Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

We need to draft our WR...we dont have the cap space to invest in D Hop.  We have Poyer, Edmunds and Devin contracts up, and Olivers the next year.  We have 3 key positions up in the air while also needing help on the OL as well as WR.

Draft a WR

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

On 1/12/2023 at 5:42 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

We need to draft our WR...we dont have the cap space to invest in D Hop.  We have Poyer, Edmunds and Devin contracts up, and Olivers the next year.  We have 3 key positions up in the air while also needing help on the OL as well as WR.

Draft a WR

Shakir might be ready to take on a bigger role too. 

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I can’t see how Devin is a priority…. Solid player but replaceable and not a position I’m giving a second contract to for production that can easily be duplicated by someone a lot cheaper. 

I’m picking Edmunds or Poyer. Not both. I’d prefer the Bills have a cost controlled potential stud WR opposite Diggs, but if the Bills come up short again this season I’d be more than fine with them going for broke and trading for D Hop, resigning Edmunds, and letting Poyer walk…… How could you not prefer the potential of Allen, Diggs, and Hopkins over retaining both Poyer and Edmunds???

That trio would be unstoppable. (Assuming Hopkins remains clean😅)

I like this thinking. Edmunds is set to make 20 mil plus due to Roquan Smith deal. Thanks Ravens. I don't like paying him that much but this year he's shown his worth. 

Love Poyer. He's a Billl to the core. However, football is a business and I'm not sure the Bills can keep him. He's getting older and injuries are becoming common. Would still like to see Poyer and Hyde leading the way for 2023. Maybe Poyer will take a nice discount to stay in Buffalo?

Agree with your Singletary take. He's solid but replaceable especially with Cook looking more productive. I'm not so sure there will be a big market out there for Devin. Again maybe he stays in Buffalo for a slight discount.

Adding DHop would be awesome. Diggs and DHop would be one of the best WR 1-2 combo in the league. Might open things up for Davis to be better too. 

In the end, I don't think the Bills will go after DHop. I think they spend their money elsewhere. 

Edited by newcam2012

On 1/10/2023 at 4:58 PM, CDogg20 said:

I would be more worried about Diggs thinking it’s gonna take away his well earned touches and keeping him happy

If we don't get the job done this year, its going to be a game changer in the mindset of Diggs. Diggs wants the ball because he feels he is the best chance for the team to win if he gets the rock enough times. There is nothing else to it..

But.

Diggs is going to be 30 next year. We do not win this year, it's going to be more about winning and if he feels the rock sharing with a dude like Hopkins will get the job done then he won't care. 

Only question and obvious one is. the price...

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I can’t see how Devin is a priority…. Solid player but replaceable and not a position I’m giving a second contract to for production that can easily be duplicated by someone a lot cheaper. 

I’m picking Edmunds or Poyer. Not both. I’d prefer the Bills have a cost controlled potential stud WR opposite Diggs, but if the Bills come up short again this season I’d be more than fine with them going for broke and trading for D Hop, resigning Edmunds, and letting Poyer walk…… How could you not prefer the potential of Allen, Diggs, and Hopkins over retaining both Poyer and Edmunds???

But it’s not about picking one…if you don’t resign them you still have to replace them and you can’t replace them all and fill every hole in one draft.  Going to have to pay some people to replace some of them too.  

The dude is definitely 1 of if not the best WR in the NFL if it's most anywhere near him he's catching it but he will demand a very high salary & i'm not sure that Beane will have the funds he has a awful lot to think about this offseason as far as resigning his core players .

But if there is a way to get it done Beane would be the guy that could do it & it wouldn't hurt my feelings if Hopkins was in Bills Blue !! 

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea….like I said, I think it’s time they start putting more primary assets into the offense and protecting Josh while finding defensive pieces to plug and play via under the radar FAs/bargain deals and later round picks…. Essentially the reverse of what they’ve been doing with the offense and defense to this point. It’s overdue. 

If Edmunds and Poyer walk I hope they don’t feel they have to use primary assets to replace them.

I mean Poyer and Edmunds have been critical to our defense.  If we lose both and don’t adequately replace them it’s going to be a huge hit to the defense.  

Im not saying go all in on the defense,  they definitely need to upgrade WR and OL.  But you don’t take money from the defense to pay top money to a 31 year old WR either.  

WR price tag has sky rocketed, that is a position to address in the draft IMHO.  I’d rather spend cap space on other positions because it will go further.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

10 hours ago, Nitro said:

Over 30 and injury prone.  PASS!  Go for youth.   Draft or FA.

This. 

I want nothing to do with Hopkins. 

He’s a far cry from the guy in Houston and seems like he’s aging quick.  

Let someone else make that move.  

