Roquan $mith agrees to deal with Ravens - highest paid LB in NFL history

Big Blitz

I think we pretty much have to re-sign Edmunds. We have too many holes elsewhere on the roster to create another one by letting Edmunds walk. The initially reported numbers will be eye-popping but Beane is smart enough and Pegula is rich enough to structure the contract well. Edmunds strikes me as a pretty low-key guy, I don't think he's hunting for the biggest contract in NFL history.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

With 17 getting 40 mil per now, the Bills loyalists will have to get used to  some of our guys leaving.  That is the purpose of the  cap....to balance talent across the league.

obviously locker room chemistry is important to this staff, but as a fan there’s not many players on this team I’m worried about losing, I.e. would care if they were gone after the season. 

milano, Hyde, diggs, and josh are about it. (Maybe groot) 

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

One thing to keep in mind is that the cap is likely to go WAY up. Bear in mind that it went down in the covid year and the league has had a banner year revenue wise this year. It's expected to go up by $15 million or so: https://www.nfl.com/news/salary-cap-for-2023-nfl-season-could-exceed-220-million-but-questions-remain .

We also still have a number of contracts we can restructure, most notably Allen's, to open up a lot more cap space. A lot of Bills fans have the view that we will be extremely tight this offseason. I don't agree. Beane has left plenty of breathing room in the outstanding contracts, and we have an owner who is cash-rich enough to front load future contracts with bonus money. No doubt in my mind we could re-sign Edmunds, Poyer, and Oliver if we really wanted to, although realistically I expect one of those three to be the odd man out. And then I still think we'll have enough room left over to sign a starting caliber WR and G. 

4 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Doubtful on using the FT on Edmunds. LB tag includes pass rushing OLBs so it is projected to be $21M in 2023. No bueno. 

Hefty but I wouldn’t rule it out. 

You could argue that guaranteeing a guy 21M for a year might be okay, to get you by while you find a cheaper replacement, instead of leaving yourself with limited options or having to guarantee a player 45M like Roquan got. 

I don’t foresee a tag either, but I wouldn’t count it out. It’s entirely plausible they’d want to spend a bit more for a single year than invest twice that or more. 

The bottom line is this:

We can’t pay everyone. Beane and company will be afforded less and less wiggle room with their draft picks. The luxury days of picking rotational players and special teams contributors in the first three rounds is over. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Hefty but I wouldn’t rule it out. 

You could argue that guaranteeing a guy 21M for a year might be okay, to get you by while you find a cheaper replacement, instead of leaving yourself with limited options or having to guarantee a player 45M like Roquan got. 

I don’t foresee a tag either, but I wouldn’t count it out. It’s entirely plausible they’d want to spend a bit more for a single year than invest twice that or more. 

The bottom line is this:

We can’t pay everyone. Beane and company will be afforded less and less wiggle room with their draft picks. The luxury days of picking rotational players and special teams contributors in the first three rounds is over. 

A 1 year Franchise Tag also means $21M against the Salary cap.  Teams will not do that.

7 hours ago, ganesh said:

A 1 year Franchise Tag also means $21M against the Salary cap.  Teams will not do that.

Again, I don’t think the bills will do it, I just wouldn’t rule it out.

To say that teams won’t do that is not accurate. Teams use the tag regularly for all different reasons. The 2023 tag numbers are high because contracts are reflecting likely higher cap figures in years to come.

Just last year, Orlando Brown signed his franchise tag (16M) and he may not be re-signed in Kansas City. On the other hand, it could be used to extend negotiations.

Two seasons ago, Chris Godwin was tagged and played out the year. He was tagged again this past off-season, this time extending him a long term contract surplanting the second tag.

Two big name players, two likely different outcomes, 1 similar strategy: using the tag as a tool (albeit an expensive one) to keep a player around before investing even heavier dollars into that player. Whether teams choose to eventually extended or not, regardless the cause being financial or performance based, is a real possibility used by many teams in this league.

8 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Doubtful on using the FT on Edmunds. LB tag includes pass rushing OLBs so it is projected to be $21M in 2023. No bueno. 

Wow. Yeah, the FT is not really an option then. They could try to use the Transition Tag. That would at least give them the chance to match an offer. That runs around $16M. Hopefully Edmunds pulls a Milano and gives us a hometown discount to stay for 3-4 more years. He could still get one more sizeable contract after that as he would still be under 30 years old. 

• Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, colin said:

from an nfl team who signs him, most likely the bills.  who do you think?

I don't know. I'm not sure it is a great idea in the modern NFL to pay a LB huge money.

I know the man is young and talented. I personally think that the Bills need to spend money protecting the best QB in football and providing him with more targets. 

Jmo.

Edited by Bill from NYC

32 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I don't know. I'm not sure it is a great idea in the modern NFL to pay a LB huge money.

I know the man is young and talented. I presonally think that the Bills need to spend money protecting the best QB in football and providing him with more targets. 

Jmo.

could be, but look at what SF and baltimore paid their top flight MLBs.  bobby wags gets huge money too.

to me, mcd is all about his d, and loves to spend money on it, and edmunds is our most consistent player by far in terms of number of snaps he's on the field.  don't think mcd wants to lose that.

also, based on current trend whatever he signs will be cheap 2 or 3 years into it.

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

From who?

If he makes it to free agency some team with 100m cap space like Jacksonville will just to say they are trying. I mean, look what they gave wild man Zay Jones😳. Matter of fact, if he makes it to free agency, I guarantee he gets 20m per year. Salaries are just going to get more ridiculous year after year.

7 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

If he makes it to free agency some team with 100m cap space like Jacksonville will just to say they are trying. I mean, look what they gave wild man Zay Jones😳. Matter of fact, if he makes it to free agency, I guarantee he gets 20m per year. Salaries are just going to get more ridiculous year after year.

Chicago also has $118M in projected cap space and there is DEFINITELY a need there after the trade of Roquan. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.