Thoughts on the pass defense?

Bermuda Triangle

Just now, Big Blitz said:

In defense of the pass rush, I’m going to argue that oline we saw today was one of the 3 best we’ve seen all year.  

Did Andrews play against us the first game?

And they were playing for Slater, who I think is retiring.  

The Dolphins oline with Armstead is decent.  Without him it’s below average.  

The Bengals lost Kappa today - meaning the right side of their oline is out.

As has been the case with this D for years, good olines are our kryptonite.  I don’t think we’ll see one as good as today’s in the playoffs.  The Chiefs is the best - but they aren’t beating the Chargers.  

A well solid rational post. Best on here so far.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm the least confident in this defense since McDermott's been here.  Losing Miller really hurts.  Last year we at least had Hughes and Addison who were better when it came to purely rushing the passer.  Hyde is out.  His backup (Hamlin) is out.  Poyer is playing like a warrior but he's fighting nagging injuries.  White isn't the same since the ACL tear.  Jackson and Elam are below average corners right now.  The interior D-line needs to step it up or Allen is going to have to win in shootouts.

As bad as our secondary playing today, Trey actually gave me hope about returning to his former form. He was actually good today.

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

His bend but don't break approach is what pisses me off. 49ers put out a blueprint on how to shut the Dolphins offense down and he refuses to use it

Yes they did, but the Niners are an elite defense. But the Chargers also used the same scheme the following week and shut down Miami's timing with mostly backups in the secondary. Don't understand why Frazier and McD are so stubbornly in love with their Nickel D. You have to chuck these burners and disrupt Tua's timing on these routes. Plus they also run the ball pretty well against our front as well. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

People already talking about drafting defense high again next year…You got the franchise of your team throwing to street free agents…How much more defensive talent does Leslie and Sean need to slow down an offense? 

Im starting to believe this is more scheme and being in a base nickel approach all the freaking time then the talent on the field.
Also Elam looks like a bust and whoever evaluated him as the bills last 1st round grade when George Pickens is staring at you should be fired. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

It’s not very good. I hope they can scheme up something better , but they may not have the horses. They may not be able to do much better , so we might have to adjust our expectations to winning shootouts. 

I just don’t wanna base today’s game on with the defense is going to look like in the playoffs I really don’t think that’s fair to them

It’s been a tough week

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Chaos said:

There is not much evidence any 2022 NFL defense consistenly shuts down the top offenses.  Against the Chiefs, the Bills will have to win the track meet. 

To heck with the Chiefs. Bengals are the real team to beat IMO. I’m way more confident in a match up against the Chiefs than I am the Bengals.

• Agree 3

18 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

It ain't getting the job done. Too late now though most likely. Cinci was about to carve us up too so maybe it's better that game got cancelled. This team has some warts. I dont think this junk gets its done vs cinci or the chiefs.

Actually it is getting the job done. 7 wins in a row, 13-3 record, 2nd best point differential in the league, #2 seed.  Could it be better? Of course. But to claim that it “ain’t getting the job done” is simply not correct. 

18 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:
Edited by HereComesTheReignAgain
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

As bad as our secondary playing today, Trey actually gave me hope about returning to his former form. He was actually good today.

Nowhere near top form but he's still the best we have. He's lucky he wasn't flagged for pushing off on his INT plus he was roasted on that deep shot that bounced off the receivers helmet.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, SUNTANBILLS FAN said:

Fraizer sucks been saying it for 3 years 

You’re right, the Bills have allowed the fewest yards AND points over the last 2 seasons completely by chance. Insane how spoiled some of y’all have already become after a just a whiff of success.

• Like (+1) 6

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

I just don’t wanna base today’s game on with the defense is going to look like in the playoffs I really don’t think that’s fair to them

It’s been a tough week

It has for sure. Im

just not certain it’s looked much different since before Thanksgiving 

• Agree 2

Just now, gobills404 said:

You’re right, the Bills have allowed the fewest yards AND points over the last 2 seasons completely by chance. Insane how spoiled some of y’all have already become after a just a whiff of success.

It’s like some fans don’t watch other teams, play and get all up in their feelings about our team

I mean it happens I wasn’t happy with today’s defensive effort either even with the interceptions but if you sit back and look at it, you realize that other teams in the NFL also have bad games to

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.