Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

Peanuts. Well worth it 

The point is - that bill comes due. It appears there's more in 2026, 2 years after he's gone that they'll still be paying for.

And if we're talking about Hopkins v. Cooks, we're talking about a 12 million cap hit that can be restructured to 4 v. a 31 million cap hit that becomes 19.45.

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

The point is - that bill comes due. It appears there's more in 2026, 2 years after he's gone that they'll still be paying for.

And if we're talking about Hopkins v. Cooks, we're talking about a 12 million cap hit that can be restructured to 4 v. a 31 million cap hit that becomes 19.45.

Cardinals retain a chunk and we convert the base to a bonus. 

I don’t care about that Bill coming due when the cap keeps going way up.

This offense needs another elite impact player.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Cardinals retain a chunk and we convert the base to a bonus. 

This offense needs another elite impact player.

We have maybe 7 million dollars of the 43.5 we were able to pull together, when we were already 18.5 over. We have more holes to fill and draft picks to sign.

This concept of "I don't care, just get it done" is childish. The cap can be finessed, but it DOES exist. And he's already finessed it quite a bit just to stay afloat. We went all in last year. We can't do that this year. We're 18+ million over the cap next year already for pushing things down the road all the time.

His cap hit moves from 31 to 19.45. Simply can't afford that. Even if we did move things around further from there (which i'm not sure we can), we still can't afford it. 

And they're going to pay for it? How much compensation would that cost for them to give us Hopkins and pay for him? More than anyone would pay for a 30 year old WR.

WR will be addressed somehow. Whether it's a gamble on someone coming off an injury like OBJ, someone looking to rebuild their value like Allen Robinson, getting lucky that someone overplayed their hand in FA like Mecole Hardman, and/or more likely than all of that a 1st or 2nd Round Draft pick.

But DeAndre Hopkins is a pipedream. Simple as that. If you're expecting or even hoping for that, you're misguided and setting yourself up for surefire anger and/or disappointment.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

This guy was advocating trading Matt Milano to get Mike Evans or DeAndre Hopkins, so yeah, he's pretty much muted to me at this point.

It was Milano, Oliver & our 2nd round pick for Mike Evans.😂 As I told him last night, he would suck as a GM.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS
  • Haha (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

We have maybe 7 million dollars of the 43.5 we were able to pull together, when we were already 18.5 over. We have more holes to fill and draft picks to sign.

This concept of "I don't care, just get it done" is childish. The cap can be finessed, but it DOES exist. And he's already finessed it quite a bit just to stay afloat. We went all in last year. We can't do that this year. We're 18+ million over the cap next year already for pushing things down the road all the time.

His cap hit moves from 31 to 19.45. Simply can't afford that. Even if we did move things around further from there (which i'm not sure we can), we still can't afford it. 

And they're going to pay for it? How much compensation would that cost for them to give us Hopkins and pay for him? More than anyone would pay for a 30 year old WR.

WR will be addressed somehow. Whether it's a gamble on someone coming off an injury like OBJ, someone looking to rebuild their value like Allen Robinson, getting lucky that someone overplayed their hand in FA like Mecole Hardman, and/or more likely than all of that a 1st or 2nd Round Draft pick.

But DeAndre Hopkins is a pipedream. Simple as that. If you're expecting or even hoping for that, you're misguided and setting yourself up for surefire anger and/or disappointment.

I think OBJ is likely. Hardman is intriguing. Getting him would make 3 WR’s with high end speed

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I think OBJ is likely. Hardman is intriguing. Getting him would make 3 WR’s with high end speed

I'd love it too. But Mecole Hardman represents the most we could do. And I don't think even Hardman is likely. It would take him asking for too much and finding himself without a suitor deep into FA and willing to take less to play with a contender to try to improve his stock next season.

Hopkins is even less likely than him. We're 18+ million over the cap next season with Ed Oliver, Gabe Davis, Micah Hyde, Daquan Jones, Tyler Bass, and Tim Settle (amongst many other depth players and 1 year signings from this year) as Free Agents. 

As Beane said in his presser, he went all in getting Von last year and now can't afford to put himself in the hole further. On top of getting deeper into the hole, we'd also have to give up picks that we need to keep to replace people, given our cap situation.

