Thoughts on the pass defense?

Bermuda Triangle

Unfortunately, this is just the same Fraizer defense that we have been seeing since he got here.  Play a soft zone making sure you don't get beat over the top.  It makes for long, sustained drives but in the end, the screws tend to tighten a bit and the hope is to hold teams to 3 and not give up TDs. 

The thing is, it works fairly well against teams that don't have a good QB or weapons.  This is why over the course of a season, the stats look pretty good and we are always ranked high.  Where is becomes a major problem is when you go against better QBs and WRs that know how to get open and find the weak spots.  And where do you find these teams?  In the Playoffs, of course.  That is why it is so frustrating every year to go into the Playoffs against teams like the Chiefs knowing that no matter where the defense ranked during the season, that we know we will have to score 35+ to even have a chance because the defense can't get away with this soft coverage it played all season.  It's why 13 seconds happens.  It is infuriating and I expect nothing different this post season.

It also doesn't help to have the guy you brought into be your closer and try to shorten the time the QB has in the pocket go down, one of your stud safeties go out for the season at the very beginning of the year while the other one is being held together with duct tape at this point, and have your former top 3 CB still recovering from a devastating injury. 

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 8

They are beat to hell.    Dont have their stud pass rusher.   Starting SS is hurt, hobbled, and starting with a ton of heart.  Down to their 3rd FS.   And their starting cornerbacks are a guy fresh off an ACL injury and a rookie.  Its not rocket science.

If they want to get to the Super Bowl, the highly paid QB better score more points than the other teams' highly paid QBs.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

so what I’m getting at is they have the ability to shut down these QBs

I hope you’re right , but I’m not seeing it as of late. I can’t expect it’s going to materialize in the playoffs and we have a better chance of the offense finding a groove. 

22 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

Okay? What's so funny?

By most measurements, the Bills’ defense is top-5 in the NFL. You may not like it in your fantasy league, but it is.

We’re laughing at you and your band of fools who can’t seem to see the value of Leslie Fraser’s scheme. Even with a decimated secondary, loss of Von Miller and Jordan Phillips playing with only one arm, this team defense style is winning football.

39 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

I prefer shutting down the run, and hitting QBs. Yes you give up bigger plays, but you don’t give up time consuming drives and the QB takes hits as you send more than they can block. Make sure the QB hits the turf on every pass. The hits add up and the big plays given up don’t tax your defense.

In other words, we need Schwartz back

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

You’re right, the Bills have allowed the fewest yards AND points over the last 2 seasons completely by chance. Insane how spoiled some of y’all have already become after a just a whiff of success.

The perfect example of bend but don't break. Prevent 13 seconds from happening then talk to me

Our pass defense is missing Hyde and a healthy Poyer. Johnson makes a lot of plays but Jackson/Elam give up receptions. Face it, if we want to get past LA, Cinn, KC, we will need Josh to pull 30plus out of this offense and play sound Special Teams. Winning the turnover battle would be crucial. The home field and playoff experience should help, but I see these games being close.

The problem we have this season is it’s been bend then break. So we are exhausting our defense while not even holding teams to FGs. 

our best defense, over the last couple seasons, have been a great offense. Our offense doesn’t really get out to big leads anymore so opposing offenses can stay patient against our defense. I just don’t think we have the horses, nor the scheme to run an effective defense this year 

• Agree 2

I’d expect McD to be super duper extremely heavily involved in both the game plan and defensive play calling from here on out. If we put forth great defensive game plans and play, Frazier probably gets his second chance to be a HC. My spidey senses tell me that McD wants Eric Washington to take the d-coordinator helm next season. But he can’t can LF, of course. 

• Like (+1) 1

What was concerning today was how fast the Pats receivers found an opening. If we’re going to run 5 DBs out there the majority of the time and sink 7 back into coverage, it has to hold up and afford our DL a little more time to get home. Mac was getting the ball out on time and in rhythm, the pass rush never had a chance. Passes were complete to the sideline and over the middle; wherever Mac wanted to go with the ball there was little resistance, until late, when he started pressing. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

It ain't getting the job done. Too late now though most likely. Cinci was about to carve us up too so maybe it's better that game got cancelled. This team has some warts. I dont think this junk gets its done vs cinci or the chiefs.

