Benford activated from IR

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

All good, and I dont disagree with the challenges of an in season move like this.  And as someone else pointed out, Tre is not a good tackler which is another valid reason of why this may not work out.

To be honest, this is more about whether Tre should be starting at CB right now, or should we start 2 guys from Elam, Dane, and Benford.  Tre has been the most exploitable weak spot on the defense since coming back.  Cincy came right at him and he drew an embarrassing PI where he was badly torched on first play and then a couple plays later got worked on an easy route for a TD.  

Teams smell blood and we have a slew of dangerous WR's potentially to face in the playoffs.  

You definitely raise some valid points about the concerns with Tre at corner.

He definitely isn’t himself right now.

I think his success this season will depend on the officials and if they “let them play or not”, because he seems very grabby since he’s been back this year 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

The whole season with all the craziness with the DBs I just have to give a pass to all the young guys thrust into tough situations.

The defensive backfield room has had so much drama and continuous substitutions I give everyone credit for just getting this far.

The fact that we have had such injuries and craziness with the DB’s and Elam STILL can’t get on the field much is what concerns me the most. You’d think they’d be turning to him just out of sheer necessity… but they aren’t.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Rough how? I don’t think his lack of playing time is warranted based on games. It’ll have to be something in practice or something else.

Elam has had a fine rookie season on the field.

I don’t think McD is punishing him over something that happened in practice presumably weeks ago. He hasn’t had over 40~% of the snaps since OCTOBER.

He is the 78th rated CB according to PFF.

8 minutes ago, Einstein said:

The fact that we have had such injuries and craziness with the DB’s and Elam STILL can’t get on the field much is what concerns me the most. You’d think they’d be turning to him just out of sheer necessity… but they aren’t.

And I will add all the praise we give McDermott for working with the DB, and getting the most out of them. And you add he was a top pick on to that, it’s not looking good !!!  I really hope he turns the corner next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Can we please stop acting like elam is not playing he’s not starting he’s getting reps every game

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Can we please stop acting like elam is not playing he’s not starting he’s getting reps every game

He has 0 snaps in 2 of the last 4 games and 40~% or less snaps in every game since October (last on the team).

He also had 0 snaps in the first two Bengals drives, so you could technically say 3 of the last 5 games he has had no snaps.

Edited by Einstein

16 minutes ago, Einstein said:

He has 0 snaps in 2 of the last 4 games and 40~% or less snaps in every game since October (last on the team).

He also had 0 snaps in the first two Bengals drives, so you could technically say 3 of the last 5 games he has had no snaps.

So you’re gonna count the Bengals game really?

40 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

So you’re gonna count the Bengals game really?

I separated the Bengals game out.

I said if you want to count the Bengals game, then it’s 0 snaps in 3 of the last 5.

But if you don’t (and I don’t blame you for not counting it), then it’s still zero snaps in 2 of the last 4 AND 40~% or less snaps in every game since October.

Edited by Einstein
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

They aren’t big on making changes. My guess is Johnson or Lewis start in place of Hamlin and Elam continues to ride the bench in favor of Jackson. 

Have to think it’s some off the field issue… either way sticking with Jackson opposite Tre gets frustrating.

The only off the field issue appears to be that at this point they'd rather him be off the field when they play zone, which is most of the time.

He essentially did not play zone in college. Next year hopefully he'll have figured it out. As of now, though, he's pretty good at man and less so in zone, though seems to be improving. And that improvement is good news.

Thanks to those looking at the actual facts in terms of snaps rather than just going with their narratives.

Edited by Thurman#1

7 hours ago, Einstein said:

I separated the Bengals game out.

I said if you want to count the Bengals game, then it’s 0 snaps in 3 of the last 5.

But if you don’t (and I don’t blame you for not counting it), then it’s still zero snaps in 2 of the last 4 AND 40~% or less snaps in every game since October.

I guess that depends up what you are referencing.

Pro Football focus had him at 47 and 48%  of defensive snaps the last 2 games and 43% versus the NYJ in game #1 - so that is at least 3 times since October that he has broken 40% of defensive snaps and the last 2 have been nearly 50%.

