We're onto Miami(Miami's headed to Buffalo)...opening line BUF -10! Game at 1:05 PM SUN 1/15

Big Turk

50 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Love listening to Cosell's thoughts every week

Couple notes I took:

(not necessarily in sequence of the podcast)

Skyler Thompson

-struggling to process what he sees both before and after the snap

-worked the wrong side of the formation based on routes vs coverage

-unrefined as a progression reader

-Dolphins tried to run in-breaking timing routes with Hill and Waddle which were Tua's "bread and butter" and he didn't hit them

-pressure looks and late rotation in coverage seemed to give him problems

-some mobility

-will look to leave the pocket, and gain yards with his feet when play breaks down, have to be aware of that and keep him from running for 10 yds on 3rd and 8.

-a week of practice as the starter will surely change what he can do and help him play better, but ? how much

Dolphins offense

-played 12 and 21 personnel total of >50% of the snaps against the Jets

-use a lot of 21 even with Tua, McDaniel's background with 49ers who use 21 with Juszczyk >40% of snaps

-"don't think that will get them the mis-matches they want with the Bills vs other teams" because the Bills live in Nickel and an "over" front (meaning 3T DT is lined up to TE side)

-McDaniel is going to have to "manufacture" offense, so expect him to pull out all the stops like the flea-flicker to AJ Green AZ scored with vs. the 49ers

Bills defense

-had one of their worst games of run D against the Dolphins, allowed DTs to be "moved off their spots" and OL got to 2nd level and blocked Milano and Edmunds

-Bills really need to clean that up

-talk again about how Bills live in Nickle 99% of the time because Johnson-Edmunds-Milano allow them to be multiple in their looks and Johnson can play the run like a LB

Bills offense

-Brown asks if he thinks the Dolphins might play as the Patriots did to really limit Josh Allen running and keep him in the pocket

-Cosell never really answers this but points out that the Dolphins did use a spy on Allen.  Goes into a long discussion about how you can never predict when Josh will leave the pocket because Josh will leave the pocket for no particularly good reason and then make throws.  Says it comes down to a balance between precision and instinct.  Long discussion about Josh's interceptions and coaching him ensues.  It was interesting but listen for yourself.

Says the concern he sees for the Bills is if McDaniel manages to manufacture enough offense to get the Dolphins up by 10 points, the "feel" of the game changes and you start pressing (my word) instead of just "playing your game" (his words).  Tasker agrees and says "yeah, you start trying feel like you need to do things you wouldn't ordinarily do, you start trying to hit a grand slam with no men on base". 

----------------------

I thought the bit about the Bills run game was interesting, because my perception was that aside from Mostert's 67 yd run and 2-3 other 10-yd-ish runs, the Bills run D just wasn't that porous.  I had to go to NexGen charts to check my memory:

Capture.JPG

Obviously every play counts, but it's a bit of a different situation if a couple missed tackles allow a long run vs. if the team is really getting gashed over and over again for 8-10 yds a pop.  And don't get me wrong, they were uncharacteristically porous, but I think most of the longer runs were outside the tackles.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

45 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

With Miami having such key injuries, the Bills need to make this a convincing win.  

While it would be nice to win this game comfortably, and I hope we do, style points go out the window in the Playoffs.  It's about one thing now......WINNING.  Survive and advance by any means necessary.  Doesn't matter whether it's by 1 or 100.  JUST WIN.  GO BILLS!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

No they just need to win 

Technically, you're right, of course.  I'm just saying there will be a lot of doubts expressed both by fans and media pundits about the Bills' ability to beat a really tough opponent, like Cincinnati for instance, if they don't beat Miami convincingly.  Of course, they could use a little "rope-a-dope" in the Miami game.  That is, they might play a bit more of a bland game plan in hopes of catching their next opponent off guard, but I'm not sure how much value there is in that at this point in the process.   There is a whole season's worth of game tape for opposing defensive and offensive coordinators to analyze.

4 hours ago, eball said:

McNerd has signature moves?

Besides putting his QB at risk, I mean…

So the Tua thing is a disaster.

But I really think this is way more a league issue than a McDaniels issue. The entire concussion (and injury) protocol is basically “well a doctor said I could”  then going going and doing stuff our doctor would never allow. 

The entire system is flawed. McDaniels is just the biggest and best example at the moment. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

Given that none of the coaching staff and few if any players were on the last Dolphins team that played in the playoffs, that’s a pretty irrelevant stat. 

If it was that irrelevant, you would have ignored my post. I love you. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Wyobills89 said:

I do not believe wyoming is for the chiefs lol. I can see Cincinnati, even the jags and most Def the Bills. I live in montana now but went home last Aug, every place I ate had JA/wyo/bills gear. 

Yup, from WY myself, hour and half away from Laramie and everyone I know roots for 17 and have converted to Bill fans. The Broncos sucking don’t even matter much. 

Edited by WyoAZBillfan
  • Like (+1) 4

36 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

I don't care if the Bills win by 1 or 100 as long as they win.

That said, I see an absolutely epic beat down of the Dolphins coming this Sunday.

Skylar Thompson is at QB and their offensive line is in complete shambles.

This is gonna be so much fun to watch. 

True, but as I recall, we were saying the same thing about Zach Wilson and his offensive line right before our first meeting this year…

27 minutes ago, Rubes said:

True, but as I recall, we were saying the same thing about Zach Wilson and his offensive line right before our first meeting this year…

Sure, anything can happen on any given Sunday.

This given Sunday, I see a lot of variables coming together and can feel the energies of cosmos aligning.

It's all telling me the Bills are gonna crush the Dolphins.

• Like (+1) 2

https://www.miamidolphins.com/news/transcript-mike-mcdaniel-s-media-availability-january-13

I think they intend to start Skyler Thompson, but reading this am I the only one that thinks maybe after the first series, Bridgewater is gonna play?

(Do we know with certainty barring a setback or something unlikely that QB Skylar Thompson will in fact start on Sunday?) – "Skylar (Thompson) is going to start. Teddy's done a great job really just being a part of the team, getting himself closer and closer to being able to play the way that he knows he needs to play. Really doing whatever it takes so that we can have him available on Sunday. But yeah, Skylar will get the start."

Bridgewater is getting closer and closer to being able to play the way that he knows he needs to play......

(What can QB Teddy Bridgewater do and how much have you seen QB Skylar Thompson grow within this week in practice, another week getting reps?) – "What can't he do? (laughter) It's a different conversation what he's able to do today with an injury like that on a metacarpal. That's something that really time, he's been doing extensive rehab. Just yesterday I thought he was casting himself for Zoolander movie because he had his hand in wax with like a bubble around it, so he looked like he was the hand model. Anybody know that one? (laughter) But he's been working relentlessly and what he'll be able to do with extra time, even more rehab and then game day adrenaline, we're hoping it's good enough for him to be able to fully execute everything in the offense.

On game day, we're hoping it's good enough for him to be able to fully execute everything in the offense....

There seem to be conflicting reports as to whether Bridgewater's finger is broken or was dislocated?

But if Aaron Rodgers can play with a broken thumb.....

......I'm sure it's a "checkers" play the Bills coaches have considered.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.