Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

The way I look at it, we know Hopkins, Jeudy, and OBJ are available. If we don't end up with one of them I consider the offseason mostly a failure. Improving the depth on the offense, but failing to improve the #2 WR when better options are available, would constitute a failure IMO.

Really?

I don't expect us to get any of those guys, and I'm kind of glad we won't.  We don't have a lot of draft capital this year, and I don't think I'd be happy about any trade where we gave up a pick or a contributing player, just to get another WR.

We have a very good WR corps as things stand, and may add via the draft.  But Beane said it himself - we need to focus on the trenches.  The history of the NFL has more teams who focused on skill positions and failed than the opposite.  Give Josh Allen time, and he will make every WR we have look amazing.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

How are the BIlls supposed to stop two other NFL franchises from completing a trade? They can't stop the Jets from trading for Aaron Rodgers. They couldn't stop the Dolphins from trading for Hill. If the deals are similar, I would think that the Cardinals would go to Hopkins and ask him for his choice. He would probably choose KC because

• He would be WR #1
  • Better chance to win a SB on the defending SB champs
  • Wouldn't have to deal with 70-inch snowstorms.

Sure, the BIlls could probably get Hopkins right not for Oliver and #27, but that would be a massive overpay. Is that what you want Beane to do?

Don't tell him Oliver & our #27 pick is a massive overpay. Last night he wanted to give up Milano, Oliver & our 2nd round pick for Hopkins.😳 That would’ve gone down in Bills history as the dumbest move they ever made.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Success said:

I don't expect us to get any of those guys, and I'm kind of glad we won't.  We don't have a lot of draft capital this year, and I don't think I'd be happy about any trade where we gave up a pick or a contributing player, just to get another WR.

It's supposed to be a weak draft, though. Our last few 2nd rounders are James Cook, Boogie Basham, AJ Epenesa, Cody Ford, Zay Jones. You wouldn't give up any of those players for a two year rental of DeAndre Hopkins? To me it's a no brainer. For Jeudy I would do a 1st because he's only 24 years old and he is a better WR prospect than any WR we could conceivably draft with our 1st rounder. OBJ doesn't cost draft picks, we just need to pay him a little more than other teams are offering for a one year prove it deal. Preferences may vary but to me any one of these options is a no brainer. It isn't adding "just another WR." It's improving on Gabe Davis who was the worst #2 target of any of the remaining contenders last year.

14 minutes ago, Success said:

But Beane said it himself - we need to focus on the trenches. 

Well, we didn't. We signed Conner McGovern, that was the extent of our OL improvements this offseason. Recent history shows you can make it to the Super Bowl with elite skill positions (Bengals) or elite OL (Chiefs), or ideally both (Eagles). At this point I know there are available options that would raise our skill positions to an elite level. There is no way we are going to suddenly raise our OL to an elite level at this point. So, I take the most sensible path available - acquire one of the available players that improves our WR #2 and know for a fact that we are fielding a better offense than the one that scored 10 points in the divisional round.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

How are the BIlls supposed to stop two other NFL franchises from completing a trade? They can't stop the Jets from trading for Aaron Rodgers. They couldn't stop the Dolphins from trading for Hill. If the deals are similar, I would think that the Cardinals would go to Hopkins and ask him for his choice. He would probably choose KC because

• He would be WR #1
  • Better chance to win a SB on the defending SB champs
  • Wouldn't have to deal with 70-inch snowstorms.

Sure, the BIlls could probably get Hopkins right not for Oliver and #27, but that would be a massive overpay. Is that what you want Beane to do?

Yes, yes that’s exactly what I want Beane to do. I want a super bowl victory, and Hopkins + Diggs gets us there. 

• Disagree 2

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

The way I look at it, we know Hopkins, Jeudy, and OBJ are available. If we don't end up with one of them I consider the offseason mostly a failure. Improving the depth on the offense, but failing to improve the #2 WR when better options are available, would constitute a failure IMO.

I agree. We need more from the outside than we got from Davis to take more heat off Diggs. I think more importantly we need better o line play and better reads/plans from Dorsey and Allen. 

I hope Beane can nail a stud from the draft. I don’t know anything about college players though. 

