Denny Kellington - appreciation thread for the hero who saved Damar's life

Alphadawg7

15 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Can some of you more “wise” members here recall the situation with the Sabres goalie in the late 80s? The stories told down my family tree is that the Sabres trainer was a Vietnam War Med vet, and because of his experience with trauma situations in the war, he stuck his fingers in Malarchuk’s neck and pinched the artery and saved his life.

Not trying to veer the thread : just recognize the small company who simply save Buffalo players lives over the years.

Yes.

Malarchuk's life was saved due to quick action by the Sabres' athletic trainer, Jim Pizzutelli, a former US Army combat medic who served in the Vietnam War. He gripped Malarchuk's neck and pinched off the vein, not letting go until doctors arrived to begin stabilizing the wound. He led Malarchuk off the ice then applied extreme pressure by kneeling on his collarbone—a procedure[clarification needed] designed to produce a low breathing rate and low metabolic state, which is preferable to exsanguination. Malarchuk was conscious and talking on the way to the hospital, and jokingly asked paramedics if they could bring him back in time for the third period.[1] The game resumed when league personnel received word that Malarchuk was in stable condition.[8]

5 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Interesting that with doctors and emergency paramedics there an athletic trainer does the CPR.

With proper training, anyone can do CPR.  I’m sure Kellington has had extensive training for this type of scenario.  It shows in how they saved Damar’s life. 

Problem is, not everyone does proper CPR. The importance is proper depth and rhythm, or as they called it “High Quality CPR”.  Proper depth is 2” and 100 to 120 BPM to enable proper circulation.  Ventilation is also important for oxygenation. Intubating him as they did allowed for ventilation via an ambu bag allowing for little or no stopping of compressions.

It is not easy to perform CPR and keep up with the amount of pressure to achieve that depth and the proper amount of compressions per minute.  Sing the song “Staying Alive” in your head and that’s the rhythm you need to achieve.  It’s brute power to keep up with the depth needed.  

What this team of people at his side on the field did is nothing short of a miracle. Incredible response time and working flawlessly to save his life. Amazing work.

Edited by davefan66
  • Like (+1) 2

The Bills organization is filled with good people that aren't afraid to do their jobs & do it to the best of their abilities & I'm glad that they had this man working for the team to be there at the time Damar needed him to be & i am glad he is getting the recognition he deserves for his hard work & preparation up to that point .

I know that in our every one gets a trophy world in which we live that in some way the organization gives him the props he deserves because this isn't a every one get a trophy moment but a very well earned & very deserved moment of recognition for this man !! 

Huge shout out to Denny and the rest of those on the field who got out to Damar so fast.  Just so impressed with how quickly he recognized the dire situation and put his training into action.

All this has made me recall the CPR training I got in the Army at Ft. McClellan over 30 years ago.  I still remember the basics and have been mentally drilling them in case they are ever needed again.

I will be looking for a refresher course in my area soon and I recommend everyone take the time to learn CPR as well if they can.  The basic training course I did was not overwhelming and easy to understand and remember. Hopefully what they teach now isn’t all that different.  

Go Bills!!!

13 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Interesting that with doctors and emergency paramedics there an athletic trainer does the CPR.

Protocols in an CPR situation call for the first person there who knows what they are doing to do it. I assume he was the first one there and recognized what he needed to do.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.