TCU 37 UGA 30

ArdmoreRyno

17 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

OK, so here are the scoring totals of the Sugar Bowl and the Title Game.....

Alabama and Georgia (SEC) - 110

Kansas State and TCU (Big 12)- 27

Can the issue of conference parity be put to rest, at least for a while?

Is there anyone who believed the Big 12 was the equivalent of the SEC?

19 minutes ago, eball said:

Is there anyone who believed the Big 12 was the equivalent of the SEC?

Probably not but tons of complaining about the SEC dominating playoff spots.

Alabama lost 2 games by a combined 4 points and they were excluded. They went on to destroy Kansas State, who defeated TCU in their conference title matchup. 

Now, my question to you is: In retrospect, do you think that TCU belonged in the playoffs?

39 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Alabama lost 2 games by a combined 4 points and they were excluded. They went on to destroy Kansas State, who defeated TCU in their conference title matchup. 

Now, my question to you is: In retrospect, do you think that TCU belonged in the playoffs?

I don’t, but they went and beat Michigan…who I think everyone believes deserved to be there. So what are you going to do? There is no perfect answer until they expand the playoffs. 

30 minutes ago, eball said:

I don’t, but they went and beat Michigan…who I think everyone believes deserved to be there. So what are you going to do? There is no perfect answer until they expand the playoffs. 

The perfect answer is to just hand the trophy to Bama in late August.  Duh.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Bama lost to Tennessee who ended up with the same record as Bama and beat them.  

Now, my question to you is: In retrospect, do you think Bama deserved more consideration than Tennessee?

3 hours ago, eball said:

Expanding the playoffs is not going to do jack s**t.

The goal posts will be moved, and a new argument will emerge to expand the playoffs even more.

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Cynical said:

Expanding the playoffs is not going to do jack s**t.

The goal posts will be moved, and a new argument will emerge to expand the playoffs even more.

Not true.  The problem in college football has always been that only a very small number of schools actually have a chance.  First it was polling, now a "better" system but still only four have a chance.  Expanding to eight teams makes it better.  It's much less likely that a "deserving" team gets left out of an eight-team playoff.

Really, we are typically only talking about one or two teams who get "screwed" out of the playoff in a given year -- certainly no more than four.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, eball said:

Not true.  The problem in college football has always been that only a very small number of schools actually have a chance.  First it was polling, now a "better" system but still only four have a chance.  Expanding to eight teams makes it better.  It's much less likely that a "deserving" team gets left out of an eight-team playoff.

Really, we are typically only talking about one or two teams who get "screwed" out of the playoff in a given year -- certainly no more than four.

The BCS pitted the consensus #1 vs #2. People bitched.

The CFB now includes the consensus top 4. And people are bitching.

It will expand to 12 teams. Watch what happens. People will B word after a couple years how the same teams are constantly in it.

"The problem in college football has always been that only a very small number of schools actually have a chance."

This has been a reality for decades, even during the AP/UPI polling days.

It will not change just because "x" amount of teams can now make the playoffs.

Adding even less deserving teams to the mix is not going to improve anything.

What do you think will happen when those less deserving teams get blown out?

Answer: Even more undeserving teams will need to be added! Expand the playoffs to 16! 24!

• Disagree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

@Cynical -- maybe you're right.  I hope not.  I hope people realize that you just need to eliminate the argument from one or two schools per year who say they "should" have gotten in.  But I'm probably naive.  This year, there is no question that Alabama and Tennessee had legitimate arguments to be included.

You know, there's a part of me that wants it to just go back to the polls...

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Bama lost to Tennessee who ended up with the same record as Bama and beat them.  

Now, my question to you is: In retrospect, do you think Bama deserved more consideration than Tennessee?

I don't know. They did give up 63 points to South Carolina and their qb got hurt.

That said, why are you asking me? Why not ask the AP voters, etc.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings

Now, my question to you is: Do you seethe with jealousy and anger 24/7 365 days a year or do you take occasional emotional breaks?  😆🤣😂

Edited by Bill from NYC

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

I don't know. They did give up 63 points to South Carolina and their qb got hurt.

