Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

This doesn't need to happen.  $44 million for 2 WRs is too much to pay.  

20 minutes ago, MJS said:

I think it's a little too reckless, personally.

Diggs was seen as a good receiver, a potential #1, before he got here. He hadn't made a pro bowl. Now he is seen as a truly elite #1 receiver.

Find someone like the pre-Bills Diggs. Someone who clearly has potential, but hasn't realized it fully yet.

Diggs was a #1 WR when he got here.  Judging from Pro Bowl appearances is pretty lame.  

• Disagree 1

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A better title will help the community find information faster and make your topic more likely to be read. The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

• Simon changed the title to [Vague Title]
44 minutes ago, CDogg20 said:

I agree and would love this move…as long as Diggs approves 🤣

Diggs signing off on this would be necessary. We don't want an ego battle. Once this deal is done maybe we can coax JJ out of retirement for a 2 year deal to pair on the other side with Von. Rotate Groot as the 3rd DE.  Then draft OL heavy.  Guys come out of retirement all the time?

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Correct. You want someone who is ready to ascend to #1 as Diggs descends into dependable #2.

You do that with someone down the depth chart. You still need someone for the next year or two while that player gets up to speed. Hopkins on a 2-3 year deal would make total sense.

However, his current cap hit is untenable. They're looking to trade him, because what they're really planning on doing is releasing him for the cap money.

1 hour ago, NeverOutNick said:

The Score's Jordan Schultz reports that the Cardinals plan to trade DeAndre Hopkins this offseason.

i’ve been telling my buddies for the last month that if we could just get DeAndre Hopkins to be our 1b to Stefon Diggs 1a we would be set at receiver next year. Gabe Davis can then flourish as the third guy like he used to. And we know DeAndre Hopkins has some of the best hands this league has ever seen.

Then the draft would be Offensive line galore with a sprinkle of secondary help 

I agree. If we have 2 of the top 10 WR’s in the entire league, we would be all set at that position.

If we grab Justin Herbert I don’t think we would need a back up QB either. Travis Kelce would really set up our TE room nicely….

Edited by Mango
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

You do that with someone down the depth chart. You still need someone for the next year or two while that player gets up to speed. Hopkins on a 2-3 year deal would make total sense.

However, his current cap hit is untenable. They're looking to trade him, because what they're really planning on doing is releasing him for the cap money.

I can't see how you add Hopkins even if he restructures his contract. If there's no salary cap consideration, of course, that would be a different matter.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I can't see how you add Hopkins even if he restructures his contract. If there's no salary cap consideration, of course, that would be a different matter.

It's easy. You replace Edmunds with a rookie instead of Gabe. They should cost around the same.

Edited by BullBuchanan

It's easy. You replace Edmunds with a rookie instead of Gabe. They should cost around the same.

Well, I like Edmunds better than many here. Maybe he's too expensive to keep. I understand LB is one of those positons like RB where you often cycle after the first contract.

OP, I surmise [Vague title] is a euphemism for "no damn title at all." It can't be that hard to write "Bills should go get Hopkins" or some such.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

Well, I like Edmunds better than many here. Maybe he's too expensive to keep. I understand LB is one of those positons like RB where you often cycle after the first contract.

You also likely have Poyer coming off the books, which i don't like, but that covers half.. You can rework Taron johnson to get another 4-5. you release mckenzie and save 1.8. Void saffold and save 2. It's definitely doable.

You also likely have Poyer coming off the books, which i don't like, but that covers half.. You can rework Taron johnson to get another 4-5. you release mckenzie and save 1.8. Void saffold and save 2. It's definitely doable.

Alright, I'll grant there's probably multiple ways to do it. Void Saffold is painless. Poyer, I'd rather find a way to keep, but I'm guessing he's gone.

3 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

Alright, I'll grant there's probably multiple ways to do it. Void Saffold is painless. Poyer, I'd rather find a way to keep, but I'm guessing he's gone.

Actually not painless as you now need to spend money to replace him.  And not at all saying they should keep him.  My point is Saffords money is likely going to his replacement.  Same with Poyer or Edmunds.

You can draft some of the replacements for some of these guys, but don't think that makes much sense to have a bunch of rookies starting and replacing key players when in a win now mode.

Coming up with the money is the easy part.  The question is where is it best spent, not so sure you want to spend it to have two WR's both being paid top $$.  While I agree we need better play from WR position, based on past few years of what's happened around the league, think you could draft a rookie in 1st round, start him and get the improvement we need plus sign a mid tier guy for backup due to injury.  Having a QB like Allen makes any WR look much better too so don't need top level as much.

With limited money to use, think it's better spent on mid tier WR, IOL, and maybe S to start to fill holes.

Just now, TheBrownBear said:

Yep.  Work the draft or look for next year's Christian Kirk (though I think he was expensive, no?).

Kirk was expensive. I may recollect amiss, but I believe Josh tried to recruit him. Fella didn't want to play in cold weather, or his wife/girlfriend didn't want to live in Blo.

• Thank you (+1) 1