Don't look now, but Bills rounding into playoff shape.

ChicagoRic

On 1/9/2023 at 10:08 AM, RiotAct said:

our pass rush did NOT look great overall today.  Yeah they got home a few times, but Macaroni had a ton of time back there way too often.

This is the worry for me.

The rest of the team is really working. And when Von was healthly you just had the sense that they'd get a sack just when they needed it. This year their QB pressure is good at times but able to be handled often.

I worry when they face Mahomes.

18 hours ago, Joe Ferguson said:

Frazier and his defense are the reason Bills might get eliminated. I expect opposing teams carving this defense like hot knife thru butter and scoring on every drive. Josh Allen and his offense better score tons and tons of points just to keep up.

Bad take on the defense. Particularly for all the injuries, they've played really really well. The one worry is that they haven't adequately replaced Miller's sacks when they needed them.

But we're 4th in defensive DVOA. This is a very good defense.

Edited by Thurman#1

15 hours ago, Toyo321 said:

We will see because we are on a collision course with them after the second round of wildcard games.  KC is going to get the winner of the Jags Chargers game.  We are going to get Cincinnati.  But if you take those two TD's away from the return game yesterday, NE wins that game.  Buffalo is not the same team it was last year and unfortunately not for the better either.

They pretty much are the same, as McNasty pointed out above.

Except more wins against a much harder schedule despite far more injuries.

They pretty much are the same, as McNasty pointed out above.

Except more wins against a much harder schedule despite far more injuries.

15 hours ago, Toyo321 said:

There is a difference the BEARS ARE NOT CINCINNATI !!   We will see in the 2nd round of playoffs.  It's almost certain we get to play Cinci in round 2.

I hope Frazier pulls off some Vudu magic because we are going to need it. 

Beside the point.

You said we lost the first five minutes, and therefore, "There is no way we would have pulled that game out." You actually said that. Which was pure dumbosity, and he was right to point it out. The first five minutes of a game doesn't mean much unless after that first five minutes you're down 21 or something. We weren't.

Sure, the Bengals tore our offense up early, but so did the Bears. So did a bunch of other teams right at the start.

We had every chance to win that Bengals game. No way to know for sure, but I thought we would.

You are right - no question - that if we play the Bengals in the playoffs, as it looks like we will, it shapes up as  a tough game. But we'll be the favorites, and for good reason.

Edited by Thurman#1

21 hours ago, BRH said:

The one where his arm was hit and he was tackled at the knees with no flag?

Interesting hill you've picked.

Agreed on the low hit. It seems the NFL has abandoned that as a penalty this season. Romo bit his lip as he was starting to say something about the low hit during the replay. I’m sure it will be called in the playoffs at a point where it’s advantageous to one of the NFL darlings.  

6 hours ago, BucketList said:

Agreed on the low hit. It seems the NFL has abandoned that as a penalty this season. Romo bit his lip as he was starting to say something about the low hit during the replay. I’m sure it will be called in the playoffs at a point where it’s advantageous to one of the NFL darlings.  

Josh Allen is one of the NFL darlings.

I think they're trending in the right direction, but they aren't quite there yet.  Josh is still making some big mistakes, and the defense is not as dominant as they were at times early in the season.  A big part of that is the absence of Hyde and Miller.  I think Buffalo will get past Miami.  Then they will have a huge challenge as the likely face Cincinnati in round two.  Cincinnati had their way early on in the aborted game.  McDermott and Frazier will have their hands full trying to stop them in the rematch.

On 1/8/2023 at 7:46 PM, ChicagoRic said:

The Allen/Diggs connection is back.  Elbow looks good

Dawson Knox has come on strong over the last several games.

Singletary and Cook have established a non-Josh running game.

The pass rush is generating pressure without Miller.

Milano and Emunds are playing lights out.

Hamlin is gonna be ok!!!  And the secondary is too.  Benford off IR and White with and INT.

