Any woodworkers on here?

Einstein

I'm pretty much a novice, but I've done a few projects I'm fairly proud of.  A table for my dog (replacing the ~50 yr old one my Dad made) the top of which matches the solid surface countertops I made & installed , a couple of bathroom vanities (here's the 2nd) & a couple garage doors which I think are beautiful (turns out the construction was quite similar to the rotted ones they replaced.

Sorry.  No pics as they're too big to upload. :(

29 minutes ago, eSJayDee said:

I'm pretty much a novice, but I've done a few projects I'm fairly proud of.  A table for my dog (replacing the ~50 yr old one my Dad made) the top of which matches the solid surface countertops I made & installed , a couple of bathroom vanities (here's the 2nd) & a couple garage doors which I think are beautiful (turns out the construction was quite similar to the rotted ones they replaced.

Sorry.  No pics as they're too big to upload. :(

Ahh darn. Resize and upload! Or use a site like imgbb.com and then link to them.

Wow that’s some nice work! You have some skill!

I’ve thought about trying to build my own speaker/subwoofer cabinets but I don’t really have much experience with woodworking and only have basics like a jigsaw and circular saw. I don’t even have a router. It would have been tough cutting the holes for the speaker/subwoofer in the front baffles without a jigsaw.

It’s still something I’d like to try in the future though. You can get an awful lot more performance for the money by going DIY with speakers and subwoofers, and there’s tons of free plans available online.

If anything I’ll probably go with a kit that comes with a flat pack for the cabinets, so all I’d have to do is glue + clamp them together. But then it would add to the cost, obviously. 

4 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Wow that’s some nice work! You have some skill!

I’ve thought about trying to build my own speaker/subwoofer cabinets but I don’t really have much experience with woodworking and only have basics like a jigsaw and circular saw. I don’t even have a router. It would have been tough cutting the holes for the speaker/subwoofer in the front baffles without a jigsaw.

It’s still something I’d like to try in the future though. You can get an awful lot more performance for the money by going DIY with speakers and subwoofers, and there’s tons of free plans available online.

If anything I’ll probably go with a kit that comes with a flat pack for the cabinets, so all I’d have to do is glue + clamp them together. But then it would add to the cost, obviously. 

Thanks.

If you’re interested in building speakers, there is a YouTube woodworking channel by John Heisz and he builds beautiful speakers.

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Einstein said:

Thanks.

If you’re interested in building speakers, there is a YouTube woodworking channel by John Heisz and he builds beautiful speakers.

thanks! I follow some other DIY speaker channels but I wasn’t aware of that one. Those speakers look amazing. Definitely way above my skill level. lol

I was originally thinking something like one of these kits (link below), but ideally cutting all my own wood. Or just having a cabinet shop or some place with a CNC do the cuts for me. It would still be cheaper than a kit. All the cuts are available for free online. They’re even optimally laid out on each 4x8 sheet to use the least amount of wood as possible.

https://shop.gsgad.com/products/devastator-mkii-horn-baltic-birch-single-unit

Or something more simple, like just a sealed subwoofer box with lots of bracing.

Something like this 

https://www.parts-express.com/Denovo-Audio-Knock-Down-MDF-4.0-cu.-ft.-Subwoofer-Cabinet-for-Dayton-Audio-18-Ultimax-300-7089

but if I went that route I’d be building it to hold a 24” subwoofer driver (stereo integrity HS24 or Harbottle 24).

I actually just bought a 2nd 18” subwoofer for my home theater so I don’t think I’ll be building a DIY one in the near future. But I definitely want to try the 24” sealed subs and one of those refrigerator sized 21” devestator bandpass subs some day! 

I think what I’ll most likely try to do is build a speaker kit for my front L + R + center speakers. There’s lots of different kits available online. Some you can buy flat packs for but most are just the speakers and crossover parts + plans for the cabinets (list of cuts). 

maybe something like this. They get silly loud with tiny amounts of power from your amp (so you can just run them off a basic av receiver instead of needing more complicated and expensive separate amplifier setups).

Btw, how did you get into woodworking?

What are your favorite types of projects to do?

love that tv stand 

I did some inset shelves in our garage upstairs bonus room. And we did a pine tongue and groove ceiling. Nothing too complicated or fancy.

Much more a finishing guy, myself. Or re-finishing. Have gotten several pieces of furniture on my area’s Buy Nothing FB page and Marketplace and did some minor repair / filling / sanding and stain & poly or the Polyshades stuff.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.