Can we take a moment and appreciate the front office

Virgil

2 minutes ago, Baba Booey said:

Time to change it dude is all he is asking. It’s a terrible system. Relax!!! He’s right by the way. 

I do need to relax, but people have complained about this every single day for the past 2 years, it gets tiresome to read. It is unfixable UNLESS you start to make things ACTUALLY random and arbitrary, which is what people don't want because they think it's what causes quirks like going to one place 3 years in a row. 

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

@T master is that you?

Do you really think the front office hasn't gotten its due time and again for the past few years?

I can see the coaching staff getting added props for this year in particular..........Daboll was "bad year Sam Wyche" for stretches of last season(and good year Sam Wyche for the Giants this season) and that put them on the road in the divisional round.

I think McDermott and Dorsey did a better combined coaching job this season...........working together thru a more difficult schedule and getting more out of lesser/diminished talent in the receiving corps.

But I didn't love the draft.........the free agent decisions were too heavily toward the defense...............and worst of all I think their approach took a great physical toll on Josh Allen this season.    Two straight years of Josh Allen having to play both QB1 and RB1 to win despite a massive investment in defense is an indictment of personnel decisions on that side of the ball.       

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Dick_Cheney said:

Russ Brandon let's fûcking gooooooooo!!!!

Oh damn sorry I just woke up from a 15 year coma. Wrong guy.

I'm sorry to break this to you sir, Ralph Wilson did not make it to 102 years old & has in fact passed away.

But congrats on recovery from the coma! At least you missed the Rex Ryan years! 😉

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Do you really think the front office hasn't gotten its due time and again for the past few years?

I can see the coaching staff getting added props for this year in particular..........Daboll was "bad year Sam Wyche" for stretches of last season(and good year Sam Wyche for the Giants this season) and that put them on the road in the divisional round.

I think McDermott and Dorsey did a better combined coaching job this season...........working together thru a more difficult schedule and getting more out of lesser/diminished talent in the receiving corps.

But I didn't love the draft.........the free agent decisions were too heavily toward the defense...............and worst of all I think their approach took a great physical toll on Josh Allen this season.    Two straight years of Josh Allen having to play both QB1 and RB1 to win despite a massive investment in defense is an indictment of personnel decisions on that side of the ball.       

Oh I agree completely.  This front office has been generating media likes for years but has yet to find a SINGLE free agent value signing.  Mike Brown’s accountant’s nephew or whomever is running the Bengals’ skeletal pro personnel department is running laps around them.  Cook has had a few nice games to close the season but beyond that they got close to zero production out of the 2022 draft which is a bad sign with Allen’s monster cap hit looming.  This front office needs to start cashing the checks its been writing for the past four years.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Joe Ferguson said:

I'll be appreciative when we win the Super Bowl.

Lets just get this guy his super bowl t-shirt so he can wear it next time he's out trying to find out what happened to the Two Guys store on Walden Avenue.   that ought to be enough.  just tell him they won the SB a couple years ago.  

14 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

I am grateful. 😉

Thanks Virgil !

Agreed, so grateful.  This is all I ever wanted was an opportunity to compete annually and have the organization built from the top down.  Let's not forget the Pegula's and how they led building this including improving the facilities, training staff, hired this excellent front office and coaching staff, gave them the tools to succeed including the money for players, coaches, scouts, and very deep management staffs!

Well said Virgil and great post!

The draft used to be our Super Bowl and nothing less than hope and a prayer.  Free agency was retreads being over paid IF we got them, coaches would not come here.

We can finally have and enjoy nice things!  Enjoy the ride, go Bills and let's bring the trophy home this year!  If we don't we are still winning and will fight on my men and rise to fight again!

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Airseven said:

Big picture, yes, the front office, the coach, the culture, are upper echelon in the league and a galaxy removed from the drought years.

But now’s not the time to wax poetic. The team’s primary issues are OL and secondary right now. Beane got duped by a washed Saffold in his contract year and overpaid/promoted Bates who looks to be better suited for spot duty. He neglected OL in the draft to the point of reaching for special teams LB in the third round! Also, he traded up for Elam who became a healthy scratch in the back half of the season. 

This team has to get over the hump. They deserve credit for building to this point, but there’s no free rides henceforth.

Has the FO missed, sure.  They miss less than most.  Our draft picks make the team or get poached from the Practice Squad.

I personally would like less DL taken in the draft especially since they are rotational players.  And, most are projects on 4 year contracts that take 2 years to develop then we need to decide to pay them for rotating? 

I would like more high OL draft picks too.

17 hours ago, Virgil said:

I know there’s been a lot of ups and downs this season.  Seriously, lesser teams would have folded up shop by now.  It’s sucks to lose the one seed like we did.  It hurts wondering if Von and Hyde will cost us in the playoffs. 

But as I see Black Monday roll around, front offices reaching out to any potential future coaches, praying they can turn their losing team around, thinking about the draft and FA, already, it makes me so appreciative for what we have. 

5 years ago, our season would have started today.  We would have been wishing for the next HC, draft pick, quarterback would could save us.  

Today, I see all these articles about interviews and players retiring, etc, and I’m just thankful.  

