Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

The Score's Jordan Schultz reports that the Cardinals plan to trade DeAndre Hopkins this offseason.

i’ve been telling my buddies for the last month that if we could just get DeAndre Hopkins to be our 1b to Stefon Diggs 1a we would be set at receiver next year. Gabe Davis can then flourish as the third guy like he used to. And we know DeAndre Hopkins has some of the best hands this league has ever seen.

Then the draft would be Offensive line galore with a sprinkle of secondary help 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Dislike 3

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I worry about paying a soon to be 31 receiver. He is great though.

I would be more worried about Diggs thinking it’s gonna take away his well earned touches and keeping him happy

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, CDogg20 said:

I would be more worried about Diggs thinking it’s gonna take away his well earned touches and keeping him happy

As long as he doesn’t get paid more than Diggs I think it’ll be fine. We would be set for the next few years while we’re in prime dynasty window. Josh needs reliability outside of Diggs and this would be it

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 6

My thing is opportunity cost.  There’s only so much cap money.   Spend a huge chunk on WRs and there’s nothing left for other position groups.

As much as I like Hopkins, I don’t think we can afford two high priced wideouts. It may not be as sexy, but I’d rather invest in an OL upgrade. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 12

1 minute ago, NeverOutNick said:

As long as he doesn’t get paid more than Diggs I think it’ll be fine. We would be set for the next few years while we’re in prime dynasty window. Josh needs reliability outside of Diggs and this would be it

I agree and would love this move…as long as Diggs approves 🤣

I think it's a little too reckless, personally.

Diggs was seen as a good receiver, a potential #1, before he got here. He hadn't made a pro bowl. Now he is seen as a truly elite #1 receiver.

Find someone like the pre-Bills Diggs. Someone who clearly has potential, but hasn't realized it fully yet.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I'm amazed at the number of people who think it's a good idea to trade valuable draft assets for a high priced receiver on the downside of his career.

It's very likely that we draft a receiver in the early rounds next year to continue adding to the current corps, while giving Gabe Davis another year to decide if he's worth paying in free agency

The plan doesn't need to be more complicated than that, especially since we really need to start valuing having contributing players on rookie contracts. 

WR is a great position for that

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 9

12 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Would love it, but how are we going to afford it with current cap situation and other needs?

I am generally not in love with giving up draft picks to get very expensive players, especially older ones. There can be exceptions (Von would be handy to have right now, if healthy), of course, but we need more young, “cheap” labor to have the cap space to keep the guys we need to extend. 

2 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Why not, we are loaded with cap space :w00t:

Careful, we are going to ask YOU to chip in! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, MJS said:

I think it's a little too reckless, personally.

Diggs was seen as a good receiver, a potential #1, before he got here. He hadn't made a pro bowl. Now he is seen as a truly elite #1 receiver.

Find someone like the pre-Bills Diggs. Someone who clearly has potential, but hasn't realized it fully yet.

Correct. You want someone who is ready to ascend to #1 as Diggs descends into dependable #2.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I am generally not in love with giving up draft picks to get very expensive players, especially older ones. There can be exceptions (Von would be handy to have right now, if healthy), of course, but we need more young, “cheap” labor to have the cap space to keep the guys we need to extend. 

Careful, we are going to ask YOU to chip in! 

Oh noooooo 

• Haha (+1) 1