NFL Week #18 - Patriots* @ Bills - Post Game Thread

BuffaloBill

I think people are misinterpreting my comments. In no way do I want Josh to turn into Captain Checkdown or reign him in in any way. When you have a horse you have to let him run. That being said, it is my professional couch surfing opinion that if Josh took just a few shorter throws earlier in the game it may open up his bread and butter intermediate throws that teams are all trying to take away. If you hit a couple of those and get the defenders thinking its an option, even two steps shaded toward the flat will open up the seam or the intermediate crossers he loves to throw.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, RunTheBall said:

I think people are misinterpreting my comments. In no way do I want Josh to turn into Captain Checkdown or reign him in in any way. When you have a horse you have to let him run. That being said, it is my professional couch surfing opinion that if Josh took just a few shorter throws earlier in the game it may open up his bread and butter intermediate throws that teams are all trying to take away. If you hit a couple of those and get the defenders thinking its an option, even two steps shaded toward the flat will open up the seam or the intermediate crossers he loves to throw.

It's a habit thing with Allen. As with any QB they have preferences and tendencies.

Allen is the anti-checkdown as his focus is almost always on slow-developing routes or scramble drills beyond the sticks.

That is why even DCs who are notorious for playing Cover 0, will drop defenders and play the deeper shell zones when playing Allen.

I did see a quick-timed back shoulder throw to Diggs yesterday that was just impossible to defend that moved the chains so that was sweet and well-executed.

But rather than calling those passes to RBs dump passes perhaps if Dorsey schemed those RB plays a bit deeper - right in front of the sticks where Allen would often hit Beasley.

Those might have a better shot of being targeted than a 3 yrd dump that is literally under Allen's radar.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Shouldn’t every fan base think that way? Also Spoil alert the Pats blew 4 games this year, 4 games they should have won even with a terrible O this year.  Also BB already stated (per talking heads up here) that he know he has make changes to the coaching staff.

The Pats strength is the D with Judon, Uche, Baremore, and Dugger  as stand outs with Both rookies Jones boys looking decent this year at corner. Marcus Jones is our Swiss Army knife being good in all 3 phases of the game for them this year. They are a top tier D. (Probably need another corner and a safety to replace a retiring McCourty.)

on O you have NICE pieces in Stevenson, Parker, Bourne and Meyers. The big issue on O was two fold terrible coaching and 2 tackles who just stunk most of the year. The line was so bad at week 13 or 14 Mac Jones had less time on average to throw than ANY other QB in the NFL. 

If the Pats should have won more games, they would have won them. That's why I said they remind me of the Bills during the drought. The Bills had very similar years during that time, where they had a good running game & D, and a lot of close games that they just couldn't finish.  That was the Pats this year. 

Pats also could have easily lost to the Steelers & Jets, both times. 

I think 2 things are going to hold the Patriots back in the years ahead:  Mac Jones, and Bill Belichick.  The latter has lost his touch, and Jones is exactly the kind of QB that will keep a team picking somewhere between 11 - 17 in every draft.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

So I've been listening to radio call highlights from yesterday's game today.

Not sure what the entire game sounded like, but John Murphy's replacement has been found.

Greg Brown has been phenomenal on the big play highlights; reminds of Van Miller in terms of enthusiasm.

Hate to see a guy lose a job due to injury, as the old saying goes, but sorry John.  You should go!

2 hours ago, Success said:

If the Pats should have won more games, they would have won them. That's why I said they remind me of the Bills during the drought. The Bills had very similar years during that time, where they had a good running game & D, and a lot of close games that they just couldn't finish.  That was the Pats this year. 

Pats also could have easily lost to the Steelers & Jets, both times. 

I think 2 things are going to hold the Patriots back in the years ahead:  Mac Jones, and Bill Belichick.  The latter has lost his touch, and Jones is exactly the kind of QB that will keep a team picking somewhere between 11 - 17 in every draft.

You could be right about Jones.  I think even you can agree that any QB in this system this year would look horrible. I want Jones to get a year with a good or at least average OC and see what he looks like. As for BB I agree, I think he has checked out and just wants get the record and not be bothered with people he doesn’t know. 

im a fan I will always cheer for them and hope for the best. Hell I sat threw the 1-15 year which Was horrid..  heck the years between Raymond Berry and Tuna was the dark hole of football up here. (Although I did enjoy getting tickets for $10 lol) 

2 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Anyone have any idea where Josh was throwing the ball on INT?

