I just made my call to Directv to end our long term relationship

Xwnyer

I have been a subscriber since 1996 and just made the call to end service.   Today is end of my billing cycle and I wanted to wait until after the game to cancel just incase the little sliver of NC that was getting the Bills game really wasn't and i would need the app to watch.   I really enjoyed the service and loved them as a company until ATT purchased them.   As a volunteer I tested many a beta software releases, new hardware as well and found that to be a fun and interesting process.  Met alot of great programmers from Directv during this process.   I found it easy to synch the video of the game with my OTA radio feed on Sirius using the DVR pause button.  I no longer need them since I get spectrum cable for free with my new home as part of HOA fees and  NFLST moving off their platform.   I was amazed how little effort the CSR put into trying to retain me.  She just asked why I was disconnecting, told her and end of the call with statement I will be receiving an email on how to return the equipment.

Was a great run DTV.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Nextmanup said:

I'm curious as to why you would post this here.

because this is a football board and many of us use DTV to watch it.  But I guess this post doesn't seem to be similar to the annual call posts that we see each year.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Xwnyer said:

I have been a subscriber since 1996 and just made the call to end service.   Today is end of my billing cycle and I wanted to wait until after the game to cancel just incase the little sliver of NC that was getting the Bills game really wasn't and i would need the app to watch.   I really enjoyed the service and loved them as a company until ATT purchased them.   As a volunteer I tested many a beta software releases, new hardware as well and found that to be a fun and interesting process.  Met alot of great programmers from Directv during this process.   I found it easy to synch the video of the game with my OTA radio feed on Sirius using the DVR pause button.  I no longer need them since I get spectrum cable for free with my new home as part of HOA fees and  NFLST moving off their platform.   I was amazed how little effort the CSR put into trying to retain me.  She just asked why I was disconnecting, told her and end of the call with statement I will be receiving an email on how to return the equipment.

Was a great run DTV.

I am in the same boat. For all the bellyaching, getting Sunday ticket at a discount or free for many years really was a sweet perk that we won’t ever see again. I will probably call to cancel here soon too. Will be weird to take down that ugly dish! 

4 hours ago, chongli said:

Classy sign off by Andrew. Honestly will miss him, hope he is somehow involved in the next iteration of ST/Redzone. He’s a NFL network guy, so not sure how that would work.

That being said, will now need to research who my next tv source will be. Waiting to see if YouTube has a new subscriber deal including ST.   Verizon  had been all over my neighborhood placing new fiber runs, expect FIOS to finally be available.  Not sure what my next move is, just know I gotta get rid of DTV and reduce my bill.

• Like (+1) 1

I also have DTV. Had it since 2002. Only reason I got it was for the Sunday ticket. As a Bills fan living in NJ, I needed it otherwise I would be stuck with the Jets and Giants on the local channels. I think DTV is going to be in for a very bad year now that they don't have the football package.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/8/2023 at 5:33 PM, Xwnyer said:

Was a great run DTV.

Got it in 98 and did the same exact thing. Also cut the land line phone and DSL and got Verizon internet.

I’m saving $180 a month😍

Next year I may get the ticket , I may not and try finding streams. The NFL channel is the only thing I will miss .

On 1/9/2023 at 4:26 AM, davefan66 said:

Classy sign off by Andrew. Honestly will miss him, hope he is somehow involved in the next iteration of ST/Redzone. He’s a NFL network guy, so not sure how that would work.

That being said, will now need to research who my next tv source will be. Waiting to see if YouTube has a new subscriber deal including ST.   Verizon  had been all over my neighborhood placing new fiber runs, expect FIOS to finally be available.  Not sure what my next move is, just know I gotta get rid of DTV and reduce my bill.

Got the wireless internet router from Verizon on Saturday. Better that the DSL I had. With 2 iPhones ( preexisting) YouTube tv, the Disney bundle total cost $180 a month. 

11 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Got the wireless internet router from Verizon on Saturday. Better that the DSL I had. With 2 iPhones ( preexisting) YouTube tv, the Disney bundle total cost $180 a month. 

I do have Spectrum.  Just hope for another high speed option.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/8/2023 at 9:30 PM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I am in the same boat. For all the bellyaching, getting Sunday ticket at a discount or free for many years really was a sweet perk that we won’t ever see again. I will probably call to cancel here soon too. Will be weird to take down that ugly dish! 

When I cancelled years ago, I didn't realize that they don't come and take it down.  They just leave it, so I transformed my dish into an antennae.  It was so simple to just take the cap off, attach an antennae and the cables are already running into your rooms.  It's fantastic. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Made the breakup call yesterday after 23 years.  CR was pleasant and when asked why I wanted to leave DTV, I simply replied "price."  No real effort to retain me when I stated that YouTube TV would be about half the cost of my current DTV bill.  She then proceeded to explain the equipment return process (just take it to FedEx or UPS and they will box/send).  And that was that...about a five minute call total.

UPDATE: Nice guy from DTV "retention department" called the house last night and asked if there was anything he could do to change my mind.  Told him, nope, I've already disconnected and boxed the equipment and am ready to take it to FedEx.  I reiterated that "price" was the main factor in me quitting DTV after 23 years, understood and did not even try to counter YouTube TV's monthly fee.  Kinda felt sorry for the guy, actually...

Hard to think DTV will be around in five years, but I guess their niche subscriber base are those folks without the ability to get high speed internet, but even that population is shrinking.

Edited by Ned Flanders

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.