Benford activated from IR

YoloinOhio

33 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I guess that depends up what you are referencing.

Pro Football focus had him at 47 and 48%  of defensive snaps the last 2 games and 43% versus the NYJ in game #1 - so that is at least 3 times since October that he has broken 40% of defensive snaps and the last 2 have been nearly 50%.

He is also alternating with Jackson - 2 series on and 2 series off - so since we had not even completed 2 series versus Cincinnati  - there is no way I would even look at it - even bringing it up is stupid.  Jackson starts as the Veteran and they have been running bland coverages - then they make adjustments and bring Elam in and then switch him out with other adjustments.

Basically against 2 teams that run a bunch and the Bills wanted to run a lot of zone - they pulled him out.  When they wanted more man corners against Miami - he played half the game.

I think you are seeing exactly what the Bills want to do - they are using Jackson, White, and Elam to switch up coverages and make adjustments to get teams out of their game plans.  

So when Elam comes on the field it’s basically telling teams we are playing more man. Great! Reminds me of when Zach Moss came on the field everyone knew we were running up the middle. Bills shouldn’t have babied Elam all year and had him out there day 1. At this point in the season our physically most gifted DB hardly sees the field and he should be making an impact.  That’s the Bills way though, baby early round picks 

• Eyeroll 1

38 minutes ago, balln said:

Which is kind of the problem. 

Oh look - elam is in they’re gonna play man’s -

let’s dial up our offense 

oh look Dane Jackson in- let’s dial up jump balls 

Except they don’t - they have been playing different combinations of man and man zone and switching things off - which is why after they make adjustments teams find it harder to move the ball.  

They have been giving a ton of different looks not based on Elam or Jackson.

30 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Except they don’t - they have been playing different combinations of man and man zone and switching things off - which is why after they make adjustments teams find it harder to move the ball.  

They have been giving a ton of different looks not based on Elam or Jackson.

hard to tell exactly what the coverage is from play to play, even on the all-22 view.  we need to be careful to criticize when we do not really know what we are looking at with any kind of exact knowledge

16 hours ago, BlazinBill said:

I would love Micah coming back just like the rest of us. A couple weeks back he said in an interview the the doctors said he would feel good enough to come back but this injury is like 6-9 healing time and they would be keeping him away to not further hurt himself. 

Apologize if it's already known- definitely not trying to be a Debbie Downer 

That’s my recollection as well.  Him saying he feels a lot better and the doctors had told him that would be the case but because of the nature of the injury feeling better didn’t equate to returning sooner.  But perhaps that was just my pessimistic interpretation.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Pro Football focus had him at 47 and 48%  of defensive snaps the last 2 games and 43% versus the NYJ in game #1 - so that is at least 3 times since October that he has broken 40% of defensive snaps and the last 2 have been nearly 50%.

Sorry for the confusion. When someone puts “~” next to a number, that means it’s it’s approximately any number in that series. So 40~% is any number between 40 and 49.

He is not (for the most part) alternating with Jackson as Jackson has played 81% of defensive snaps for the year. There may be a couple games he did but overall it has been Jackson in and Elam out depending on zone or man (not based on series).

In the last 5 games, Elam has had:

Jets - 0% of snaps

Mia - 48% of snaps

Patriots - 0% of snaps

Chi - 47% of snaps

Cin - 0% of snaps (but obviously a shortened game)

He has not had anything higher than 48% since October. 

And I have a feeling with Benford coming back, Elams percentage is going to dip even lower.

Edited by Einstein
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

He is also alternating with Jackson - 2 series on and 2 series off - so since we had not even completed 2 series versus Cincinnati  - there is no way I would even look at it - even bringing it up is stupid.  Jackson starts as the Veteran and they have been running bland coverages - then they make adjustments and bring Elam in and then switch him out with other adjustments.

Basically against 2 teams that run a bunch and the Bills wanted to run a lot of zone - they pulled him out.  When they wanted more man corners against Miami - he played half the game.

I think you are seeing exactly what the Bills want to do - they are using Jackson, White, and Elam to switch up coverages and make adjustments to get teams out of their game plans.  

If the Bills believed Elam was one of their better corners, he’d be playing significant minutes. Period.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Sorry for the confusion. When someone puts “~” next to a number, that means it’s it’s approximately any number in that series. So 40~% is any number between 40 and 49.

He is not (for the most part) alternating with Jackson as Jackson has played 81% of defensive snaps for the year. There may be a couple games he did but overall it has been Jackson in and Elam out depending on zone or man (not based on series).

Jets - 0% of snaps

Mia - 48% of snaps

Patriots - 0% of snaps

Chi - 47% of snaps

And I have a feeling with Benford coming back, Elams percentage is going to dip even lower.

Based upon this I'd say he'll get 46% this week.😉🤣

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

If the Bills believed Elam was one of their better corners, he’d be playing significant minutes. Period.

Not really, this coaching staff has chosen experience over talent time and time again. They are more worried about not making mistakes than making plays. 

8 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Not really, this coaching staff has chosen experience over talent time and time again. They are more worried about not making mistakes than making plays. 

