Potential decision made for Championship Game location

Ra-cha-cha

1 minute ago, Buffalo03 said:

Does anyone know if we are the 2 and the Bengals the 3, if we play each other in the Divisional round, is that neutral? Or is that just the championship game?

I do know.  The game would be in Buffalo. 

5 minutes ago, BillyBilliams said:

Don't lose 32-13 to Cleveland and you wouldn't be talking about this.  In fact, if you didn't lose 32-13 to Cleveland, you'd be the 2 seed right now.

While that is true, you are completely missing the point.  I mean The Bills would be the one seed right now if they took a snap vs Minnesota.  The point is that there is a game unplayed that affects the standings giving the outcomes of all the games there were actually played.   It is unfair to the Bengals because they had a shot at the one seed but because the game was not played, they lose that.  They also win their division for the same reason.   Again, there is no fair way to handle this, they are going to make a decision and it will be what it is.

8 minutes ago, Stads said:

Even if we lost to Cincinatti, a KC loss to the Raiders would have given us the #1 seed over KC (equal losses, tiebreaker for us head to head). Cincinatti would have an issue since cancelling our game gives them no chance at the #1 seed. I think I have that right, but my brain don't work too good 

That is correct, I was forgetting about the tie breaker the Bills own over KC

3 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Does anyone know if we are the 2 and the Bengals the 3, if we play each other in the Divisional round, is that neutral? Or is that just the championship game?

Both games would be in buffalo

Canceling the week 17 game has the bills and bengals both at 16 games played and no need to adjust or work anything out

Just now, Matt_In_NH said:

While that is true, you are completely missing the point.  I mean The Bills would be the one seed right now if they took a snap vs Minnesota.  The point is that there is a game unplayed that affects the standings giving the outcomes of all the games there were actually played.   It is unfair to the Bengals because they had a shot at the one seed but because the game was not played, they lose that.  They also win their division for the same reason.   Again, there is no fair way to handle this, they are going to make a decision and it will be what it is.

They have 4 losses.  The Bills have 3 losses.  The ONLY gripe I think you might be able to have is if Buffalo and Cincy wins, and KC loses, who gets the 2 seed.  I say this because Cincy would finish the year 12-4 and KC would be 13-4.  Cincy beat KC and would have owned the tie breaker.  Unfortunately for the them, the NFL rightfully cancelled the game.  Again, if they didn't lose 32-13, they wouldn't be in this situation.

Your analogy doesn't make sense, because despite that loss to Minnesota, they were still the 1 seed going into last week.  They controlled their own destiny, until they didn't, and it was no fault of their own.  They were victims of a catastrophic accident where their game could not be played.

The Bengals are getting the shaft out of this whole thing

9 minutes ago, BillyBilliams said:

We would be the 2.  Buffalo is currently 12-3 and Cincinnati is currently 11-4.  Buffalo has the better record.

Yes, but the Bengals could have beat us and went ahead of us. Better record isn't as cut and dry in this scenario 

What about the case where Cinci and Buffalo win but KC loses.  In that scenario the records would be

Bills 13-3

Cinci 12-4

KC 13-4

But if Cinci has beaten the Bills there would be a three way tie, Cinci woudl have beaten BUF and KC, should that game not be at a neutral site if Buf and Cinci are in the championship game?

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

What is interesting to me is if Buffalo wins this week and KC loses, the Bills will get the one seed and get the bye and home field advantage?  This seems unfair to KC becuase the unequal game thing is still in affect and if it was played, it is possible KC could have gotten the one seed outright.  I dont think they listed all the possibilities. 

Did they say how they will sell seats for the neutral site game?  It is possible they will give the option to season ticket holders.  While I understand your frustration, do  you not see there is no ideal solution here?  It is at a neutral site because home field was not fully determined, it could have gone either way including the Bills not having it meaning you would have to go to KC.

No, bc if KC loses this week they couldn't have been the 1 seed even if the Bills were given an L for the Bengals game.

The neutral field senario only applies when it's two teams that played a different amount for games AND both could have been the higher seed depending on the outcome of the canceled game.

• Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, BillyBilliams said:

Your analogy doesn't make sense, because despite that loss to Minnesota, they were still the 1 seed going into last week. 

Ok if you say so, I say pointing to any loss of any game and saying well you should have won that game to avoid this given this unique unpresented situation is ridiculous.

The Bengals are getting the shaft out of this whole thing

I get the knee-jerk reaction, but going into the weekend, Buffalo and KC had 12 wins and Cincinnati had 11.  The Bengals' odds of getting the 1 seed were smaller to begin with.  If the Bengals had been 12-3 going into the weekend, you would have seen a much more equitable distribution of playoff outcomes.  But they weren't.  

10 hours ago, DieHardFan said:

This is total BS! 

I paid my Season Ticket bribe for 32 years to keep my senority through some pretty lean years for the RIGHT to (pay for ) and have ownership of MY SEATS for the playoffs. 2020 and the COVID reshuffling was bad enough (choose a sure thing or give it up to bet on an uncertain game). Fortunately I was able to reach a trade with a fellow STH and make both but NO THANKS TO THE NFL!

Now the NFL will make sure every kardashian, two-bit celebrity, and has been NFL player gets a seat and it at best it will be another lottery to get what should be mine. 

And since it was conveniently omitted, I await another reeming when it comes to a bye for the #1 seed.

Screw you NFL!

Blaming the NFL for this is like blaming a loss on one bad call by an official...........it ignores the vast amount of other outcomes that created the scenario in the first place.

If the Bills didn't choke away big leads to the Jets OR Minnesota then they wouldn't have needed the Bengals game.........they could have secured home field at home versus NE regardless of any other outcomes.

All in all........Buffalo gets treated fairly in this.    I've been a season ticket holder for nearly 30 years as well.........having not completed the 17 game schedule I don't know how you can act like a home AFCCG is something you own the rights to. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BRH said:

I get the knee-jerk reaction, but going into the weekend, Buffalo and KC had 12 wins and Cincinnati had 11.  The Bengals' odds of getting the 1 seed were smaller to begin with.  If the Bengals had been 12-3 going into the weekend, you would have seen a much more equitable distribution of playoff outcomes.  But they weren't.  

Not just the 1 seed, the Bengals could have gotten the 2 and played that game in Cincinnati. Now they don't get that opportunity 

3 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

What about the case where Cinci and Buffalo win but KC loses.  In that scenario the records would be

Bills 13-3

Cinci 12-4

KC 13-4

But if Cinci has beaten the Bills there would be a three way tie, Cinci woudl have beaten BUF and KC, should that game not be at a neutral site if Buf and Cinci are in the championship game?

Any tie between just BUF and CIN for a single games home field should go to CIN. They lost their opportunity for the one home game, without a loss to the Ravens, Buffalo should have to play in their house.

3 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Bills 13-3

Cinci 12-4

KC 13-4

The NFL appears to be saying that since the Bills and Bengals both played the same amount of games, it doesn't matter. The record determines the seeding...

But the fairest thing in that scenario, imo, is a neutral field. 

Not just the 1 seed, the Bengals could have gotten the 2 and played that game in Cincinnati. Now they don't get that opportunity 

Sucks to be them.  Again, they went into the game with the fewest wins of the three teams.  That's not either KC's or Buffalo's fault.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.