Thoughts on the pass defense?

Bermuda Triangle

2 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

I think that's fair to an extent. They have had some decent games here and there and games they struggled quite a bit. And Hamlin (God bless him) is pretty bad in coverage. Also if you recall Dane Jackson had a streak that was getting a little too long where he had a tough time too. But I agree with you when looking at the big picture, it's around that average I would think

Compared to the No Fly Zone we had for like 4 years tho it seems terrible, but stats say it's league average. They have allowed a lot of garbage yards too over the season as well.

12 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

Yup, Not having Hyde has definitely hurt quite a bit

It's better than I thought tho...overall Bills D is 6th in total yards, 5th in rushing yards, 15th in passing yards, 4th in QB rating against and they have moved all the way up to 7th on 3rd down defense. Obviously 2nd in scoring D.

To put it in perspective they only give up 14 yards a game more than the 7th rated pass D so it's not like they are far away from being top 10(5 yards from Houston at 10).

Edited by Big Turk

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Um, no. That's really not the question at all. One of many questions might be, does that stat from NFL LIve directly disagree with what Bill said. And the answer would be, "Um, no, of course they don't. Whoever tries to pretend they do is spinning like a centrifuge."

Specifically addressing NFL Live's stat that you quote, there are about six or seven relevant questions.

Question 1: The most basic question. Is it true that "Mac was 17-17 in their scoring drives." NO. That is false. Take another look at the play-by-play as I did. I've counted at least two INCs so far in those drives and I stopped there. So I guess that at least so far, I'd have to say that apparently NFL Live knows less than just about anybody about the stat they cited (or you misheard or misreported).

Question 2: Even assuming they did well in the air on four drives, does that mean they did well in the whole game? Um, that's self-evident. Of course the answer is no.

Question 3: How many drives did they have? Eleven.

Question 4:  If you did well in four drives out of eleven, does that mean you did well?  Um, duh.

Question 5:  Did they do well in the passing game when they managed 234 yards on 40 throws with 3 INTs?  Again, um, duh. Not awful. But certainly not good.

Question 6: Did NFL LIve actually say @the Bills are going nowhere with the Defense playing like this"? Hard to say. You quoted them on two things, and the other one is wrong, and you've got no link for this. Can you produce a link? It's hard to imagine why anyone would say that about a defense that has allowed 17.8 PPG in the last five games and is DVOA's fourth best defense.

The fact is they had four scoring drives, one of which started from the Bills nine yard-line. 23 points when you had one drive start nine yards away from the goal line just is not very impressive.

No 17-17 on the three TD drives.  You may want to count again.  On the FG he did have an int.

Please don't tell me the D played great vs. NE.  Was nice to see ints, but too many easy short passes completed and moving the ball.

9 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

No 17-17 on the three TD drives.  You may want to count again.  On the FG he did have an int.

Please don't tell me the D played great vs. NE.  Was nice to see ints, but too many easy short passes completed and moving the ball.

After 6 years of watching this defense surely you recognise that those are plays the Bills are willing to give up? Now they gave up some in the first half - including the second touchdown pass - that they are not happy to give up where the Patriots confused them with switch routes and the Bills ended up with two defenders following the same receiver and another guy wide open. They were a problem in the first half, there is no question about it and the defense didn't play well. It was the 3rd time all season they let a team score above their seasonal average and I think you can mark those down as bad days. 

But the short passes the Bills bait you into throwing. They want you to throw short. They want to make you go 9,10,11 plays downfield without a holding penalty, a TFL, a sack etc. And then they trust themselves to get you off the field. 

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

After 6 years of watching this defense surely you recognise that those are plays the Bills are willing to give up? Now they gave up some in the first half - including the second touchdown pass - that they are not happy to give up where the Patriots confused them with switch routes and the Bills ended up with two defenders following the same receiver and another guy wide open. They were a problem in the first half, there is no question about it and the defense didn't play well. It was the 3rd time all season they let a team score above their seasonal average and I think you can mark those down as bad days. 

But the short passes the Bills bait you into throwing. They want you to throw short. They want to make you go 9,10,11 plays downfield without a holding penalty, a TFL, a sack etc. And then they trust themselves to get you off the field. 

I won't disagree, but as a fan this is hard to watch at times and creates anxiety.  The Bills you are exactly right, seem to wait for the holding penalty, TFL or sack to save them. 

The point is after Miami (Tua or not), it's probably Burrow & Mahomes and that is scary (and more pressure on the Offence). 

Edited by Billsfan1972

16 hours ago, AlfaBill said:

I heard Tasker and Brown talking about it today. They mentioned that Hyde was in the studio last week and they asked him about that. He said drs are telling him no chance. 

I was listening to OBL again today and apparently Hyde snowed them all and practiced today. Maybe just maybe he’ll be available for a SB appearance

5 minutes ago, AlfaBill said:

I was listening to OBL again today and apparently Hyde snowed them all and practiced today. Maybe just maybe he’ll be available for a SB appearance

Once we see him in full practice, that's when we'll know he may be getting close.

16 hours ago, Kenosha2Buffalo said:

Definitely not confident in our pass defense, but oddly enough, I'm confident in our run defense which I've never experienced under this josh Allen regime. Past years teams could bully us up front and control the game via line of scrimmage.... That's not happening now, it might help cover up the pass weakness.

Frazier seems to lean toward one or the other as to what he will not allow.

Depending on the team that Sunday.
Our Secondary is surely tough to put into great situations with injuries to the secondary, and all around by this time of year.
 Ben dont break is fine with me, and keep an eye on the ball in the air. more hands up at line of scrimmage and consider passing lanes when rushing. Tip drills. lol

Offense can take us to the promised land. We have Josh freakin Allen

On 1/11/2023 at 5:25 AM, Charles Romes said:

The defensive backs are a liability and we are getting no pass rush. We are third worst in turnovers overall and worst in red zone turnovers. Gabe drops everything thrown to him. I’ll take the seven game winning streak to close the season but things need to improve. 

It's gonna be interesting to see how well Xavier Rhodes play for the Cowboys 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.