The Importance of Von Miller

Pasaluki

I for one can't wait to get him back next year. The injury sucks but I think Von Miller made a big impact already.

His greatest contribution was against our hated foes the Kansas City Chiefs. 

He was huge in beating the Chiefs. The Bills vs Chiefs game became a game of huge importance now that we know how the playoffs will work. Because the win gave us a tiebreaker it factored into the resolution the NFL made in regards to the playoffs. 

Von Miller's last gift to us this season is a potential neutral field for the penultimate battle for the AFC Crown. 

Let's not squander it. 

Thanks Von.

And 

GO BILLS! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I think his value to the team is greatly overestimated by most fans.

Of any big name we had to lose for the playoff run, he'd be the first name I'd choose.

seriously?  The guy is a SB MVP and has 4 SB sacks.  He sacked Mahomes twice late to win us the game.

Go take a look at how much pressure we generated by rushing 4 when he was playing .  The D has noticeably fallen off in that area. 

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 16

7 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Of any big name we had to lose for the playoff run, he'd be the first name I'd choose.

Single-handedly won us the first Chiefs game and we won’t have him next time around. He was the last person I wanted to lose on defense. He’s the only Hall of Famer on that side of the ball and was still playing at a high level. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The opposite actually

His value was underestimated.

There's an argument that can be made that we don't win the game against KC without him.

If KC wins that they get the #1 seed and the Bills play at arrowhead. 

Von Miller's play in that game ended up a bigger impact is all I'm saying. 

I'm not saying he's Josh Allen. 

I'm saying he was part of something that could go down in the Lore of the NFL if we play KC at a neutral site. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

Just now, JayBaller10 said:

Single-handedly won us the first Chiefs game and we won’t have him next time around. He was the last person I wanted to lose on defense. He’s the only Hall of Famer on that side of the ball and was still playing at a high level. 

THANK YOU!! Some Common Sense around here is refreshing!  Sheesh! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I don't know about overestimated, but I will say imo the loss of Hyde is a little bit more worse than Miller.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I suppose that would depend on how you define "big name." If you mean someone whose name would be recognized by a casual non-Bills fan, then we've got Allen, Diggs, and Miller. In that case, I'd agree with you. But that doesn't mean his value is overestimated, just that our defense was decent even without him, while our offense would be SOL without Allen or Diggs.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Captain Obvious in the bold.  

He made some great plays 💯.  Game changing plays. Josh made game changing plays and minus him, we don’t win that game.  We probably don’t win if elam doesn’t make that end zone int.  We may have lost if Taron doesn’t make that int (von contributed, but it was the play call that won that play).  One thing is for sure, no one person “singlehandedly” won that game.  

8 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

I don't know about overestimated, but I will say imo the loss of Hyde is a little bit more worse than Miller.

i think because we have a squad of DEs and rotate them, but we are down to 3rd string safety and it's 100% of snaps and a big drop off

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Just another check in your bedpost full of terrible takes

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Patrick Duffy said:

That's debatable but not what I'm talking about. 

Von Miller to me = neutral site 

He was part of something that could end up mean A LOT to the team. He was more important than I think alot of Bills fans realize even though since he's injured he's kind of thought of as an afterthought. Were you thinking about Von Miller last week?

No. You probably shouldn't be.

This team is awesome in 50,000 ways!

I'm saying he was a more impact player than ppl realize because his performance against KC in prime time sent a shockwave that we aren't even feeling until now.

This is why the Bills hopefully won't squander what I call Von's Gift.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Totally disagree.  Von was/is our biggest playmaker on Defense.  IMO he was signed for big games to make plays such as the KC game and playoff games.

I think he brings/brought a lot to the locker room and teaching the young players too.  He embraced our Bills culture and improved it also.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, colin said:

i think because we have a squad of DEs and rotate them, but we are down to 3rd string safety and it's 100% of snaps and a big drop off

Yeah this process of rotating the front four and all the dollars and draft pick wrapped into it would be fine if they were getting home and changing games. 

i don’t see it. 

😑 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

Buffalo Bills pass rush weeks 1-12 (With Von Miller)

QB Pressure % - 29.2% (17th in the NFL)

Pass Rush Win Rate - 43.8%

Buffalo Bills pass rush weeks 13 to 18 (Without Von Miller)

QB Pressure % - 33.8% (8th in the NFL)

Pass Rush Win Rate - 44.8% (Higher than with Von)

No doubt, the players and staff (and fans) would love to have Von out there still.  But the stats say that we are no worse without him right now, and even a little better since he got hurt.  

The reality is that where Von will be missed more is in those big moments, as that closer kind of role.  But, at least we didn't see a big drop off when he went down, which is what we all feared the most.  Still a question on whether or not our other guys can be that closer in key moments, but I think Von's biggest impact has been to help elevate the guys around us through his energy, teachings, etc and hopefully that translates into closing out games like we signed Von for.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I hope we sit him out til the playoffs.  

Bases on what we saw with Tre White acl rehab, we likely won’t have Von back until December 2023 anyway

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Buffalo Bills pass rush weeks 1-12 (With Von Miller)

QB Pressure % - 29.2% (17th in the NFL)

Pass Rush Win Rate - 43.8%

Buffalo Bills pass rush weeks 13 to 18 (Without Von Miller)

QB Pressure % - 33.8% (8th in the NFL)

Pass Rush Win Rate - 44.8% (Higher than with Von)

No doubt, the players and staff (and fans) would love to have Von out there still.  But the stats say that we are no worse without him right now, and even a little better since he got hurt.  

The reality is that where Von will be missed more is in those big moments, as that closer kind of role.  But, at least we didn't see a big drop off when he went down, which is what we all feared the most.  Still a question on whether or not our other guys can be that closer in key moments, but I think Von's biggest impact has been to help elevate the guys around us through his energy, teachings, etc and hopefully that translates into closing out games like we signed Von for.  

The stats looking similar before and after Von Miller does not surprise me.

what I noticed with Von Miller, is that even when he was somewhat invisible for most of the game, when we needed him the most, when we desperately needed that big time qb pressure or sack at the end of the game, he always seemed to show up.

thats what we miss 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Bases on what we saw with Tre White acl rehab, we likely won’t have Von back until December 2023 anyway

The stats looking similar before and after Von Miller does not surprise me.

what I noticed with Von Miller, is that even when he was somewhat invisible for most of the game, when we needed him the most, when we desperately needed that big time qb pressure or sack at the end of the game, he always seemed to show up.

thats what we miss 

Yeah, which is what exactly I said in the post you responded to

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.