Bills Radio PBP Announcer John Murphy suffered a stroke last weekend

Big Turk

5 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

It’s worth a bump for this topic.  We had conversation today about Kim Pegula and Damar Hamlin and their medical issues.  To my knowledge, nothing was said about John Murphy, an all-time great guy.  

The fact that Murph (apparently) wasn’t at the event speaks for itself.  I have no issue with concern, and prayers, and worry for Kim P. and Hamlin.  It is warranted, and appropriate, and reflects sentiments that I share.  Let’s just not forget about another member of the Bills family who seems to be enduring his own struggle right now.  Prayers up for Murph, and I hope we catch him somewhere in the stadium this fall.  

Crazy I was literally thinking about him this weekend.   I hate that there hasn’t been any update.  I totally get it’s none of my business.   

im a big believer in prayer and have been praying for him since I learned of his stroke.  Hoping he is recovering and will be back in the booth soon 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, beerme1 said:

I've thought of Murphy fairly often. It's weird to me that there has been zero information given by anyone about him. Same with Kim until Jessie pretty much laid everything out. Get well Murph. And Kim. Today had to be such a weird day for Terry and family. Such emotion at the ground breaking chilled by the absence of those two. 

He and his family might have requested that no info is shared.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, beerme1 said:

I've thought of Murphy fairly often. It's weird to me that there has been zero information given by anyone about him. Same with Kim until Jessie pretty much laid everything out. Get well Murph. And Kim. Today had to be such a weird day for Terry and family. Such emotion at the ground breaking chilled by the absence of those two. 

7 hours ago, purple haze said:

He and his family might have requested that no info is shared.

I have no idea why some people believe they are “entitled” to private medical information about someone simply because he/she is a public figure.

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 2

13 minutes ago, eball said:

I have no idea why some people believe they are “entitled” to private medical information about someone simply because he/she is a public figure.

Seriously? People, by nature, are curious beings. Whenever ANYBODY dies, and people hear about it, the first thing most people wonder is “how did they die?” Same concept if somebody is unexpectedly hospitalized….”what’s wrong with them?”

So, when public figures unexpectedly get sick and/or die,  people who have come to know (and even love, sometimes) them, of course want to know “what happened?” Or in cases like this, “how is he doing?” Lots of people have a trait called empathy, and they care about other people, and they want to know if they’re hurt or suffering. Maybe they will want to render some assistance to the injured person (or to the family if the person is deceased)?

It’s nowhere near “entitlement”; it’s all about CARING.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, eball said:

I didn’t read the prior comment as reflecting entitlement.  I understood it to be reflective of concern.  In the medical context, many times no news is bad news.  This fan base has—rightfully—expressed concern and care for Kim P. And Damar.  Murph deserves that love, too. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, eball said:

Glad someone bumped this topic.  I have said I’m not a fan of Murph’s play-by-play but there is no question he is a member of the Bills family and deserves our support.  I’m not a “prayers” guy but I wish him all the best and was sorry to hear he was not at today’s event.

I too not a huge fan of his play-by-play. He's ok, but he has a tendency to get too amped up. There were times while listening I thought the play was like a 30 yard pass play and it turns out to be a 3-yard sideline catch. However, I do like him on One Bills Live. I think that's the show he did. Hope he gets back. At least in some capacity. 

6 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

I didn’t read the prior comment as reflecting entitlement.  I understood it to be reflective of concern.  In the medical context, many times no news is bad news.  This fan base has—rightfully—expressed concern and care for Kim P. And Damar.  Murph deserves that love, too. 

The comment was:

"It's weird to me that there has been zero information given by anyone about him."

That to me is saying there's an expectation that info be given.  Maybe that's not entitlement, but also ignores the point as @eball stated maybe the family doesn't care to share anything.

And yes do agree the less info given the more speculation there is and rumors, but doesn't seem to lessen the expectation of information needs to be given either.

• Dislike 1

Just now, ndirish1978 said:

I do wish there was a way to get him some well-wishes. I don't believe he has twitter.

I imagine you could send any cards with well wishes to Murph via the Bills as he is employed by them and they can be sure he gets them.

12 hours ago, eball said:

Call it whatever you feel entitled to! I think that's a pretty ignorant take on my comment.

I have invested my emotion into many times either listening to him or in fact being at the side window from the broadcast crew was and interacting with him many times at the stadium as a result of my season tickets being located right there. Van Miller also. Your take sucks dude. But whatever works for you.

• Like (+1) 4

Murph's wife is CEO of the non-profit Family Justice Center of Erie County. 

https://fjcsafe.org/  

Here is the mission statement:

The Family Justice Center helps victims of Domestic Violence by providing free services for domestic violence victims and their children through an extensive collaboration with 13 partner agencies, located at one secure, comfortable location. Victims can visit any of the three locations to take advantage of these free services to help them safely escape abuse.

I know folks are probably tired of donating to Bills causes but a donation in Murph's honor might be a good way to let him know folks are thinking of him.

Some locals on the board may remember Murph's wife as a news/consumer reporter for WKBW...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JoeF said:

Murph's wife is CEO of the non-profit Family Justice Center of Erie County. 

https://fjcsafe.org/  

Here is the mission statement:

The Family Justice Center helps victims of Domestic Violence by providing free services for domestic violence victims and their children through an extensive collaboration with 13 partner agencies, located at one secure, comfortable location. Victims can visit any of the three locations to take advantage of these free services to help them safely escape abuse.

I know folks are probably tired of donating to Bills causes but a donation in Murph's honor might be a good way to let him know folks are thinking of him.

Some locals on the board may remember Murph's wife as a news/consumer reporter for WKBW...

This is a GREAT idea!

• Agree 1

On 6/5/2023 at 5:47 PM, SectionC3 said:

He’s an all-time great guy.  His (apparent) absence today was conspicuous.  He one of “us,” and he should not be forgotten. 

Some who have met him have said otherwise, that’s he’s pompous and egotistical. Were those bad experiences, or is that Murphy’s character? I have no idea. I do wish him a full recovery, but also hope for a new voice in the booth. 

• Dislike 1

21 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Some who have met him have said otherwise, that’s he’s pompous and egotistical. Were those bad experiences, or is that Murphy’s character? I have no idea. I do wish him a full recovery, but also hope for a new voice in the booth. 

All time great guy.  He’s salt of the earth.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.