Thoughts on the pass defense?

Bermuda Triangle

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Today it was unacceptable

But I don’t know if that’s a lack of talent so much as it is just the team being mentally spent this week

I said it earlier, it looked to me like they came out, super hyped, and then leveled off and went flat

Mac Jones is not as good as he looked today

Here's the thing- by FAR the best game the Dolphins had offensively during their losing streak (you can even include today), was against the Bills.  Brissett looked really good against the Bills too.  

• Agree 1

Just now, Bferra13 said:

Okay? What's so funny?

You’re hilarious you’re like admitting defeat before you even play the game

Neither the Bengals nor Kansas City have looked unbeatable this year. Neither one of them we have beaten one of them and we were in a 7 to 3 game last week before it was stopped have some faith in your team man

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

Not an excuse. He was found gold in the off-season that wasn't expected. Frazier been here for God knows how long and his bend but don't break is very blah.

Where did I say that it was excusable?  I was simply giving an opinion on why we're seeing what we are seeing.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

The lack of pressure that we used to be getting with Miller is starting to expose our beat up secondary.  Since we play primarily zone, getting consistent pressure is really important to throw the timing of the QB off.  As decent as Rousseau has been, the other side is just filled with JAGs now.

You are so right. Epenesa/Basham are truly JAGs. Epenesa is a one trick pony. I've never seen him turn speed into power. No pass rush moves whatsoever. Rousseau was a beast this afternoon. Hopefully Shaq has another game like he had against Dolphins in Buffalo

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Here's the thing- by FAR the best game the Dolphins had offensively during their losing streak (you can even include today), was against the Bills.  Brissett looked really good against the Bills too.  

Agree we used to eat bad QB’s for breakfast this year we made even Zack Wilson look good 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

Just now, John from Riverside said:

You’re hilarious you’re like admitting defeat before you even play the game

Neither the Bengals nor Kansas City have looked unbeatable this year. Neither one of them we have beaten one of them and we were in a 7 to 3 game last week before it was stopped have some faith in your team man

I'm not admitting defeat. Agreed the other teams look like garbage at times too. I'm just saying teams are gashing this secondary and the offense ain't exactly firing on all cylinders to overcome it like the chiefs.

Multiple receivers are wide open on every play, and our DBs are almost always behind in coverage, it's like we're playing a perpetual prevent defense. It's becoming a rarity when a pass falls incomplete.

On the play Elam allowed the TD to Parker, he was up in tight coverage, then let him run by untouched. I know our CBs usually play off WRs, but why are we ever playing tight, if we aren't going to bump WRs? The long catch Jamar Chase had on Tre was the same thing.

This season, we've made turds like Mac Jones, Mike White, Zach Wilson, Kenny Pickett, & Jacoby Brissett look like All Pro QBs.

Edited by 947

1 minute ago, Solomon Grundy said:

You are so right. Epenesa/Basham are truly JAGs. Epenesa is a one trick pony. I've never seen him turn speed into power. No pass rush moves whatsoever. Rousseau was a beast this afternoon. Hopefully Shaq has another game like he had against Dolphins in Buffalo

They are roster-worthy NFL players, but they're depth guys.  Nobody has popped in the way you'd hope they would.  Shaq is probably the most reliable of the bunch.

I'm the least confident in this defense since McDermott's been here.  Losing Miller really hurts.  Last year we at least had Hughes and Addison who were better when it came to purely rushing the passer.  Hyde is out.  His backup (Hamlin) is out.  Poyer is playing like a warrior but he's fighting nagging injuries.  White isn't the same since the ACL tear.  Jackson and Elam are below average corners right now.  The interior D-line needs to step it up or Allen is going to have to win in shootouts.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

The lack of pressure that we used to be getting with Miller is starting to expose our beat up secondary.  Since we play primarily zone, getting consistent pressure is really important to throw the timing of the QB off.  As decent as Rousseau has been, the other side is just filled with JAGs now.

I think injuries on the interior of our d mine is starting to catch up with us a little bit

dc has to adjust

Just now, Doc Brown said:

I'm the least confident in this defense since McDermott's been here.  Losing Miller really hurts.  Last year we at least had Hughes and Addison who were better when it came to purely rushing the passer.  Hyde is out.  His backup (Hamlin) is out.  Poyer is playing like a warrior but he's fighting nagging injuries.  White isn't the same since the ACL tear.  Jackson and Elam are below average corners right now.  The interior D-line needs to step it up or Allen is going to have to win in shootouts.

White did make some plays today otherwise you're thinking 10 or less grocery line check out lol hahaha 

In defense of the pass rush, I’m going to argue that oline we saw today was one of the 3 best we’ve seen all year.  

Did Andrews play against us the first game?

And they were playing for Slater, who I think is retiring.  

The Dolphins oline with Armstead is decent.  Without him it’s below average.  

The Bengals lost Kappa today - meaning the right side of their oline is out.

As has been the case with this D for years, good olines are our kryptonite.  I don’t think we’ll see one as good as today’s in the playoffs.  The Chiefs is the best - but they aren’t beating the Chargers. 

Edited by Big Blitz

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.