The game log on ESPN has the intended receiver at Gabe Davis, who was in the end zone at the time. The ball was more or less on his line but obviously way too short.

Edited by Wraith
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Wraith said:

The game log on ESPN has the intended receiver at Gabe Davis, who was in the end zone at the time. The ball was more or less on his line but obviously way too short.

Wasn’t a defender at his feet, preventing him from stepping into the throw at all.  Perhaps even makin him hesitant after the low hit last week. 

40 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

He's the better back?? 

Could be, but is he the 75% of Carry’s guy, that I’m not so convinced of, where as Singletary has shown his worth repeatedly, Cook right now is an excellent change of pace RB in our offense. 

Go Bills!!!

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Dan said:

Wasn’t a defender at his feet, preventing him from stepping into the throw at all.  Perhaps even makin him hesitant after the low hit last week. 

Yes, clearly should have been a roughing the passer penalty.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

You could be right about Jones.  I think even you can agree that any QB in this system this year would look horrible. I want Jones to get a year with a good or at least average OC and see what he looks like. As for BB I agree, I think he has checked out and just wants get the record and not be bothered with people he doesn’t know. 

im a fan I will always cheer for them and hope for the best. Hell I sat threw the 1-15 year which Was horrid..  heck the years between Raymond Berry and Tuna was the dark hole of football up here. (Although I did enjoy getting tickets for $10 lol) 

Hey your boy Jones had a good 1st half for sure and actually some good play calling and scheming guys  open by the OC.  13/16 and 2 TDs at halftime. Impressive.  CBS touted how dominant New England was all year in Q3.  Then they gave up 2 TDs and only scored 3 in this game in Q3.  Then Jones turned it over 2x in Q4.  When he had to deliver he and his team mates faltered.  

Time will tell if Jones becomes a top half of the league QB.  He did have 4 TDs and 3 INTs vs Bills in 2 games.  His ratings for those 2 games were 84.8/75.3 and QBRs were 38.2/67.7.  His future is likely tied to any regime change in New England.  As it stands now, he is part of their 2023 plans.

BTW, Josh Allen had 5TDs vs 1 INT vs Pats in 2 games this year and Ratings were 106/106 and QBRs were 89.7/81.7.

4 hours ago, finn said:

I said two passes, not one. 

I think you're underestimating the power of optics and narrative. If Davis catches the bomb in the Jets game, the Bills probably win, and the narrative changes 180 degrees, from "What is wrong with Allen?" to "Still MORE godlike throws from Allen!" And yesterday's performance goes from "Nice job from Allen" to "Did you see Allen throw THREE of the longest TDs this season--in ONE game?" 

I’m not sure about one catch  BUT the difference between great and MVP level is usually a hand full of plays made or NOT made. We’re talking about a QB that does things no one else has or can do. So yes a few plays here or there swing the votes. 

1 hour ago, freddyjj said:

Hey your boy Jones had a good 1st half for sure and actually some good play calling and scheming guys  open by the OC.  13/16 and 2 TDs at halftime. Impressive.  CBS touted how dominant New England was all year in Q3.  Then they gave up 2 TDs and only scored 3 in this game in Q3.  Then Jones turned it over 2x in Q4.  When he had to deliver he and his team mates faltered.  

Time will tell if Jones becomes a top half of the league QB.  He did have 4 TDs and 3 INTs vs Bills in 2 games.  His ratings for those 2 games were 84.8/75.3 and QBRs were 38.2/67.7.  His future is likely tied to any regime change in New England.  As it stands now, he is part of their 2023 plans.

BTW, Josh Allen had 5TDs vs 1 INT vs Pats in 2 games this year and Ratings were 106/106 and QBRs were 89.7/81.7.

Jones is not Allen. There are few QBs his equal or better than him. (Mahomes I think is better.)

Mac Jones is our best option for next year, unless a top 2 QB falls into our lap.  I think we find out next year one way or the other on him. 

Also on a side note. Enjoy these times you have with the Bills. You never know how long they will last.. so smile enjoy it and try not take any game to dang seriously.. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Dan said:

Yes, there was a defender wrapped around his lower legs preventing completion of the throw.  This was obviously the reason for the poor pass. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.