Special teams? Hines just struck fear into the hearts of the opposition moving forward. 

Bring on Miami! 

I would like to put an exception to the bolded. With Von, the front 4 is needing to bring an extra guy to get there.

Now for the addition to this.

White is NOT up to NFL speed yet. Dare i say it is not because of the ankle but how long he had to be away from the game. I expect him to get there soon though.

Now to the naysayers

"But we beat NE much easier Last year"

Just stop, Defenses adjust to schemes. our Scheme got caught up on along with a rookie OC (Again, This process takes time) We are playing like a more complete team this year. We do not need to win by 30-40 points because our offense has learned clock management.

We gunned it when Brown started playing more Second half last game. Dare I say Josh needed brown to get his range back. When he threw that deep ball to Brown, JA confidence came back and nailed the next deep to Diggs. Our progression with the deep passes, run game and Special teams has vastly improved just over the last 3 games.

Last thought because I would love to go on, but no one wishes to read a book. I will take a team that can win in all phases over a team that can only win with one way.. 100% JA pass and rush.

... Drops the mic

On 1/8/2023 at 4:46 PM, ChicagoRic said:

The Allen/Diggs connection is back.  Elbow looks good

Dawson Knox has come on strong over the last several games.

Singletary and Cook have established a non-Josh running game.

The pass rush is generating pressure without Miller.

Milano and Emunds are playing lights out.

Hamlin is gonna be ok!!!  And the secondary is too.  Benford off IR and White with and INT.

Special teams? Hines just struck fear into the hearts of the opposition moving forward. 

Bring on Miami! 

All this is great...but if I am being unbiased and honest of looking at the team we saw in the playoffs last year and this team heading into the playoffs this year...I see 2 areas of concern:

1. Dorsey - His offense is lacking.  He is not helping Josh at all because he doesn't scheme guys open.  Go watch a Chiefs game, and look at all the creativity they use to SCHEME guys open.  
    1. Dorsey's offense 100% relies on guys winning their routes, and the big issue is they are not doing it often enough.  Most of our passing production comes off Josh extending plays and guys breaking off their routes and finding a place to get the ball.  Dorseys lack of adjustments have been very concerning as well.  
    2. This is why the offense can look so stale and pedestrian and yet still have enough explosive plays because of Josh to put up a good amount of points.  Josh is just that talented, but Dorsey's offense is hard to instill confidence in, not to mention, he is an atrocious play caller in the red zone.  
  2. Gabriel Davis - I have great concern for him right now, and I think if we are going to get to the SB we are going to need other guys to step up like Brown, Knox, running backs, etc because Davis is playing with no confidence right now.  He looks dejected out there and he doesn't have any of the swagger we have seen before him.
    1. The routine throw to the sideline against the Pats he had so much space to easily get 2 feet in, that is a standard NFL play just about any WR is capable of making.  But not only did he not do that, he didn't even get one foot in bounds.  He just has no focus or awareness right now.  Then he dropped what should have been a sure TD pass and even made it more difficult than it needed to be.  What concerned me the most was just how distraught and dejected he looked right after he dropped it.  

This team 100% can reach the SB and win it...but at the same time, our secondary has been a liability, so I think its going to come down to whether or not our offense can play smart and efficient football.  If our offense finds a similar groove to last year, I don't think anyone can stop us.  If we get more of the same from the second half of the season out of the offense, then its going to come down can we eliminated the self inflicted wounds more in terms of dumb penalties and turnovers.  

• Eyeroll 1

On 1/9/2023 at 9:03 AM, SCBills said:

We consistently had whoever is opposite Rousseau looping to Canada, completely out of the play.  We need someone over there to step up.

Meanwhile, would be super cool if Ed Oliver can at least attempt to be a top 10 pick in the middle against good teams. 

the most frustrating thing about that was they just continued to do it..over and over..     Like.. maybe try something different because that obviously isnt working.   

