"Unknown" high ranking official from Bills or Bengals trashes NFL and Troy Vincent for response

Big Turk

If that was a Bills member, really wish they could’ve waited until after the season… and then blow up the NFL!  

It’s not too far fetched to think that the NFL will go out of its way to find a way to screw the Bills now.  It’s like calling out the mob boss. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Wow...some more in depth info regarding what actually happened from an "unknown" high ranking official on either the Bills or Bengals. My bet is the Bills.

Just absolutely trashes the NFL and Troy Vincent and says Dawn Aponte, the NFL representative at the game "held the line hard" even as Vincent tried to force her to make them resume play...

Also claimed they weren't going back out on the field to play even if the "Lord himself came down" and that the Bills and Bengals decided to stop playing that game not the NFL.

I'm not surprised. NFL is the king of doing one thing and then trying to gloss over it and make it appear they were doing the opposite once it happens. All they care about is the "appearance" of doing the right thing, not actually doing it.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-vs-espn-over-whether-025927564.html

Troy Vincent was the guy who broke JP Losman's ankle in his rookie camp because, from what I heard, Troy wanted to knock the rookie down a couple pegs.

1 hour ago, ToGoGo said:

Amazing article. 

Stuns me how some people can lie like that and live with themselves. 

I was willing to give the NFL the benefit of the doubt. After all, how often does something like this happen. Not everything is planned for and I could imagine a lot of confusion in the moment. (Hence the 5 minute thing.)

17 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

I actually could totally hear Beane saying a lot of those things.  I at least think it’s a Bills official, based on the following quote specifically:

"We felt confusion and nonsense more than pressure," the team official said. "They were still discussing things. In our mind there was nothing to be discussed. ... If they would have said, 'If you leave you're forfeiting the game,' we're still leaving."

Leaving and forfeiting sounds to me like a Bills official, since they were the road team AND already behind.  Plus, they’re the team who just watched one of their teammates get CPR on the field.

You could be right. That does sound like someone from the Bills side.

• Like (+1) 1

I took some flak on Reddit for suggesting the NFL did not handle this very well and the bills/bengals saved the nfl’s bacon.  I wonder if it was all NFL employee burner accounts haha

it was pretty obvious that was what happened.  The bengals wouldn’t have randomly started warming up during an indefinite delay 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Playoffs? said:

If that was a Bills member, really wish they could’ve waited until after the season… and then blow up the NFL!  

It’s not too far fetched to think that the NFL will go out of its way to find a way to screw the Bills now.  It’s like calling out the mob boss. 

I think the Bills and Bengals being on the same page on how to handle all of this gives them a lot of leverage over the NFL. I don’t think the NFL is in position to give out any backlash. They are really on their heels here with a lot of reputation to protect. Add in that ESPN basically called them out as liars as well, I think they will be more accommodating than anything at this point.

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Wow...some more in depth info regarding what actually happened from an "unknown" high ranking official on either the Bills or Bengals. My bet is the Bills.

Just absolutely trashes the NFL and Troy Vincent and says Dawn Aponte, the NFL representative at the game "held the line hard" even as Vincent tried to force her to make them resume play...

Also claimed they weren't going back out on the field to play even if the "Lord himself came down" and that the Bills and Bengals decided to stop playing that game not the NFL.

I'm not surprised. NFL is the king of doing one thing and then trying to gloss over it and make it appear they were doing the opposite once it happens. All they care about is the "appearance" of doing the right thing, not actually doing it.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-vs-espn-over-whether-025927564.html

Is this "revelation" somehow news?

It was fairly obvious the night of the game that this is how it played out, and that didn't surprise me at all.

Do you really think billion dollar business is going to voluntarily detour itself because a player was hurt?

The NFL's position at the time was "he's off the field now, let's play football" and the 2 teams at the scene chose not to continue.

It's not a pleasant situation but that's the country you folks live in.

No surprises here.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Is this "revelation" somehow news?

It was fairly obvious the night of the game that this is how it played out, and that didn't surprise me at all.

Do you really think billion dollar business is going to voluntarily detour itself because a player was hurt?

The NFL's position at the time was "he's off the field now, let's play football" and the 2 teams at the scene chose not to continue.

It's not a pleasant situation but that's the country you folks live in.

No surprises here.

It must be because the majority of the people in r/nfl were praising the nfl for handling it perfectly and anyone suggesting the nfl wanted to continue the game was pretty much attacked lol.  Maybe we have a different perspective in Bills world 

the theory was ‘joe Buck misrepresented the normal ambulance protocol as what was happening currently on the field’ but ESPN stuck to their guns so that went out the window pretty fast 

I was told ‘so you actually think ESPN broadcasters have a way to communicate with the league office?’ many times and the answer to that was clearly a yes lol

46 minutes ago, Last Guy on the Bench said:

Not saying it wasn't some Bills official or other, though I tend to doubt it, given the culture there. But that quote really doesn't have the vibe of Bean or McDermott anyway. I would be completely shocked if it were one of them. Can't see them sounding off to a reporter in that tone. Way out of character.