He is also alternating with Jackson - 2 series on and 2 series off - so since we had not even completed 2 series versus Cincinnati  - there is no way I would even look at it - even bringing it up is stupid.  Jackson starts as the Veteran and they have been running bland coverages - then they make adjustments and bring Elam in and then switch him out with other adjustments.

Basically against 2 teams that run a bunch and the Bills wanted to run a lot of zone - they pulled him out.  When they wanted more man corners against Miami - he played half the game.

I think you are seeing exactly what the Bills want to do - they are using Jackson, White, and Elam to switch up coverages and make adjustments to get teams out of their game plans.  

• Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I guess that depends up what you are referencing.

Pro Football focus had him at 47 and 48%  of defensive snaps the last 2 games and 43% versus the NYJ in game #1 - so that is at least 3 times since October that he has broken 40% of defensive snaps and the last 2 have been nearly 50%.

He is also alternating with Jackson - 2 series on and 2 series off - so since we had not even completed 2 series versus Cincinnati  - there is no way I would even look at it - even bringing it up is stupid.  Jackson starts as the Veteran and they have been running bland coverages - then they make adjustments and bring Elam in and then switch him out with other adjustments.

Basically against 2 teams that run a bunch and the Bills wanted to run a lot of zone - they pulled him out.  When they wanted more man corners against Miami - he played half the game.

I think you are seeing exactly what the Bills want to do - they are using Jackson, White, and Elam to switch up coverages and make adjustments to get teams out of their game plans.  

Which is kind of the problem. 

Oh look - elam is in they’re gonna play man’s -

let’s dial up our offense 

oh look Dane Jackson in- let’s dial up jump balls 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I was pretty set against moving Tre to safety...but given the circumstances of both Hyde and Hamlin out coupled Tre struggling in coverage and being probably our most exploitable corner right now with his lack of speed or explosion, maybe its not such a crazy idea to slide him over to FS and let Elam, Dane, Taron, and Benford handle the CB duties. 

If Hamlin was still out there, I wouldn't suggest this.  But I would think Tre might fare as well or better at safety then our 3rd string FS at this point.  And I do think our pass D will be better with Dane and Elam starting outside right now than Tre.  

Tre has made some plays, but he is also very exploitable with his lack of burst and we are set to potentially face teams like Miami and Cincy in playoffs who have some dangerous WR's to account for.  

I think he might have meant Benford to safety. But you make some good points.

16 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I was pretty set against moving Tre to safety...but given the circumstances of both Hyde and Hamlin out coupled Tre struggling in coverage and being probably our most exploitable corner right now with his lack of speed or explosion, maybe its not such a crazy idea to slide him over to FS and let Elam, Dane, Taron, and Benford handle the CB duties. 

If Hamlin was still out there, I wouldn't suggest this.  But I would think Tre might fare as well or better at safety then our 3rd string FS at this point.  And I do think our pass D will be better with Dane and Elam starting outside right now than Tre.  

Tre has made some plays, but he is also very exploitable with his lack of burst and we are set to potentially face teams like Miami and Cincy in playoffs who have some dangerous WR's to account for.  

Conceptually, I like this idea.    It is clear that Tre is very exploitable on the deeper patterns and it is a potential serious liability.  He's been excellent so far on the short to intermediate stuff and safety's typically aren't required to have that explosiveness that CB's need to have.   Despite his extreme familiarity with the system, does he know enough to immediately step in at the safety spot?   I love the idea on paper, the question is it feasible/realistic that he could step right in and do the job at a higher level than Marlowe or Jaquan?

• Agree 1

Lots of discussion on here about Elam. It leaves me to wonder if the Bills player personnel department isn’t falling down here a bit. Between Epenesa and now Elam (two of the last three draft classes) we seem to have selected defensive players that the coaching staff simply doesn’t know what to do with, or that are more aptly labeled ‘projects’. While the Bills are of course a very good team, no team can afford the luxury of doing that for long. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.