Panthers request to interview Dorsey for HC

Process

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

LOL you don’t get to choose

I think McDermott feels Frazier deserves a shot, and Frazier feels he deserves a shot, but someone who is hiring a HC has to agree

I tend to agree with you

In fact, if I were Dorsey, I would be “No Thanks, More to Learn First”

but

There are only 32 of these jobs in the world, and people who eventually want one, tend to seize any offer they get

Plus not like 1st time HCs have a high bar most are not very successful but the experience can be what made the good hc on their future teams.  So while Dorsey may even realize he would benefit by staying as oc  a bit longer he can learn hc responsibilities and perhaps he's not an x and o guy far as designing them.   It always will boil down to what they want and some of that is who you know too.  

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

We're 13-3 because of Josh, not any amazing innovative decisions by Dorsey. Way, way too early. Desperation breeds poor decisions. 

There are many reasons to request an interview with a potential candidate for a job.

One is that you have legitimate interest in having him possibly fill the job.

But there are others. Maybe you want to ask him questions about his current position, or how he's handling it, or how his current organization is functioning. Another might be that you want to vet him for a position down the road and let him know of your long-term interest in his career. There are plenty of others.

This is so early in Dorsey's OC term it seems weird that they would think of him as a legit HC candidate. HC positions are mostly about executive functioning, which Dorsey hasn't showed much of yet. I suppose it's possible they want him, but seems more likely to me they want to ask him some questions about something or possibly just vet him for down-the-line positions.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I question the source Ian R talked to. I doubt this is authentic. No one moves up the ranks that fast except Jeff Saturday. 

He fits the current mold.  Young, offensive minded, didn’t toil behind others for too long.

Also, wouldn’t put it past teams to throw a wide net, inclusive of the “flavor of the month”.  That way, whomever they pick is perceived as the best of the lot.  I’d suggest these long lists are really short lists giving the illusion of due diligence.  

Edited by davefan66
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Ok, now that’s out of the way.  Hey, he’ll get HC interviewing experience which can never hurt, and the likelihood of an OC for less than 1 year is unlikely.

Daboll OTH had lots of experience and was ready for the next step.  My guess is given there are usually 7 or so openings each year we’ll probably lose him in 1-2 years of the Bills continue to build up 12-13 wins a season on average.

Its a very nice compliment to him he’s getting noticed by other organizations.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Good for him, I hope he gets it.  The. I hope he turns the Panthers around, then I hope the fact we still have a defensive coach who can’t win a big game and we have given away two guys who turned teams around get him fired and we hire an offensive mind because it’s all that matters.

Right because our defensive coach hasn't turned a franchise completely around.   While many an offensive coach has been hired and fired in the same time period.  Horrible take.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I can absolutely imagine David Tepper, one of the dumbest owners in all of sports, thinking "hey the last guy that coached Josh Allen and became head coach looks like a pretty good hire!" Otherwise this interview makes no sense, and I say that as someone that thinks Dorsey has done a good job this year.

Dorsey does throw a pretty mean tablet...that shows 'passion'.  What many owners are looking for. 🤨

3 hours ago, wppete said:

I’m surprised. 1st year OC doing a decent job. Maybe he could be a HC in the future and they want to get an early look at him?  

Potentially going to a team he was on staff with in the past and with a FO in Dan Morgan that knows him from multiple spots - why wouldn’t they interview him.

Like Dabol in NYC - the GM/Assistant GM has worked with and believes they can work together.

I actually think Dorsey could make a great HC - not sure he is ready, but he has QB experience and did a bit of scouting with Carolina originally, but this is more about finding a good fit between FO and coaching staff.  Finding a highly qualified DC is much easier as those positions are not getting HC jobs - so you can pick those guys up all over, but a young talented OC that you are somewhat familiar with is  what teams are dying for.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I wonder if Dorsey's Miami Meltdown did anything to damage his viability as a head coaching candidate this offseason.

As far as if he moves on, don't forget the Bills have 4 former Offensive Coordinators still under contract, Rob Boras, Joe Brady, Mike Shula and Aaron Kromer.

Carolina doesn't seem to think so

1 hour ago, BillsDiehard said:

I got no issue with him interviewing but why can't they do this until after the super bowl!? It's a distraction! We saw it last season with Dabol. 

33 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

So both of our coordinators are going to be doing the gauntlet of HC interviews right in the middle of a playoff run. Great. Not like they have anything else more important to focus on

This is what happens when your team is consistently good. Happened to the Pats for years, Green Bay, Rams, Tampa, KC….this is nothing new 

7 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

If Dorsey leaves, Brady probably steps in and another will come up in the pipeline behind him. I'd be surprised if they brought in an outsider.

Depends what the Josh - Joe relationship is like. Purely from the interactions (or lack thereof sometimes) we have seen on TV this year I dunno I am a little sceptical about that relationship. I might be totally off because we only see the odd snapshot that the tv shows. Maybe guys who go to the games will tell me he and Josh are always talking, looking at the ipads together etc on the sideline... but there have been multiple camera shots where Josh is sitting on the bench looking at the ipad and Brady is stood next to him just staring straight ahead. 

If Josh and Joe are tight and Josh wants him then he is the next guy should Dorsey get hired. If not, then I wonder if this is the juncture at which they might go outside. No obvious internal candidate that your QB is lobbying for, having had some growing pains moments this year with a first time playcaller (I maintain overall Dorsey has done a decent job) Superbowl chasing team... maybe they think an experienced playcaller might be the way to go. Especially if someone like Frank Reich is interested. 

What they have to get used to is when you have Josh Allen your OCs are gonna get HC looks. Especially when you have highly respected guys like Daboll who had worked with Bill and Nick and then Dorsey who played QB in the league.... Joe Brady or Frank Reich (the hotshot youngster, or the respected older former HC) would both be the same. If Dorsey left and either of them got the job and the Bills had another top 3 offense next year either of those guys would be on HC search lists. 

I could see them hiring Dorsey and trying to keep Wilks on as the DC. I think Dorsey can succeed, but he will have to surround himself with some very experienced coaches and give up play calling duties. I think it is more lilley Tepper throws a ton of money at a Harbaugh or a Sean Payton. 

8 hours ago, BillsSbSoon said:

Dan morgan is why

yep, sure why not interview him?     

why interview him: 

... let me think, QB coach and OC of a top 3 NFL offense.....was QB coach on our SB team under Riviera so is familiar with organization.....Dan Morgan (who walks on water in Charlotte)  vouches for him.  .... yeah I think I'll talk to that guy

Makes perfect sense to me.   In fact he may be a better organizer than the typical play-caller-only OC, who knows?.   Which may make him a better HC than a guy who is just an Xs and Os guy.    eg. You don't make your best sales guy your VP of Sales.  Skill sets are completely different.  

Just some thoughts. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.