So Troy Vincent played for the Bills for 3 years from 2004 to 2006.  He is the player who broke JP Losman’s leg during his rookie year.

The whole bit about Troy Vincent being the wrong person in the wrong position at the wrong time, “he wants to be the hero but he will never take accountability”, sounds like someone who has formed an opinion about Troy Vincent from personal experience with him. - possibly while Vincent was in Buffalo and did not take responsibility for breaking the leg of a red-shirted player who was intended to be the team’s QB of the future.

I’m not sure who that would be, but probably someone who’s been around the Bills for 14-15 years.

Edit: I agree with you that would ABSOLUTELY not be McDermott who said that about the Lord coming down, pretty sure he would consider that. blasphemous.  Beane is also much too politically savvy to go “off the record” with stuff that might put him in an adversarial position with the NFL or disadvantage his team with the NFL, and it doesn’t sound like his word use.

Edited by Beck Water

25 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Troy Vincent was the guy who broke JP Losman's ankle in his rookie camp because, from what I heard, Troy wanted to knock the rookie down a couple pegs.

I was willing to give the NFL the benefit of the doubt. After all, how often does something like this happen. Not everything is planned for and I could imagine a lot of confusion in the moment. (Hence the 5 minute thing.)

Yep...and when talking about it he lied and said Losman got hurt because he cut back to the middle of the field and he barely hit his shoulder pad as he went by.

Still lying apparently.

Edited by Big Turk

7 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I took some flak on Reddit for suggesting the NFL did not handle this very well and the bills/bengals saved the nfl’s bacon.  I wonder if it was all NFL employee burner accounts haha

it was pretty obvious that was what happened.  The bengals wouldn’t have randomly started warming up during an indefinite delay 

Same for Diggs getting the players to huddle up and giving them an impassioned speech, and the Bills players defensive players putting their helmets on.

Don’t see that happening if no one in a position of authority (NFL) hadn’t told them they were expected to warm up and get back to the game.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Same for Diggs getting the players to huddle up and giving them an impassioned speech, and the Bills players defensive players putting their helmets on.

Don’t see that happening if no one in a position of authority (NFL) hadn’t told them they were expected to warm up and get back to the game.

I normally wouldn’t mind because the right decision was reached and the focus should be on the trainers for saving Hamlins life but McDermott and Taylor deserve all the credit in the world for standing up to the league and this NFL cover up buries that.  

it’s not really about wanting another reason to be mad at the league at all. Especially for zac Taylor who had every reason to want the game resumed later in the week 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Florio, who I have varied opinions about, makes a reasonable point

The shock waves started last Monday, exacerbated by Vincent’s decision to characterize any suggestion of resuming play as “insensitive” and “ridiculous,” when it would have been perfectly reasonable to explain that the league has a standard protocol that initially was going to be deployed, until it became obvious that the situation called for a different approach.

If that had happened, a huge mess would have been avoided.

By basically pointing at the experienced and well-connected ESPN broadcast team of Joe Buck and their rules expert Parry as basically saying what they did on air without any league source or justification, the league basically set up an “Us vs Them” situation with ESPN.

If the league and Vincent has been willing to acknowledge that there was a lot of confusion in an unprecedented situation, there’s a standard protocol that was going to be implemented until it became evident that this wasn’t a standard situation and it called for a different approach - no one would be talking about this.

But by trying to paint the NFL entirely as a sensitive, kindly organization wholly on top of a basically unprecedented situation, and ESPN as full of baloney, Vincent triggered the Press Reflex to research the story and get to the bottom of it.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

Joe Buck points out there was a 40 min lag between warmup statement and fix. Diggs warmup was ugly. League was trying to restart and McD told Zac, ‘no way can I coach” Taylor supported  locker room privacy. These coach’s have  no incentive and can’t collectively lie. NFL can. 

2 hours ago, transient said:

Hard to think someone who intentionally injured his own team’s rookie QB would now be capable of having the interest of the players in mind. 

This^^^^  How ridiculous is it that Troy Vincent, who broke JP Losman's leg in TC to "send the kid a message", is now the NFL's Director of Player Safety?  You just can't make this ***** up.  ***** Troy Vincent and the horse he rode in on.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

This^^^^  How ridiculous is it that Troy Vincent, who broke JP Losman's leg in TC to "send the kid a message", is now the NFL's Director of Player Safety?  You just can't make this ***** up.  ***** Troy Vincent and the horse he rode in on.

It is widely known Vincent purposely injured Losman.  One of the worst kept secrets.

To have this man in charge at the level he is is gross.  When he was a player, didn’t care about players.  What makes anyone think he’d change once the NFL commissioner signed his paychecks?

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Last Guy on the Bench said:

You could be right. That does sound like someone from the Bills side.

It does.  But I can’t believe the Bills would leak that info.  They have been Fort Knox with information since Beane came aboard.  Not sure why they would leak the actions of the NFL?  What is there to gain?

Standing up for one’s convictions, and for what is right regardless of consequences is important in life.  I hope whoever did this is doing it for those reasons.  Not to make a name for themselves or for “political” gain.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.