We need to figure out a way to get a young, talented WR, with WR1 potential opposite Diggs. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I like this thinking. Edmunds is set to make 20 mil plus due to Roquan Smith deal. Thanks Ravens. I don't like paying him that much but this year he's shown his worth. 

Love Poyer. He's a Billl to the core. However, football is a business and I'm not sure the Bills can keep him. He's getting older and injuries are becoming common. Would still like to see Poyer and Hyde leading the way for 2023. Maybe Poyer will take a nice discount to stay in Buffalo?

Agree with your Singletary take. He's solid but replaceable especially with Cook looking more productive. I'm not so sure there will be a big market out there for Devin. Again maybe he stays in Buffalo for a slight discount.

Adding DHop would be awesome. Diggs and DHop would be one of the best WR 1-2 combo in the league. Might open things up for Davis to be better too. 

In the end, I don't think the Bills will go after DHop. I think they spend their money elsewhere. 

Poyer may not have a choice because no team is paying a 31-32 year old safety top 5 at his position money. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Because it’s not JUST edmunds or Poyer.  It’s the picks you have to give up for hopkins plus his 30M cap hit next year and 26.2 the following season.  We’ll have to decide between more players than just Poyer.  

if our offense fails us along the way this year (something it didn’t do last season) and they go after him, so be it.  I wouldn’t hate it but get ready to have an even worse OL and some players on D that could be taken advantage of.  I just don’t see that happening 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Because it’s not JUST edmunds or Poyer.  It’s the picks you have to give up for hopkins plus his 30M cap hit next year and 26.2 the following season.  We’ll have to decide between more players than just Poyer.  

if our offense fails us along the way this year (something it didn’t do last season) and they go after him, so be it.  I wouldn’t hate it but get ready to have an even worse OL and some players on D that could be taken advantage of.  I just don’t see that happening 

How much do you think DHOP would cost, picks wise?  I could see a fourth getting it done.

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I suspect resigning one of the two and replacing the other with a mid round pick/bargain veteran FA won’t, nor shouldn’t be detrimental to the defense…. Either way, as has been echoed plenty, the teams success rides with Josh and the offense so if letting both of these guys walk results in more money used on the offense to protect him and ensure the longevity of his career going forward, so be it. 

Replacing Poyer or Edmunds with a mid round pick shouldn’t be so detrimental……

How about we take Edmunds out of this defense and plug in Bernard.  Then think about what you said.  Sure, it might not be so detrimental…..but it could implode the entire difference if we don’t hit on the player.  

I agree with the last part-  if they chose to go all in on 17 and giving him the best of everything, I can get behind that.  I just don’t expect that to happen.

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

How much do you think DHOP would cost, picks wise?  I could see a fourth getting it done.

I think some of it depends on Kyler and Dhops relationship. If Hop doesn’t like Kyler and things could get ugly, maybe a 4th….. but I’d say a 2 or 3 plus later picks.  I don’t really understand the dynamics of the relationships they have going on in AZ. I think that will help determine the cost.  How bad to they want to get rid of him?

They save 8M in 2023 if they trade him.  15M in 2024. 

On 1/10/2023 at 5:09 PM, MJS said:

I think it's a little too reckless, personally.

Diggs was seen as a good receiver, a potential #1, before he got here. He hadn't made a pro bowl. Now he is seen as a truly elite #1 receiver.

Find someone like the pre-Bills Diggs. Someone who clearly has potential, but hasn't realized it fully yet.

I really like Jeudy for this....given all the chaos in DEN (and trade rumors).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 1/12/2023 at 8:42 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

Draft a WR

What if the Bills let Singletary go, don’t resign Oliver?

I agree that the combination of draft assets to acquire (unless the Bills go player for player), and a new contract makes it harder to envision.

But I do think if the Bills fall short, then it’s a move to consider. 

After last years spree, is the new normal going to be other franchises trading away their #1 WRs?

25 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It’s somewhat of a pipe dream. It’s not how this regime functions… but how do you figure the line would be even worse? 

Still, I could live with a defense being taken advantage at times because of the unstoppable offense you’d have on the other side of the ball… and like I said, even with all their investment on defense the last few years their seasons end because of that exact reason so what’s the difference? 

I figure the line could be worse because we wouldn’t have any money for any FAs.  Saffold is gone and will need to be replaced.  Morse just suffered another concussion- there’s always a chance he steps away (with 1 year left on his contract).  Quessenberry is a FA. He’s not great, but he’s super valuable depth. Our OL as a whole has been pretty healthy this season. We might not be so lucky next year.  

I’m not saying it will definitely be worse…..but it could be if the guys we get as replacements don’t produce.  Everyone talking about upgrading the OL, but if we get hopkins, our resources will be diminished and our replacements will have to be done through the draft, which could lead to an even lesser OL.