I never, EVER, doubt what we have as being elite talent and support.   Is it SB worthy, maybe and maybe not.  But I know we are so far ahead of 90% of the league and have the right core to keep fighting.  

We have the best fan base in the league, best possible QB for this team, and setup for success for years to come.  

Go Bills

Amen to all of this, brother!  Perspective is everything. 

It is far easier to put a bunch of talented players together with no consideration for how they fit together as a team or into whatever culture you have or are trying to build than it is to sign players specifically to form an elite team of players...

Whaley was good at the former...

Beane is good at the latter.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

18 hours ago, Dick_Cheney said:

Russ Brandon let's fûcking gooooooooo!!!!

Oh damn sorry I just woke up from a 15 year coma. Wrong guy.

18 hours ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

Maybe, they could be saying something about this…

Bills Away: Patriots, Dolphins, Jets, Commanders, Chiefs, Chargers, Eagles, Bengals

Seriously? 3 years in a row @ Arrowhead?

And @ Cinci 2x?

WTF!!!

Apparently you just woke up from the same coma as Dick Cheney above!

16 hours ago, Baba Booey said:

Time to change it dude is all he is asking. It’s a terrible system. Relax!!! He’s right by the way. 

Why is it terrible when over a believe it's a 12 year period, every team plays almost every other team equal number of times home and away.  Granted the one thing that can't be controlled is the two games each year, one home and one away based on where you finished in the standings. 

You can rip the NFL office all you want, but one thing I'm certain of is they have had a whole room for of people analyzing all different concepts and this likely for a number of reasons most here have never thought of, this is the best idea.  If you spend 15 minutes thinking about it, yes may sound dumb, but if you spent 15 days looking at it, I'm sure there are many reason most never thought of.  Things like this, they do get right, it's more the human element they struggle with.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

It is far easier to put a bunch of talented players together with no consideration for how they fit together as a team or into whatever culture you have or are trying to build than it is to sign players specifically to form an elite team of players...

Whaley was good at the former...

Beane is good at the latter.

It's been debated ad nauseum but Whaley never got to pick a GM or a QB.  He made some fine trades and some nice other picks back in the day.  

Beane got the franchise QB with some very nice maneuvers and a bit of luck.  The real hard work begins when he must choose which players to extend and which to let walk.  

19 hours ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

Maybe, they could be saying something about this…

Bills Away: Patriots, Dolphins, Jets, Commanders, Chiefs, Chargers, Eagles, Bengals

Seriously? 3 years in a row @ Arrowhead?

And @ Cinci 2x?

WTF!!!

It’s going to be 3 in a row in buffalo after that…the afc east vs afc west division placement games have doubled up home teams in back to back years the last few rotations 

Whoever made the decision and did not waiver to select Allen is the person to thank.

And then after a few years to decide well maybe he needs a wide receiver who can catch the ball didn't hurt either.

I really don't like these threads. I'm happy with the front office, but really it all started with drafting Josh Allen and his development.

Edited by Billsfan1972

26 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

It's been debated ad nauseum but Whaley never got to pick a GM or a QB.  He made some fine trades and some nice other picks back in the day.  

Beane got the franchise QB with some very nice maneuvers and a bit of luck.  The real hard work begins when he must choose which players to extend and which to let walk.  

He also made desperate moves like trading up for Watkins.

It would be interesting to evaluate Beane against his peers around the league if you could remove the QB selection in 2018 from his resume.  Obviously that was by far his biggest call as a GM and he knocked that one way out of the part -- any GM would get an A grade just for that one pick alone considering how it altered this franchise's trajectory.  

Intuitively it feels like Beane has done an above-average job of managing the salary cap, bringing in appropriately-priced FAs, and working the draft.  It's just hard to judge since I don't pay much attention to the day-to-day workings of other GMs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Beane is awesome and I wouldn’t trade him for anyone.

I do hope he evolves a bit and in the future makes that mid season trade he always seems to *almost* make going forward.

McAffrey has lit a spark up SF’s butt and they look on fire. Even when he has low yardage games, it’s the defense having to load then box to stop him which opens the pass game. He changes the dynamic.

And I think we have a Lombardi Trophy if he made the trade for Von last year.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Brandon has had his misses in the draft see Boogie Basham and Cody Ford but damn if he isn’t one of the best evaluators of middle to late rounds picks. 
Great GM just hope he drafts a WR high next year. 

I get your post here is rather positive about Beane...but there is one thing in it that gets said a lot and I think it needs to stop.  People need to let go of these "misses"...go look at every GM in the league, the "miss" list accompanies all of their resumes.  If you compare Beanes resume to any GM in the league since he took over as our GM, you will be hard pressed to find anyone with as good of a draft record as Beane, if any.  He completely rebuilt every single roster spot on this team in short order and turned it into one of the most talented teams in the NFL, mostly built through the draft.  

There has never been a GM in NFL history who didn't have misses.  Bill Walsh is consider the GOAT by many, yet he said JJ Stokes was the next Jerry Rice and Jim Drunkenmiller could be the next Montana.  

Back to good things about Beane...I would also add he is one of the best in the league, if not the best, in getting value in trades, retaining talent on balanced deals, managing the cap to keep they guys they want or acquiring ones via trade/FA.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.