Chargers - Mike Williams and Joey Bosa hurt in meaningless game

Big Blitz

The Chargers could have hired Daboll, instead Staley somehow convinced them he would be a good head coach.  In my opinion this guy is currently THE worst coach in the league.  I don't think his players trust him either.

He has proven to be a weak game coach, and is tied for Belichick for the low energy award.

Think about this guys roster, he has an elite QB, Ekeler is a top 5 RB, very good receivers and tons of talent on defense including Derwin, Bosa etc.   If they hired Daboll, who wanted the job, they'd be right in there at the top of the power rankings.

Not surprised this clown threw the oft injured Bosa AND Williams in a meaningless game despite both these guys needing rest badly battling injuries all year.   Just brutal judgement again by Stale Nuts.

On 1/9/2023 at 11:00 PM, Da webster guy said:

The Chargers could have hired Daboll, instead Staley somehow convinced them he would be a good head coach.  In my opinion this guy is currently THE worst coach in the league.  I don't think his players trust him either.

He has proven to be a weak game coach, and is tied for Belichick for the low energy award.

Think about this guys roster, he has an elite QB, Ekeler is a top 5 RB, very good receivers and tons of talent on defense including Derwin, Bosa etc.   If they hired Daboll, who wanted the job, they'd be right in there at the top of the power rankings.

Not surprised this clown threw the oft injured Bosa AND Williams in a meaningless game despite both these guys needing rest badly battling injuries all year.   Just brutal judgement again by Stale Nuts.

Everyone is chasing that Sean McVay dragon. I mean, Zach Taylor's highest position in the NFL before landing the HC job in Cincinnati was QB Coach of the Rams. At least Staley had been a coordinator in the league.

4 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

The guy is made of glass.  Putting him out there in week 18 for a meaningless game has to be one of the dumbest decisions of all time.  You absolutely needed his playmaking ability if you were going to make a run in the postseason.  Staley is an idiot.  Any other organization in the NFL would can his @zz, but luckily for him, he has a cheapskate owner who is about 3x as dumb as he is.  Never forget that Spanos fired a 14-2 Schottenheimer and replaced him with Norv freakin Turner. 

• Like (+1) 5

19 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

The guy is made of glass.  Putting him out there in week 18 for a meaningless game has to be one of the dumbest decisions of all time.  You absolutely needed his playmaking ability if you were going to make a run in the postseason.  Staley is an idiot.  Any other organization in the NFL would can his @zz, but luckily for him, he has a cheapskate owner who is about 3x as dumb as he is.  Never forget that Spanos fired a 14-2 Schottenheimer and replaced him with Norv freakin Turner. 

To be fair, they fired Schottenheimer because they kept choking in the post season each year.  He came into that 14 win season on the hot seat and then they got bounced early again.  

5 minutes ago, Process said:

Wow

I mean, unless they win the SB, I don’t know how he keeps his job after this self sabotage.  What a fool.

Edited by Alphadawg7

21 minutes ago, Process said:

Staley is an absolute moron.

To be fair, McDermott also plays starters in meaningless games, which I strongly disagree with. So Staley is not the only one. Allen was out there slinging it for an entire half vs Miami a couple years ago. 

That wasn't meaningless, though. Bills needed to win that game to guarantee the #2 seed and the divisional round home game.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

No idea which team to root for Saturday if they had to go play KC - I had Chargers at full health as able to do it.  

Without Williams Herbert has looked meh all year long.  

I’m going to end up rooting for the Jags anyway.  

Sucks as I thought the Chargers @ full-strength had a better chance against the Chiefs.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Wraith said:

That wasn't meaningless, though. Bills needed to win that game to guarantee the #2 seed and the divisional round home game.

Yea you got me. Just looked again. Steelers could have got the two seed if they won and we lost I believe.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

To be fair, they fired Schottenheimer because they kept choking in the post season each year.  He came into that 14 win season on the hot seat and then they got bounced early again.  

Most ridiculously unlucky Marty playoff loss ever, and there are a lot of them. Marlon McCree had the game WON if he takes a knee after picking Brady with almost no time left, but he runs it back and fumbles it back to the Pats! 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Process said:

Yea you got me. Just looked again. Steelers could have got the two seed if they won and we lost I believe.

Yup, the Steelers ended up losing that last game so the Bills finished a full game ahead but the situation could've been reversed. The Steelers late season collapse that year was pretty incredible. They were 11-0 until losing to the Bills!

Edited by Wraith

16 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

No idea which team to root for Saturday if they had to go play KC - I had Chargers at full health as able to do it.  

Chargers have a better shot at beating the Chiefs I think.  They played them close both regular season games, didn’t they?

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Most ridiculously unlucky Marty playoff loss ever, and there are a lot of them. Marlon McRee had the game WON if he takes a knee after picking Brady with almost no time left, but he runs it backs and fumbles it back to the Pats!. 

after being told to JUST GO DOWN! when he gets the game winning INT pre-game by Marty! They showed that during the Football Life episode on Marty.

It's truly amazing how fine the line is between winning and losing in the playoffs. That DB drops to the ground with the ball and the game is over, SD moves on and who knows what happens once the evil empire is out of the way. 

Also, Brady threw TWO season-ending INT in the playoffs that were wiped out and gave him another shot.

This one in SD, wiped out by the DB fumbling (lost to the Colts the next week anyway in the AFC Title Game)

AFC Title game vs KC where Dee Ford lines up 2 inches Offside to wipe it out (won the SB)

Instead, because the DB fumbles, "Brady did it again!" and Marty's teams "cannot win the big games" and he gets fired. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I'd root for whichever team wins to look dominant, not some kind of fluky win.   If the winner matches up with KC, need them to be looking really good. 

There are almost always upsets in the playoffs, and I think the Jags could give the Chiefs trouble. 

The Chargers always feel like a loaded, dangerous team but underwhelm. 

People make fun of Mike Tomlin, who never saw a punt he didn't like, but the dude has been coaching for 146 years and never had a single losing season. Staley is one of these newer "smarter" coaches who think that doing everything the other way is automatically better or smarter. 

Staley literally cost his team a playoff berth last year when the Raiders were going to play for a tie but he forced their hand into trying the game winning FG. That was a fileable offense right there. 

This year he costs his team AGAIN by getting 2 star players, who are both made of glass, hurt by playing them in what amounted to a preseason game. 

Part of me wants him to stay there, because he is neutralizing the talent on that roster with his idiotic decisions. The other part of me just wants to see him make some coaching blunder that costs the Chargers a playoff win this weekend. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.