• Agree 1

On 1/8/2023 at 4:52 PM, Mark92 said:

It's the defense for me.  Can they stop the 3rd & 8, 10, 15.  Get off the field.  The red zone d is pretty solid but damn.  

Agree. I don't like how the defense matches up against the Bengals, chiefs, or dolphins. These teams have fast playmakers. We just don't have the speed. The defense relies on scheme discipline.

On the other hand, I know they don't like how their defenses match up against Allen/Diggs. But outside of these two, we don't have much consistency on O.

5 minutes ago, somnus00 said:

Agree. I don't like how the defense matches up against the Bengals, chiefs, or dolphins. These teams have fast playmakers. We just don't have the speed. The defense relies on scheme discipline.

On the other hand, I know they don't like how their defenses match up against Allen/Diggs. But outside of these two, we don't have much consistency on O.

This is my concern as well, our D isn't going to match up well with any of those 3 teams we are likely going to face.  So, it is going to come down to whether or not we can eliminate the shooting of ourselves in the foot with the turnovers and bad penalties, can we run the ball, and can some of the other guys step up to help Diggs and Josh because Davis is not the same guy right now.  He is not playing with confidence right now and it's a concern.

• Agree 1

On 1/8/2023 at 6:00 PM, VaMilBill said:

Honestly, if we made a real concerted effort to get Cook 20 touches a game, I think our offense would be extremely balanced and effective. 

I know you all see it. He’s ripping off decent runs seemingly every play. And it looks like on the occasional play he is about to rip off a huge run. You can’t keep that on the sideline. We need him way more involved even if it’s to Motor’s expense

as rook making the transition to a more demanding a longer season- perhaps they are keeping him on a count until the playoffs?

How is he as a blocker?

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This is my concern as well, our D isn't going to match up well with any of those 3 teams we are likely going to face.  So, it is going to come down to whether or not we can eliminate the shooting of ourselves in the foot with the turnovers and bad penalties, can we run the ball, and can some of the other guys step up to help Diggs and Josh because Davis is not the same guy right now.  He is not playing with confidence right now and it's a concern.

We did fine against Miami and KC this year already.  Everyone assumes Cinci was going to score 40 on Monday night but the Bills' tendency on D has been to figure things out after the 1st quarter.  Somebody can find the stat but the Bills are markedly better on D in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters.

Miami is in for a beating this Sunday, behind the woodshed style.  Cinci will pose a challenge but we'll be at home and we'll make them be patient.

Davis absolutely needs to get it together.  He's in position to make plays and isn't trusting his hands; I'm betting he focuses and plays well.  I like that Shakir got in on Sunday and made a big play over the middle.  Smoke showed he has value.  Knox is stepping up.  The O will be fine.

On 1/10/2023 at 6:58 AM, Thurman#1 said:

You are right - no question - that if we play the Bengals in the playoffs, as it looks like we will, it shapes up as  a tough game. But we'll be the favorites, and for good reason.

The fear and realization is this.  We have played teams this year and made so many unforced mistakes, and had so many bad Int's,  9 turnovers in the red zone this year .  Josh is costing us possessions and points.  He did it again in the NE game.  Down in the red zone before half time .  He had a chance to get rid of that ball underneath immediately to Diggs or Cook,  and he held onto the ball way too long looking for the endzone again instead of the checkdown, he got hit and and threw a pick,  if he throws the ball immediately to Cook,  that play probably goes for ten yards to inside the 5 yard line with 20 seconds still on the clock and two time outs.

His reluctance to not take the underneath options and checkdowns is killing this team.  It has happened all this year.  In the playoffs you can't expect to do this and advance.  This type of play is not sustainable in playoff games.  You need to make the most of your opportunities and limit the bad mistakes and throws leading to red zone turnovers.

He has been over throwing receivers this year a lot, and also throwing behind them as well.  I can tell you Josh has done this more this year than last year.   While going back and rewatching these games over again you really see these problems.  He either has a timing issue this year,  or he is letting go of the ball to late when the receiver is making their cut or break to the sidelines. 

