We're onto Miami(Miami's headed to Buffalo)...opening line BUF -10! Game at 1:05 PM SUN 1/15

Big Turk

1 hour ago, Turbo44 said:

Probably means that some team tried to poach him from our PS so we had to elevate him to the 53

No - McKenzie came up with a Hamstring and was limited in practice.

This allows you to have an entire healthy WR room and sit McKenzie to get the hamstring healthy.

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

That's a possibility, but he was looking pretty lively in the video clilps that came out from practice - and again, Beane would not need to make this move until Saturday, when there are two more days of practice and three more days of treatment to look at

McK was not at practice today.

• Like (+1) 1

Not liking this news at all.  Tim Settle has been a sneaky good DLman.  A stout DL generating pressure up the middle is one reason for improved pass rush results this season, and now we're down 2 guys.

Also McKenzie from "limited" to potentially "DNP" is not a good sign.  McKenzie has historically had some good games for us against Miami

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Not liking this news at all.  Tim Settle has been a sneaky good DLman.  A stout DL generating pressure up the middle is one reason for improved pass rush results this season, and now we're down 2 guys.

Also McKenzie from "limited" to potentially "DNP" is not a good sign.  McKenzie has historically had some good games for us against Miami

What happened with McKenzie, went into practice yesterday healthy, got hurt in practice and landed into the limited category. 

Now today he is not practicing.

Bills were already playing a short rotation at DT with Phillips not close to 100%. 

6 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

What happened with McKenzie, went into practice yesterday healthy, got hurt in practice and landed into the limited category. 

Bills were already playing a short rotation at DT with Phillips not close to 100%. 

Mr. Bryant, come on down!!!

8 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

At least our 2 best defensive tackles are healthy, but I wonder how they handle the rotation if Settles is out. Phillips has not been productive as of late (injury).

11 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Per the reports - he tweaked a Hammy.

I would expect him out this week and hence the Beasley call up.

Gives them multiple people at Slot - although Shakir was already seeing a nice increase in workload.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Toledo Bill said:

At least our 2 best defensive tackles are healthy, but I wonder how they handle the rotation if Settles is out. Phillips has not been productive as of late (injury).

I wonder if we'll get reporting from Sal or others on if Settle was limping, or if they were checking knee/shoulder. 

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

Probably a lot more nuanced than run or pass to win. Although game plans featuring runs to manage the clock and keep an offense off the field are still viable.

I think the Rams were close to leading the league in play-action % and runs when they had Goff, but Goff is a QB who likes to operate under center and does not excel at off schedule throws or extending plays.

Running the ball and play-action works for him.

When the Rams acquired Stafford their use of runs and play action dropped considerably as Stafford has more comfort operating with empty sets and from the shotgun.

Detroit has done the opposite with Goff incorporating more runs and passes out of the same sets and had some success this year.

So they have an increase in play-action passes for Goff, keep throws on schedule, and have added a bit more depth to those passes to help better move the chains.

Play action (IMO) is not nearly as effective out of the shotgun which we use a lot, but we also have a very mobile QB which opens up RPO's which neither Stafford or Goff would pull off very effectively as defenses don't really fear them as runners.

Good points but one caveat on the last one:

RPO in the original sense "run pass option" need not involve the QB, correct?  It technically just involves a running back and a passing threat

I think you're talking about a so called "triple option" or "triple threat" RPO, where the QB can either hand off, pass, or keep it himself and run (which does indeed require a mobile QB who presents a run threat.

27 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Sounds like he must have injured his hammy during practice yesterday.  Sucks that we might not have him available as an emergency DB.

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

No - McKenzie came up with a Hamstring and was limited in practice.

This allows you to have an entire healthy WR room and sit McKenzie to get the hamstring healthy.

The thing is, Beane had no need to make this move today.  He could make it on Saturday.

That's why I think it may be strategic.

Edited by Beck Water

16 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

RPO in the original sense "run pass option" need not involve the QB, correct?  It technically just involves a running back and a passing threat

I think you're talking about a so called "triple option" or "triple threat" RPO, where the QB can either hand off, pass, or keep it himself and run (which does indeed require a mobile QB who presents a run threat.

Sounds like he must have injured his hammy during practice yesterday.  Sucks that we might not have him available as an emergency DB.

you're concerned because McKenzie may not be able to play DB? How many injuries are you expecting?

Just now, nucci said:

you're concerned because McKenzie may not be able to play DB? How many injuries are you expecting?

It was a joke.  But the Bills actually did put him in at DB during the season finale against the Jets in 2019.  And Cheetah "warned" the Bills to "warm up those hamstrings" while McK is one of the players on the team who would have a shot to run with him

I get it, a joke ya gotta explain aint funny

Edited by Beck Water

15 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

The thing is, Beane had no need to make this move today.  He could make it on Saturday.

That's why I think it may be strategic.

Why would it matter today versus Saturday?  

You have an injury to McKenzie who is DNP and not practicing - you know you need to bring up a WR and a DL - this gets him involved and active 100%.

Since we are in the playoffs - there is no longer a cost to brining him up.

He already walked off the TB team and has stated this was the only place he was coming back to - so I don’t really see a strategy or another team trying to take him.

I see an injury that is taking out your starter and you activating his replacement giving you maximum flexibility come this weekend.

Maybe I am wrong, but nothing suggests he was going anyplace and they needed this action and everything suggests the injury sustained by McK yesterday in practice makes this move required to provide WR slot depth.

2 hours ago, Pokebball said:

Miami has got to try to manufacture points elsewhere - defense and special teams. Bill's offense needs to protect the ball and our special teams needs to play sound. I wouldn't be surprised to see Waddle and/or Hill returning kicks/punts. Without points from defense/ST, I don't see how Miami can win this game.

I get the sentiment, but are you really willing to risk a serious collision for 10 extra yards?

Just now, Rochesterfan said:

Why would it matter today versus Saturday?

Because it's "tipping your hand" offensively as to what game plan intentions may be

You have an injury to McKenzie who is DNP and not practicing - you know you need to bring up a WR and a DL - this gets him involved and active 100%.

First of all...I don't think we even know yet that McK DNP'd.  He wasn't out there during the media portion of practice, but it's not unprecedented for players the media didn't see to be listed as DNP

Do you really think that players on the PS aren't "involved and active 100%" without being officially elevated, especially if they know they're in the game plan?

Maybe I am wrong, but nothing suggests he was going anyplace and they needed this action and everything suggests the injury sustained by McK yesterday in practice makes this move required to provide WR slot depth.

Flip it around...even if this move is required, why does the GM make it now and not Saturday?  Why tip off the Dolphins that maybe McKenzie's injury is significant and he'll be inactive?  Why not leave them guessing?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.