That said, why are you asking me? Why not ask the AP voters, etc.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings

Now, my question to you is: Do you seethe with jealousy and anger 24/7 365 days a year or do you take occasional emotional breaks?  😆🤣😂

I don’t seethe with anything.  I marvel.  I marvel at the complete lack of objectivity regarding Bama.  If any two teams not named Bama were in that scenario, the team with Tennessee’s record would be ranked higher.  If they weren’t, objective people would point out the inequity.   But when Bama is involved, head to head results, the number one tiebreaker in every league in the history of sports, goes poof and we’re all supposed to react as if we are characters in an Orwell novel.  I prefer to stick to basic standards but you do you.  Roll Tide.

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

But when Bama is involved, head to head results, the number one tiebreaker in every league in the history of sports, goes poof and we’re all supposed to react as if we are characters in an Orwell novel.  

Is it always the #1 tiebreaker? Kansas State beat TCU, didn't they? It gave them the chance to get steamrolled and disgraced by Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. Should they have finished ahead of TCU? If Alabama was in that game, do you think the score would have been 65-7? Strength of schedule should and does also matter. The entire Big 12 was pretty lousy overall this season, wouldn't you say? C'mon, can we have a serious conversation?

If you check out my posts on this board, I did not complain about Alabama getting in. It was not a good year for Alabama. I mean, they lost 2 games by a combined 4 points.  That said, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they would have utterly destroyed TCU, much like Georgia did. But, they did lose 2 games and this paved the way for inferior teams to get into the playoffs. 

Maybe you will feel better at least for a while with the 12 game playoff system. It will allow more inferior teams to "contend" for the title. Still, something tells me that you will be crying out for a 32 team playoff system. 

https://www.facebook.com/BamaOnLine/photos/a.608553272527278/5836521939730359/

Edited by Bill from NYC

51 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Is it always the #1 tiebreaker? Kansas State beat TCU, didn't they? It gave them the chance to get steamrolled and disgraced by Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. Should they have finished ahead of TCU? If Alabama was in that game, do you think the score would have been 65-7? Strength of schedule should and does also matter. The entire Big 12 was pretty lousy overall this season, wouldn't you say? C'mon, can we have a serious conversation?

If you check out my posts on this board, I did not complain about Alabama getting in. It was not a good year for Alabama. I mean, they lost 2 games by a combined 4 points.  That said, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they would have utterly destroyed TCU, much like Georgia did. But, they did lose 2 games and this paved the way for inferior teams to get into the playoffs. 

Maybe you will feel better at least for a while with the 12 game playoff system. It will allow more inferior teams to "contend" for the title. Still, something tells me that you will be crying out for a 32 team playoff system. 

https://www.facebook.com/BamaOnLine/photos/a.608553272527278/5836521939730359/

I realize you are only about Alabama but there is something called Google available and for now it contains pointless information about things other than just Alabama football. Hopefully someday it will clear the clutter and only contain info pertaining to the Tide. It currently indicates that K State had two losses, which means there was no tiebreaker involved with TCU.  

The comparison/tie breaker discussion here is about Tenn/Bama.  Argue about the Big 12 all you want.  The Animal Farm tiebreaker said all the SEC animals are equal but Bama is more equal than Tenn.

I don’t get why they even bother having college football outside the SEC.  Well I guess you need teams like The Citadel to round out the Bama schedule but the Big 12 should go away for sure.  It’s not as if a team like Texas could stay within 28 points of Alabama.

On 1/5/2023 at 4:30 PM, ArdmoreRyno said:

Making my pick. Not 100% a Big XII homer in this one, but close. I think TCU has just enough to beat Georgia and how they play as a TEAM will get them the win. Pure grit. 

Quentin Johnston is a game changer and believe TCU is the only WR/QB combo that is as good as any UGA has faced this year. Ohio State lit up the Bulldogs in the air. 

This went well

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.