3 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Yep, I’m not sure how we compete with Cinci/KC without a #2 . Preferably Hopkins though, he commands enough to free up Diggs. 
If KC lands Hopkins I’m going to go hulk smash mode. 

Just look at the Bills @ chiefs game played just a few months ago.  

that will tell you how we can compete with KC.  I promise.

cinci- I don’t know what to tell you.  If you need proof we can beat them in a game, it doesn’t exist.  You’ll just be all sad and cry about it in every post.  

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Yes on Hopkins, no on OBJ. I really hope we find a way to bring him here. I will completely change my mind on Beane if he makes it happen

Lol when you changed your mind about Beane based on Hopkins you’d go from being wrong to……being wrong.

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

OBJ can be done. Jerry Jeudy depending on the trade could theoretically be done with him still being under his rookie deal. DeAndre Hopkins is not happening. 

He only has this year and next year left on his deal. He has a 31 million dollar cap hit this season and a 27 million dollar cap hit next season. There's no restructure that can be done that will make him work with our cap this year or next (where we're also 18+ million over). 

He's not ripping up that deal to sign a new one that isn't a monster. Even if we could afford it, which we can't, there's no way Beane is going to pay Diggs what we're paying him and then turn around and pay Nuke's asking price.

30 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

OBJ can be done. Jerry Jeudy depending on the trade could theoretically be done with him still being under his rookie deal. DeAndre Hopkins is not happening. 

He only has this year and next year left on his deal. He has a 31 million dollar cap hit this season and a 27 million dollar cap hit next season. There's no restructure that can be done that will make him work with our cap this year or next (where we're also 18+ million over). 

He's not ripping up that deal to sign a new one that isn't a monster. Even if we could afford it, which we can't, there's no way Beane is going to pay Diggs what we're paying him and then turn around and pay Nuke's asking price.

Not saying Beane gets this deal done, but the cap hits for the team acquiring Hopkins are quite a bit lower:

”If traded, his cap hits for his new team would be $19.45 million in 2023 and $14.915 million in 2024.”

https://sports.betmgm.com/en/blog/nfl/deandre-hopkins-contract-salary-cap-hit-potential-extension-bm10/

1 hour ago, Cotton Fitzsimmons said:

Not saying Beane gets this deal done, but the cap hits for the team acquiring Hopkins are quite a bit lower:

”If traded, his cap hits for his new team would be $19.45 million in 2023 and $14.915 million in 2024.”

https://sports.betmgm.com/en/blog/nfl/deandre-hopkins-contract-salary-cap-hit-potential-extension-bm10/

Good info to have. But even at 19.5 this year and 15 next year, we can't afford that. At most, we were able to get 25 million under the cap with some heavy finessing. Probably have 7 million left right now (with Draft Picks still left to pay for) after the Harris, Sherfield, and Quessenberry signings.

We can do some more finessing. Though it's hard to see where anymore. Maybe extensions for DaQuan Jones and/or Ed Oliver? Releasing Siran Neal. But 19.5 plus compensation on one player? No way.

Gabe Davis had a down year that Beane attributes to injury. But they aren't about to guarantee that he's gone next season before the year starts by putting themselves in a situation where it would be it would be impossible to bring him back. Beane himself talked up bringing him back already in his last presser. 

It'll be a move for OBJ at a bargain bc of the risk, an outside chance at a trade for a manageable Jeudy (and even that feels unlikely to me), at most a 1 year deal for around 9 for Mecole Hardman (also unlikely to me), maybe a manageable prove it deal for a guy looking to rebuild his brand in Allen Robinson, or a high Draft pick.

But this Hopkins (and Mike Evans) talk is absolute nonsense.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Just insanity

This guy was advocating trading Matt Milano to get Mike Evans or DeAndre Hopkins, so yeah, he's pretty much muted to me at this point.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

The Cowboys have restructured Brandin Cooks contract, turning $8m of his $12m base salary into signing bonus. His salary is now $4m. He will count $6m against the cap. He is still making the $18m he was guaranteed in 2023 with Houston paying him $6m.

He'll also carry a $4m dollar cap hit and a $4m dead cap hit in 2025, even though he won't be on the team. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/brandin-cooks-14429/