I disagree there. I’d say they’ve misjudged  some of their own (Teller and Bates specifically), but I don’t recall better talent consistently riding the bench in lieu of more experienced players. Perhaps you could cite some examples…

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Jets - 0% of snaps

Mia - 48% of snaps

Patriots - 0% of snaps

Chi - 47% of snaps

Not arguing your overall point, but you chose really strange way to list those games. It is more like:

Pats - 0% of snaps - inactive

Jets - 0% of snaps

Dolphins - 47%

Bears - 48%

Mentioning Cincy seems weird since it ended in the first quarter. Him not playing doesn't mean much (if he didn't play, I didn't see it), I think they usually start with 2 series of Jackson then 2 series of Elam.

We will see what Benford's return brings.

10 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

I disagree there. I’d say they’ve misjudged  some of their own (Teller and Bates specifically), but I don’t recall better talent consistently riding the bench in lieu of more experienced players. Perhaps you could cite some examples…

Peteman over Allen

Old man Gore getting more carries than Singletary. 

Sanders over Gabe for most of last season

Lil Dirty still starting at slot over Shakir

Jackson getting beat on a regular basis while Elam sits on the bench. 

Moss over Cook early in the season

20 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Not arguing your overall point, but you chose really strange way to list those games. It is more like:

Pats - 0% of snaps - inactive

Jets - 0% of snaps

Dolphins - 47%

Bears - 48%

Im confused. You listed the exact same numbers I did? Or are you just saying I didn’t put them in the correct order?

5 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Yeah order. Seems important to me in this context. Plus I wouldn't count Bengals game at all.

Ok sorry I got the order wrong. I was going based off my memory from looking yesterday. 

I agree I don’t really count the Bengals game, but what little we did see, even after a disastrous opening defensive effort, didn’t include Elam.

15 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Peteman over Allen

Old man Gore getting more carries than Singletary. 

Sanders over Gabe for most of last season

Lil Dirty still starting at slot over Shakir

Jackson getting beat on a regular basis while Elam sits on the bench. 

Moss over Cook early in the season

In all cases, the Bills believed - at that time - they were playing the better player. The rookie has to prove them wrong and at this point, they don’t think Elam is better than Jackson, no matter how many times Dane gets roasted. The Bills are in the business of winning, careers are on the line, money, etc. It goes back to my original point you disagreed with - if the Bills believed Elam was one of their better corners, he’d be seeing significant minutes. There’s no mental gymnastics around that.

58 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Murphy over Lawson

Sanders over Davis

Gore over Singletary 

10 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

In all cases, the Bills believed - at that time - they were playing the better player. The rookie has to prove them wrong and at this point, they don’t think Elam is better than Jackson, no matter how many times Dane gets roasted. The Bills are in the business of winning, careers are on the line, money, etc. It goes back to my original point you disagreed with - if the Bills believed Elam was one of their better corners, he’d be seeing significant minutes. There’s no mental gymnastics around that.

Have you been living under a rock? All our young rookies hardly see the field, it’s not because the other players are better it’s because McDermott values experience over talent. Not a team in the league gets less out of their rookies than Buffalo. 

• Disagree 1

16 hours ago, Logic said:

Here's an unpopular take:

I thought that Cam Lewis -- who will likely be taking over at free safety from here on out -- actually played well in the Minnesota game, EXCEPT for on the famous non-swat-down of the Jefferson catch. Obviously, that's the play that gets remembered, and rightly so. But OTHER than that play, I thought he acquitted himself pretty well. Even on that play, yes, he obviously should have swatted it down instead of going for the pick, but he was in position and was a freak Justin Jefferson play away from having the game-sealing interception.

Anyway, I think we're about to see a bunch more of him, so we'll see if I'm right or I'm a crazy person. If he DOESN'T perform well, I'd have to think the leash won't be very long, since playoff time is coming and Dean Marlowe is a smart vet that knows the system.

Hmmm, interesting.

I absolutely agree on Cam Lewis.  I think he can play CB and S.  And, agree with the Minnesota game and Cam's ability moving forward.

I was always surprised when folks on here said he would be the next player cut if we needed a roster spot.

Regarding Dean Marlowe, in his first stint with the Bills I thought he was the back up to Poyer AND Hyde.  3rd Safety and great at the role and stepping in when he started.  He played great every time he played.  Barely skipped a beat and I think he played Special Teams.

We let Marlowe go and I thought it was for younger players and to save some cap.  We then brought Marlowe back I was surprised he has not played.  He knows the system.  My thought is since Marlowe has not played he has lost a step.  Marlowe is not what the Bills thought they were getting in the trade and Marlowe is less of a player now.  The Coaches must think he is not the next man up.

Not sure what to think, but, something does not add up.  We will see this Sunday if he is active or not and if so how much he plays.

5 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Have you been living under a rock? All our young rookies hardly see the field, it’s not because the other players are better it’s because McDermott values experience over talent. Not a team in the league gets less out of their rookies than Buffalo. 

I'm not totally sure about that.  I would say it's more like "all things being equal, or almost equal" McDermott goes with experience/knowledge.

I know the Bills DB are expected to work in a pretty complicated system.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.