Have to say those two offenses , esp kc , are really playing well and Reid with one less game to prep for , is seasoned, creative , and they look more diverse than they were when they had Hill.  Mahomes even stated he felt he was forcing things to Hill & Kelce esp in the Bengals game where they blew the lead last year.

They dominated the Raiders this week and that game was never in doubt. I know Beane hoped Miller was the answer and hitting Mahomes was how to get past them.  Reid still looks slightly ahead , as he diversified the o even more , and put  more weapons around Mahomes. They are so diverse, it’s not just about stopping mahomes now.  We won’t see this year with Miller hurt , but I hope we figure them out and Dorsey gets more speed and a dependable group of supportive receivers with Diggs, or we may not catch up to kc.  We beat them early the past two years , but as the year goes on that KC O evolves.  

Time will tell , but it looks like you will have to outproduce them on offense to get beyond them. They appear to have options if you try rushing Mahomes more. Their run game is impressive with their diverse backs. We have a D really compromised with injuries so it’s hard to judge this year, but the Raiders rush never seemed to matter. Reid is just a really creative coach with a qb who can execute just about anything.  May have to win shootouts later in the year to get past them; it was the raiders tho so will see how we do. Going to be a real challenge. 

Our defense is banged up. We're missing key starters, and even key backups.

Couple that with it already being a very soft scheme that allows pretty much any underneath play you want to run, and here we are.

25 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

The problem we have this season is it’s been bend then break. So we are exhausting our defense while not even holding teams to FGs. 

our best defense, over the last couple seasons, have been a great offense. Our offense doesn’t really get out to big leads anymore so opposing offenses can stay patient against our defense. I just don’t think we have the horses, nor the scheme to run an effective defense this year 

Dorsey learning on the job this year hasnt been doing our defense any favors, that's for sure.

• Agree 1

I seriously can’t believe people are blaming Frazier. He deserves a medal. 

How can any defense survive:

1) Loss of best pass rusher

2) Loss of star safety and his backup

3) All-pro safety playing on a torn-up knee and busted elbow

4) CB1 off an ACL playing at like 60%.

The DBs can’t cover because they are either injured or third stringers, and the dline can’t regularly generate pressure anymore with just 4. 

We are going to have absolutely be a bend don’t break, and just hope that the defense holds up in the redzone and then get a few TOs. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Solomon Grundy said:

You are so right. Epenesa/Basham are truly JAGs. Epenesa is a one trick pony. I've never seen him turn speed into power. No pass rush moves whatsoever. Rousseau was a beast this afternoon. Hopefully Shaq has another game like he had against Dolphins in Buffalo

Looks to be the case.  AJ flashes and makes a play occasionally but he’s a jag.  Basham might be less that and jag.  Street free agents can do what Basham does. Looks like 2 wastes of 2nd rd picks

On a positive note, this years 2nd rd pick looks like he could be a difference maker in the playoffs. He might never be a top 5 back due to him being better suited as a committee RB, but he can bust the game open.  

I hope to see him more involved kn the pass game starting this week

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

The lack of pressure that we used to be getting with Miller is starting to expose our beat up secondary.  Since we play primarily zone, getting consistent pressure is really important to throw the timing of the QB off.  As decent as Rousseau has been, the other side is just filled with JAGs now.

Disagree that Von's absence has some sort of major impact on the pass rush

He almost always lines up way outside on the D left side, and goes one-on-one against the right tackle...who man handles him nicely out of the way at which point Von quits on the play.  He does this many times per game...for the limited plays that he is actually on the field (he misses LOTS of plays).  Then he'll get a pressure or maybe a sack once and everyone says "Wow, Von Miller!  What an impact on the game!"

He then goes back to obscurity.

He's not like Bruce Smith routinely drawing double teams and making all the other D-llnemen better because of him.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.