missed a couple picks.

6 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

I think I last opened up this topic when it was 96 pages. What have I missed in the last 43 pages?

You know, the usual.

If we let him get traded somewhere else we're doomed and Brandon Beane should be fired. The cap doesn't exist and no one should care about what it costs. Adding him immediately guarantees us a Super Bowl. People with 25 followers are legit sources. Anyone who says anything but we're going to get him aren't legit sources. Tracking flights to Arizona the weekend of the League Meetings in Arizona that couldn't possibly be for anything but picking up Hopkins. We should trade a 1st Round Pick if that's what it takes. Threatening to boycott the team if they don't trade for him.

Etc.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

2 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

Agree.  Beane said he's not against more restructures, but gave the hint he doesn't want to do anymore.

This is why this deal could be VERY VERY complex to get negotiated, due to cap issues.  And would require us to kick alot of cap to future years.

Just extend DaQuan Jones and Micah Hyde 1 year each and drop their cap for this year, should give us another 8-9M with those two extensions. 

12 minutes ago, Albanybillsbacker said:

Woof.  We're talking about a 31 year old WR with a $20 dollar per year deal.  He is not worth a 3rd.  Roll the dice in the draft.  more risk but greater reward if you hit.  

Yeah, ultimately I think that's probably what Beane is thinking right now. Or circling back to OBJ. Probably still monitoring the situation and telling them to keep in touch if their price drops.

But I'm pretty sure what happened was they called and were interested when the word on the street was they'd have to take less than what Houston got for Brandin Cooks.

But since then they've heard it's a "Christian McCaffrey" type price tag starting with a 2nd Rounder plus more picks AND the full hit of the contract. That's a non-starter for Brandon Beane.

7 hours ago, gordong said:

They are asking for a 2nd round pick why exactly would I give up my first? Hell no

Bills fall 7 spots, from pick #27(late 1st) to #34 (early 2nd) , which on the Rich Hill trade value chart nets/ is equivalent to a 3rd round pick.

we still have our other 2nd round pick #59

24 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Yeah, ultimately I think that's probably what Beane is thinking right now. Or circling back to OBJ. Probably still monitoring the situation and telling them to keep in touch if their price drops.

But I'm pretty sure what happened was they called and were interested when the word on the street was they'd have to take less than what Houston got for Brandin Cooks.

But since then they've heard it's a "Christian McCaffrey" type price tag starting with a 2nd Rounder plus more picks AND the full hit of the contract. That's a non-starter for Brandon Beane.

And we wouldn’t want him to do that either
Trust me, Brandon is saving the fans by being patient. I know some don’t wanna hear that.

• Like (+1) 1