4 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Peanuts. Well worth it 

It’s not peanuts that’s a lot of money to carry on your team whenever you’re paying a franchise QB

3 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I would pay OBJ on a one year prove it deal just to make sure that the knee can hold up if he makes it through the season or it looks like he’s going to make it through the season I would extend him

4 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I'd love it too. But Mecole Hardman represents the most we could do. And I don't think even Hardman is likely. It would take him asking for too much and finding himself without a suitor deep into FA and willing to take less to play with a contender to try to improve his stock next season.

Hopkins is even less likely than him. We're 18+ million over the cap next season with Ed Oliver, Gabe Davis, Micah Hyde, Daquan Jones, Tyler Bass, and Tim Settle (amongst many other depth players and 1 year signings from this year) as Free Agents. 

As Beane said in his presser, he went all in getting Von last year and now can't afford to put himself in the hole further. On top of getting deeper into the hole, we'd also have to give up picks that we need to keep to replace people, given our cap situation.

I’m not sure where you’re seeing 10M over the cap next year.  All public references say we’re slightly under.  There’s a few players that will be cut next year, like Hines who saves 6M plus the cap is supposed to explode the next few years.  Beane is doing it right, locking up young talent early before the salary cap goes sky rocketing.  Can’t wait to see how much Burrows, Hurts, Tua, etc get.  

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, TheWeatherMan said:

I’m not sure where you’re seeing 10M over the cap next year.  All public references say we’re slightly under.  There’s a few players that will be cut next year, like Hines who saves 6M plus the cap is supposed to explode the next few years.  Beane is doing it right, locking up young talent early before the salary cap goes sky rocketing.  Can’t wait to see how much Burrows, Hurts, Tua, etc get.  

Not sure where you're seeing we're under the cap next year. First off - here's the breakdown. On the bottom of the page you'll see, we're 18 million over.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2024/

Brandon Beane even mentioned that we're in the same situation next year in one of his press conferences when talking about how up against the cap we are this year.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

38 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Not sure where you're seeing we're under the cap next year. First off - here's the breakdown. On the bottom of the page you'll see, we're 18 million over.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2024/

Brandon Beane even mentioned that we're in the same situation next year in one of his press conferences when talking about how up against the cap we are this year.

So what you're saying is, he's mismanaged the cap?

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

So what you're saying is, he's mismanaged the cap?

Know what he really should be saying is we need to start hitting on more Draft picks and actually playing them

The GM will do what he always does. He will get it below the cap with some restructures, that we didn’t pull the levers on this year and cuts of players

Just now, John from Riverside said:

Know what he really should be saying is we need to start hitting on more Draft picks and actually playing them

The GM will do what he always does. He will get it below the cap with some restructures, that we didn’t pull the levers on this year and cuts of players

So, then you're saying he failed in the draft, then.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

oh, i don't know, maybe more than 1 out of 5 DL taken would be nice.

Oliver is a good player just not up to his draft selection. He is a starter which is a hit.

groot has been one of the top edge centers in the NFL. He is a hit.

Basham isn’t looking good

Epenesa if he actually played more and didn’t play in a rotation would probably project out to more sacks

would you like to see more superstars given the amount of clout that’s been used yes

That doesn’t make them unsuccessful drafts

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Everyone always says this. But my view has always been different. It goes up for all teams. Not just the Bills. Meaning no matter how much higher it goes up we maintain the same percentage of available cap space compared to all other teams. Players cost more and Bills get out bid for the ones they can't afford. 

The agents know the cap goes up so they are going to get more money for their clients. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

Oliver is a good player just not up to his draft selection. He is a starter which is a hit.

groot has been one of the top edge centers in the NFL. He is a hit.

Basham isn’t looking good

Epenesa if he actually played more and didn’t play in a rotation would probably project out to more sacks

would you like to see more superstars given the amount of clout that’s been used yes

That doesn’t make them unsuccessful drafts

opinion.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Everyone always says this. But my view has always been different. It goes up for all teams. Not just the Bills. Meaning no matter how much higher it goes up we maintain the same percentage of available cap space compared to all other teams. Players cost more and Bills get out bid for the ones they can't afford. 

The agents know the cap goes up so they are going to get more money for their clients. 

Definitely true..  but you then see teams like the Jets, potentially taking on 20M dead cap hits on void years for Rodgers and you realize that teams certainly factor in the cap going up, some much more than the Bills.