Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

23 minutes ago, Mango said:

I agree. If we have 2 of the top 10 WR’s in the entire league, we would be all set at that position.

If we grab Justin Herbert I don’t think we would need a back up QB either. Travis Kelce would really set up our TE room nicely….

Now pair that talent with the Bosa brothers and maybe bring in a Micah Parsons as a situational pass rusher.  You'd have to think that would have us competing for a #1 seed if we could swing it.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Actually not painless as you now need to spend money to replace him.  And not at all saying they should keep him.  My point is Saffords money is likely going to his replacement.  Same with Poyer or Edmunds.

You can draft some of the replacements for some of these guys, but don't think that makes much sense to have a bunch of rookies starting and replacing key players when in a win now mode.

Coming up with the money is the easy part.  The question is where is it best spent, not so sure you want to spend it to have two WR's both being paid top $$.  While I agree we need better play from WR position, based on past few years of what's happened around the league, think you could draft a rookie in 1st round, start him and get the improvement we need plus sign a mid tier guy for backup due to injury.  Having a QB like Allen makes any WR look much better too so don't need top level as much.

With limited money to use, think it's better spent on mid tier WR, IOL, and maybe S to start to fill holes.

If you go upthread, that was my original point. 

As far as Saffold and painless, I really only meant cutting him is not a problem based on his level of play. I also assume an early round draft pick will be spent on IOL. It certainly should be.

• Like (+1) 1

I mean I kind of think his production dropped after being positive for PED's.

Don't get me wrong he's good I just don't see him as culture in Buffalo - would rather get somebody else. But also wouldn't complain if we got him- so essentially I apparently can't make up my mind on it and to me it's meh

25 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

It's easy. You replace Edmunds with a rookie instead of Gabe. They should cost around the same.

Except you've likely weakened the defense more than you strengthened the offense.   As we saw this year the games Edmunds missed there was a significant drop off in play.  Now you want to replace him with a rookie!  One who assuming we win this weekend will be drafted no higher than 25.

You can find rookies with good tackling skills  and maybe also great speed, real ball hawks!  But the one thing that separates Edmunds from most is his size and amount of ground he covers.  And if you can find a rookie with size, he's still a rookie.  It took Edmunds 4 seasons to look good.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Except you've likely weakened the defense more than you strengthened the offense.   As we saw this year the games Edmunds missed there was a significant drop off in play.  Now you want to replace him with a rookie!  One who assuming we win this weekend will be drafted no higher than 25.

You can find rookies with good tackling skills  and maybe also great speed, real ball hawks!  But the one thing that separates Edmunds from most is his size and amount of ground he covers.  And if you can find a rookie with size, he's still a rookie.  It took Edmunds 4 seasons to look good.

Well said! 

But he’s still younger than…oh never mind. 

Wait, what is this about again? 

Edited by Augie

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Diggs signing off on this would be necessary. We don't want an ego battle. Once this deal is done maybe we can coax JJ out of retirement for a 2 year deal to pair on the other side with Von. Rotate Groot as the 3rd DE.  Then draft OL heavy.  Guys come out of retirement all the time?

Gronk too. Don’t forget Gronk 🤣

For a 2nd it's a no brainer. Money might be an issue. But Allen has said before he is willing to restructure his contract to put a better team around him. I'm sure he would love to have a jump ball receiver like Hopkins so I think we could make it work. I don't care if he's on the wrong side of 30, he is still a game changer and our Super Bowl window isn't going away any time soon.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

There definitely wasn't the first game at all. Dodson filled in admirably. That said, the plan isn't to replace Edmunds with Dodson, it's to replace with with an equal and ideally superior player.

55 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Now pair that talent with the Bosa brothers and maybe bring in a Micah Parsons as a situational pass rusher.  You'd have to think that would have us competing for a #1 seed if we could swing it.

A lot of teams would be pleased if they could get Jaire Alexander and Sauce Gardner on the field at the same time. 

• Agree 1

Trading for DHop on his current deal is a non-starter for Buffalo. Now if the Cards were to release him and he wanted a 1 year ring chase deal? I am all in.

DHop played in 9 games this year. He averaged 80 yards a game. That would still have him top 10 right among the other elite guys. And this despite the fact he only played 4 games with Kyler. The other 5 starts came with Colt McCoy (3), David Blough (1) and Trace McSorely (1) at QB. He averaged 99 yards per game with Kyler. That would put him 3rd in the NFL.... behind Jefferson and Hill.

He is still right up there with the best in the NFL. I said before the season that I still thought DHop and Hill were both elite against the narrative of them slowing down. I still think they are both elite. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

But the Cardinals want Murray's input on the HC.

Murray: Coach do you like Call of Duty?

Coach: Whats that?

Murray: Next!

As to the thread... I would love Hopkins here on the other side of Diggs.  I just dont think the Bills can afford it.  Restructures or not.

Edited by Scott7975

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Trading for DHop on his current deal is a non-starter for Buffalo. Now if the Cards were to release him and he wanted a 1 year ring chase deal? I am all in.

DHop played in 9 games this year. He averaged 80 yards a game. That would still have him top 10 right among the other elite guys. And this despite the fact he only played 4 games with Kyler. The other 5 starts came with Colt McCoy (3), David Blough (1) and Trace McSorely (1) at QB. He averaged 99 yards per game with Kyler. That would put him 3rd in the NFL.... behind Jefferson and Hill.

He is still right up there with the best in the NFL. I said before the season that I still thought DHop and Hill were both elite against the narrative of them slowing down. I still think they are both elite. 

It's been a few years since he did that for a full season.

If we are going to make a trade for a wr I think the better play would be cooks from Houston. He likely could be had for a 3rd or 4th and without any restructure I believe his cap hit is 16.5 next year if he is traded. He is on record saying that he doesn’t want to be part of Houston’s rebuild. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It's been a few years since he did that for a full season.

Fair but his last full season number puts him right there with Stef and behind only JJ, Hill, Adams and AJ Brown. He is still an elite receiver. 

Is he as reliable in terms of availability as he was? Maybe not. But on a 1 year ring chase swing it is 100% a swing I'd take. Whether he'd do that I don't know. Depends how bad he wants to win.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Fair but his last full season number puts him right there with Stef and behind only JJ, Hill, Adams and AJ Brown. He is still an elite receiver. 

Is he as reliable in terms of availability as he was? Maybe not. But on a 1 year ring chase swing it is 100% a swing I'd take. Whether he'd do that I don't know. Depends how bad he wants to win.

His suspension last season gives some hint as to how much...

• Disagree 1