Josh truly has all the talent in the world, but he has made some really bad mistakes this year throwing the ball.  Luckily they have not cost him or this team more.  13-3 is still an huge accomplishment this year with our injuries on D.

The playoffs are all about survival,  costly red zone turnovers are going to eventually going to come back and bite you in the ass.

Edited by Toyo321

3 hours ago, Toyo321 said:

The fear and realization is this.  We have played teams this year and made so many unforced mistakes, and had so many bad Int's,  9 turnovers in the red zone this year .  Josh is costing us possessions and points.  He did it again in the NE game.  Down in the red zone before half time .  He had a chance to get rid of that ball underneath immediately to Diggs or Cook,  and he held onto the ball way too long looking for the endzone again instead of the checkdown, he got hit and and threw a pick,  if he throws the ball immediately to Cook,  that play probably goes for ten yards to inside the 5 yard line with 20 seconds still on the clock and two time outs.

His reluctance to not take the underneath options and checkdowns is killing this team.  It has happened all this year.  In the playoffs you can't expect to do this and advance.  This type of play is not sustainable in playoff games.  You need to make the most of your opportunities and limit the bad mistakes and throws leading to red zone turnovers.

He has been over throwing receivers this year a lot, and also throwing behind them as well.  I can tell you Josh has done this more this year than last year.   While going back and rewatching these games over again you really see these problems.  He either has a timing issue this year,  or he is letting go of the ball to late when the receiver is making their cut or break to the sidelines. 

Josh truly has all the talent in the world, but he has made some really bad mistakes this year throwing the ball.  Luckily they have not cost him or this team more.  13-3 is still an huge accomplishment this year with our injuries on D.

The playoffs are all about survival,  costly red zone turnovers are going to eventually going to come back and bite you in the ass.

Better bench him then.  Seriously dude, go back read what you just posted.  Clearly Josh Allen is a total train wreck. 

He's "killing this team"?  Seriously?

Bring on Case Keenum, because clearly "Bad Josh" ain't gettting it done.  13-3 blows.

Forget the fact the he has put up 35 TDs through the air and 8 more on the ground.

Forget the fact that he played through an injury.

Forget the fact that his stats are remarkably close to last year's, in one less game, plus the quarters he sat out early in the year when the games were iced.

I guess that I watch games and over the past 7 I have seen a team that despite problems and shortcomings (something that EVERY TEAM IN THE NFL HAS) keeps on finding ways to win games.  They have done it with offense, with defense, with special teams.  Through the air.  On the ground.  They have pulled their own asses out of the fire---and that's what I mean by rounding into playoff shape.   It's not always about numbers.  It's attitude.  It's the effort of a the team as a whole.  Every team makes unforced errors.  Every one.  What the Bills have shown me this year is that over the 2nd half of the season, they have not let that stop them.

• Thank you (+1) 2

On 1/8/2023 at 7:56 PM, AlfaBill said:

This. Last year they were money in the red zone. Even if the D was less than stellar the O could be counted on to score TDs on the red zone. This year when Josh drops back I hold my breath 

I know, this year we only averaged 28.4 ppg, not like last year when we averaged 28.4. Last year we did it in the redzone, this year when Josh has been healthy, we skip the redzone all together.

On 1/8/2023 at 7:56 PM, AlfaBill said:

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/10/2023 at 3:41 AM, Thurman#1 said:

This is the worry for me.

The rest of the team is really working. And when Von was healthly you just had the sense that they'd get a sack just when they needed it. This year their QB pressure is good at times but able to be handled often.

I worry when they face Mahomes.

Bad take on the defense. Particularly for all the injuries, they've played really really well. The one worry is that they haven't adequately replaced Miller's sacks when they needed them.

But we're 4th in defensive DVOA. This is a very good defense.

The thing that gives me hope as we appear to have found our running game again cook has really come on towards the end of the season, and deserves more carries

On 1/8/2023 at 7:49 PM, AlfaBill said:

I’d love to believe that but I don’t think so. Last year the bills crushed the pats in The final game. 
the bills this year are an enigma to me. They struggle on D with every team. The O looks pedestrian at times and then explodes. The games seem so close and yet the final score is 2 score wins. Hard to put my finger on it. The Bills last season had an overrated D but a super explosive O

We just beat a division rival who had everything to lose coached by Bill Belichick, you thought the Pats were just going to sit back and let us win? We put up 327 total yards, we did give up 341 yards but also had a sack and 3 INT's plus 2 special teams TD. It's crazy how some don't think this is an explosive offense, what makes you think that?

• Agree 1

On 1/10/2023 at 2:37 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

All this is great...but if I am being unbiased and honest of looking at the team we saw in the playoffs last year and this team heading into the playoffs this year...I see 2 areas of concern:

1. Dorsey - His offense is lacking.  He is not helping Josh at all because he doesn't scheme guys open.  Go watch a Chiefs game, and look at all the creativity they use to SCHEME guys open.  
    1. Dorsey's offense 100% relies on guys winning their routes, and the big issue is they are not doing it often enough.  Most of our passing production comes off Josh extending plays and guys breaking off their routes and finding a place to get the ball.  Dorseys lack of adjustments have been very concerning as well.  
    2. This is why the offense can look so stale and pedestrian and yet still have enough explosive plays because of Josh to put up a good amount of points.  Josh is just that talented, but Dorsey's offense is hard to instill confidence in, not to mention, he is an atrocious play caller in the red zone.  
  2. Gabriel Davis - I have great concern for him right now, and I think if we are going to get to the SB we are going to need other guys to step up like Brown, Knox, running backs, etc because Davis is playing with no confidence right now.  He looks dejected out there and he doesn't have any of the swagger we have seen before him.
    1. The routine throw to the sideline against the Pats he had so much space to easily get 2 feet in, that is a standard NFL play just about any WR is capable of making.  But not only did he not do that, he didn't even get one foot in bounds.  He just has no focus or awareness right now.  Then he dropped what should have been a sure TD pass and even made it more difficult than it needed to be.  What concerned me the most was just how distraught and dejected he looked right after he dropped it.  

This team 100% can reach the SB and win it...but at the same time, our secondary has been a liability, so I think its going to come down to whether or not our offense can play smart and efficient football.  If our offense finds a similar groove to last year, I don't think anyone can stop us.  If we get more of the same from the second half of the season out of the offense, then its going to come down can we eliminated the self inflicted wounds more in terms of dumb penalties and turnovers.  

What if I told you that a QB failed to hit a 56% completion percentage in 4 of his last 6 games last year, including a game where he had a 42.3% completion percentage, 0 tds  3 ints and an career low QB Rating of 17 in week 17. That same QB in 2 playoff games would go a combined 48/62 637 yds.,  9 tds,  0 ints and a QB Rating of 148.99(Best ever) & QBR north of 95.0.

All I'm saying is, it's not uncommon for experienced playoff teams to up their play once the postseason starts. I'm sorry but to me, Buffalo has almost seemed disinterested in games that weren't in primetime or for the divisional title down the stretch. Again, much like last year.

11 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

We just beat a division rival who had everything to lose coached by Bill Belichick, you thought the Pats were just going to sit back and let us win? We put up 327 total yards, we did give up 341 yards but also had a sack and 3 INT's plus 2 special teams TD. It's crazy how some don't think this is an explosive offense, what makes you think that?

He wasn't right anyways, we didn't beat the Pats last year in the final game. We struggled to beat a 4-13 Jets team in the final game. Guess no one should him that the week before that we were trailing Atlanta 15-14 late in the 3rd before scoring 2 tds to win 29-15. Atlanta was 7-10 last year. We weren't playing anywhere as good as we are now, but still played crazy good in the playoffs. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.